Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Sarnak

Default Are we looking for this...?

"Quellious informs us after Zeb's release, during PoP, that time has been reset. Verrant had only written through Planes of Power... SoE took over after Velious... My Gods! Verrant wrote the expansions through PoP (the story line) and SoE fucked it up after SoE took over during Velious expansion. Luclin, and PoP, need some work but may be AMAZING expansions! End to PoK and PoK stones! The end to the Bazaar! The end to the Nexus porting (aside from a Wizard whom may port you up)! The end to mounts! This may (in my unhealthy imagination) be the formula for the BEST gaming experience ever!!!"

I risk sabotaging my "EverQuest Hoaxes" thread, but this is something I posted that makes too much sense to me. I never HATED Luclin, or PoP. I only hated aspects of it... I did then despise GoD... The first expansion lore SoE would have written...

Remember all. Verrant (our EQ Trilogy writers) also wrote Luclin and Planes of Power. SOE only adopted EQ after Velious... SOE fucked up only a few aspects of our game. These few errors may be corrected.

This is also no pressure on our P99 devs. They have done so much than I could have imagined to already have brought us a (quite, nearly, most almost certainly) classic server. Your Team has brought much happiness to myself, and everybody else on these two servers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But... Please finish Velious!!!

*edit* SoE claimed they couldn't have done what this Team has done! Look up old progression server notes if you can't believe this statement, but I understand you already know and respect this Team greatly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Meiva; 07-03-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Aviak

cats on the moon makes me cry ;_;
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Fire Giant

SOE owned them from the start. The Lore developer (who had been there from the start) moved onto EQ2 to continue the "Time Reset" storyline. He went by Vhalen on the forums. The EQ2 storyline went to hell too once he left after the Void expansion (can't remember the name).

For instance, Lucan D'Lere was the name of one of Vhalen's characters in a DND game he ran before writing EQ lore. Oh, and the NPC bard "Vhalen." Guy had some talent IMO.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Fire Giant

An experimental "what should have been" p99 server would actually be pretty cool. I'd be willing to help on something like that - I've been looking at all the EMu tools though, and they seem a bit.... primitive.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cats on the moon makes me cry ;_;
Well.. Are they not evolved forms of Kerrans? Brought to the moon Luclin while the Combine/Scions were working on these teleportation "skills"? The Combine Spires have been around since Classic...

I can see Kerran pets being brought to Luclin by their Combine slavers. They escape. Learn to survive on an alien planet... I do NOT know Vah' Shir lore, and I feel I must stop before I embarrass myself any further...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An experimental "what should have been" p99 server would actually be pretty cool. I'd be willing to help on something like that - I've been looking at all the EMu tools though, and they seem a bit.... primitive.
I'd never desire to see anything challenge P99. Seriously, this server is so FRICKEN amazing. I would have never joined an EQ forum if it wasn't for a P99.

*edit* But I would be intrigued by a true Verrant (lore) server. I absolutely am grateful for P99... As we all are (whether you a-holes admit it or not).
Last edited by Meiva; 07-03-2013 at 09:23 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SOE owned them from the start. The Lore developer (who had been there from the start) moved onto EQ2 to continue the "Time Reset" storyline. He went by Vhalen on the forums. The EQ2 storyline went to hell too once he left after the Void expansion (can't remember the name).

For instance, Lucan D'Lere was the name of one of Vhalen's characters in a DND game he ran before writing EQ lore. Oh, and the NPC bard "Vhalen." Guy had some talent IMO.
This is just not true, but is proof if something is repeated enough everyone eventually thinks it's true. Verant was started by Smed and Brad, and sold to SOE later (during Velious I believe).

I recant. Another bunch of searching has confirmed that Verant was always a subsidiary of SoE (or 989 Studios as it was called at the time).

I'm not sure SOE even existed as SOE at the time Verant was formed. It was called something else first. Sony money was involved I think, but creative control was entirely with Brad et al until the handover (and decline) years later. There are more than a few interviews by Brad and Smed on this if anyone wants to Google, and I linked one on another thread not so long ago.

SOE have the inverse of the golden touch, whatever you call that. They just cannot seem to make good games, and everything they touch turns a brutal shade of mediocre.
Last edited by t0lkien; 07-04-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is just not true, but is proof if something is repeated enough everyone eventually thinks it's true. Verant was started by Smed and Brad, and sold to SOE later (during Velious I believe). I'm not sure SOE even existed as SOE at the time Verant was formed. It was called something else first. Sony money was involved I think, but creative control was entirely with Brad et al until the handover (and decline) years later. There are more than a few interviews by Brad and Smed on this if anyone wants to Google, and I linked one on another thread not so long ago.

SOE have the inverse of the golden touch, whatever you call that. They just cannot make good games, and everything they touch turns a brutal shade of mediocre.
This! Verant (not Verrant, as my prior posts) wrote EQ through PoP. I do, however, believe SoE was around prior to the EQ adoption during the Velious era. I have absolutely NO evidence to back that up, however.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like a plan to me.

Once Quarm is killed, Norrath reverts back to its origin, and server resets.

Wait, what?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

Velious and PoP were my fav expansions. I loved PoP, the content was there and the progression was fun, finally beating Coirnav and getting into time after alot of wipes was amazing. Small tear.
Closed Thread