Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As someone new to this server and someone not affected by the XP penalty thing (DE enchanter) - unless I group with one of those poor souls - I think some of you are "IT'S CLASSIC DEWD WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT **CLASSIC**!!?!?!?" closed-minded to the point of being ridiculous. Most of you probably didn't even the the entire OP.

So, what exactly *IS* the point of a Troll SK having a 68% XP penalty, and inflicting it on any group he's in with them having reduced XP? There are many things in P1999 that weren't in pre-Kunark "Classis" EQ, so don't give us that "purist" crap. What possibly reasoning could you have? It robs the fun of that Troll SK player and everybody they group with, so what possible positive effect is it having unless you're just a massive masochist?

Personally, I'm damn happy I found this server, and am donating $50 to the dev team for their great work. I also played "Classic" EQ from launch and for many years thereafter, with many max-level characters. I just thought I'd set that out there, so you don't give me the "newbie doesn't know what they're talking about" BS.

- Zahasha, Dark Elf enchantress
Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

EQ is masochistic in many ways. This is just one of them.

The devs didn't come up with these ideas, the creators of the game did. The server is attempting to mimic what happened on live, be it bad or good. That's the goal.

Don't think of it as something that is being done to make people happy. Think of it as an art project, a scale model. The goal is to replicate the original.

If you're make a scale replica of the Statue of Liberty you are probably going use the same materials. It doesn't matter if you know that the metal will eventually turn green due to oxidation. You are trying to be accurate to the source material. (not my best analogy, but you get what I'm saying)
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Here's the deal.

Having the hybrids penalize the groups with their penalty WAS classic.

However, once players determined this was happening, the cat was out of the bag and, because grouping favored the holy trinity and made it already hard enough for hybrids to get groups, Sony had to correct it in order not to alienate a large portion of their playerbase from being able to get groups, and thus in most cases, being able to play the game.

However, you can't un-know what is already known. Knowing that the hybrid penalty also impacts the group, the stigma of having a hybrid in your group happens MUCH EARLIER in the timeline, and therefore is not classic. Since you can not make everyone conveniently forget this occurred, the only way to keep things classic is to stop penalizing the group with each member's individual class/race penalty or however they fixed it.

For example, in classic, a hybrid could get a group without too much difficulty because no one knew that their 40% or whatever penalty was impacting the group. On this server, we knew this from the start, and the hybrid has a significantly more difficult time getting a group because of it. So how is that classic? Add to the fact that we don't have the population of the Live servers back in the 1999-2000 timeframe, so you're making it even harder for hybrids to be accepted into groups, when grouping opportunities are already sparse as it is.

Correcting this would be similar to fixing various exploits/pathing bugs/etc RIGHT NOW before they were actually corrected in the original timeline. I don't have any particular examples of this, but of course no one would knowingly let something that is detrimental to the health of the server go on just for the sake of "following the timeline", right?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahasha [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are many things in P1999 that weren't in pre-Kunark "Classis" EQ, so don't give us that "purist" crap.
Statement debunked multiple times in multiple threads.
If it's not classic it either can't be changed because of the client, or hasn't been changed yet. If it can be changed, I guarantee you 99.95% of the time it will be when devs get around to it.

That "purist" crap should be why you're here. If it's not I recommend finding another server.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihealyou [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chewbacca is a wookie. Wookies are from Kashik. But Chewbacca is from Endor! It doesn't make sense! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, that is why you must change back the xp penalties.
This reply is better than Jboots.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Fire Giant

Default asdf

Quote:
One of the great things about classic EQ was the need to group with other people, sharing the hybrid exp penalty amongst the group puts people off forming your classic Tank/DPS/HEALS/CC group to rather form OP pet groups at the expense of several key classes.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfight
"President, its time to shut the fuck up."
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Kobold

Artificially increased play time wins again! it was all a ploy to get people to play longer and spend more money!!! we dont need it here anymore the game is freeeeeee. jk haha i type this as i listen to Beep's post "why cant we be friends" ty beep we can be friends sir.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Chug some donkey dick. Now that is a reply.

Seriously though, you expected us to not fix these back the way they were?

Not sure about $th edition AD&D, but, 3rd fo sho still had varied XP tables. And EQ was a game built off a PNP RPG.

If more people creating MMO's thought like my old DM's and to some degree myself, you'd end up with much better game play & mechanics.

I'm drunk and can't remember the name of the module but... it had the falling ceiling that did 15d10 damage and the sphere of disintegration in that statue and the notes said "Encourage your players to put their fingers inside the statue. After the first person disappears hint to them it might be a portal of some kind." Seriously...people are soft these days. Nothing more fun for a DM than killing an entire party (including all followers!) in the first 3 rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihealyou [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chewbacca is a wookie. Wookies are from Kashik. But Chewbacca is from Endor! It doesn't make sense! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, that is why you must change back the xp penalties.
lol
Old 07-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Sarnak

Aeolwind, bring back roleplay and I will hail you as a god.
Closed Thread