Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Orc

Default Nevergrind - HTML5 Action RPG

Hey guys, I wanted to share this game here at P1999. I've been developing it for over 30 months in my spare time. Nevergrind is like a cross between classic Everquest, Diablo 2, and Phantasy Star. In fact it was originally designed to be a lot like Everquest. Everything from zones, quests, races, classes, and even NPCs. But over time it changed due to IP concerns and a desire to eventually monetize. Nonetheless, the game is still heavily steeped in Everquest stuffs. Check it out and see what you think. Maybe finish a few quests in between corpse runs or medding to FM. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nevergrind

Right now game data only saves locally, but I launched a Kickstarter in part to celebrate the launch of server accounts which come out next month. It's also free-to-play aside from some premium features. Any feedback you have would be cool, too.

Nevergrind on Kickstarter
Last edited by Maelfyn; 03-27-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Looks interesting, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Personally however I think I'll pass, because:

A) it seems like the entire game is just the "fight" sub-section of a real RPG
B) I'm not a fan of the name. Maybe the title is a clever riff on meta-game design, but to me ... I want to immerse myself in a fantasy environment; I don't want to just "not grind". I didn't start playing EverQuest because I wanted to grind, I joined because I wanted to quest forever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But that's just my two cents, hope you find lots of folks who feel differently.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-19-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

nevergrind has the pharmakos seal of approval. been playing this for almost two years now, and it has come a long way. it started out using all art from classic EverQuest (here's an old video of a Vox fight from back in those days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8GF7Dkppoo). now Maelfyn has all original art and lore, here's a video of what its like now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djnBBZ6tv4E.

the kickstarter already has $1000 pledged to it after just a day and a half of being open, which surprised me a lot, but is pretty awesome IMO.

and yeah loramin, NeverGrind as a word is almost the opposite of what this game is. can pretty much grind forever in this game.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Fire Giant

Any game with some sort of f2p currency always makes me wary. What are these Never Crystals in the rewards?

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 03-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Sarnak

Will definitely check it out. I really wish Iksar was a choice though.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

You can't just keep bringing this to my attention all willy nilly like you keep doing Maelfyn. Each time you do I dump like an entire week into it.

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Orc

The Never Crystals are the in-game currency which will be used to purchase premium features. They won't be in the game until server accounts are released. They'll also be transferable to other future games I make (if any). In any case the game will still be completely f2p on normal difficulty.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Orc

Loramin, if I add an overworld and random battles a la Final Fantasy, will you like it more?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelfyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loramin, if I add an overworld and random battles a la Final Fantasy, will you like it more?
Well, first off I'm not sure you should even listen to my opinion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I mean, look at Tetris: you could say "well that's just the /gems part of EverQuest without all the other good parts", but (obviously) Tetris mops the floor with EQ in terms of popularity. Similarly here, plenty of people would probably love a pure-fight game.

For me though what it all boils down to is just having some imaginary meaning to the fights. That could come in the form of a Final Fantasy-esque overworld, or it could be something entirely different. But at the end of the day I want to rescue a princess (and kill the monsters guarding her), or deliver a message a bard gave me (and kill the monsters in my way) or save up coins (that I get by killing monsters) to buy a magic sword +42. I don't want to just kill monsters.

When I think back on RPGs I've enjoyed, from Fallout 3 to EverQuest and even back to Wizardy, I remember enjoying more than just the tactical challenge of the fights. I also enjoyed exploring dungeons, seeing a new world, and talking to NPCs.

TLDR; my opinion is worthless, but if you want it then give the fights some meaning, somehow.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Orc

Oh, I hear you. You definitely have a valid point. If I had more time and a bigger budget this game would have an overworld. At one point I actually started working on a sprite map for the overworld tiles, but ended up deciding against it. I probably never would have finished if I put the overworld in. But maybe I'll add it later. Who knows?

In any case that's the reason I focused on the battles. Plus it's a browser game and I think people expect more simplicity from a browser game. Though I'm sure HTML5 games will become more complex over time. I could basically make any 16-bit RPG in HTML5 if I had the time and budget.