Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think the Fires of Heaven post is that great because its kind of vague 'oh we could do this' when in reality he probably died 10 times for every time he killed a giant or two.

But if you read Xornns enchanter guide and do a little math its just obvious that at 55, in Kunark and Velious, he could get 4-5 minute charms on L50 mobs pretty frequently even without malo. The posts on castersrealm just back that up. I really don't see how anyone can read this thread and claim that our current charm durations are classic.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Kobold

so when are they gonna fix this?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Aviak

i dont know but i have not played more then 3 hours since the charm nerf.

My enchanter is dead at 58 atm. Will stay that way unless they fix it.
i understand that not every enchanter like soloing with the risk attributed to it but i did like many others and now enchanter are just good for crack and haste.
the class is dead....
Last edited by ziahh; 04-29-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Kobold

do like me, start a twink
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow*qc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do like me, start a twink
i have 3 already. no thx. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ziahh the nuke lv 51 wizard
picklenose halflingtoes 51 shaman
Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Think about it, if you were a dev and you were getting complaints about how OP charm was, what would you do? The current system needs to be overhauled. I guarantee they decided to nerf it to be unusable to make all the non charming classes happy while they fix the charm system. Either that or everyone on project1999 team has a grudge against Enchanters....
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziahh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont know but i have not played more then 3 hours since the charm nerf.

My enchanter is dead at 58 atm. Will stay that way unless they fix it.
i understand that not every enchanter like soloing with the risk attributed to it but i did like many others and now enchanter are just good for crack and haste.
the class is dead....
During the 58 levels you went through charm soloing, and having played a few alts as a comparative reference, did at no point you think that enchanters were kind of OP? Considering at their pre-nerf state they were mages with better pets, cc, and mana regen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

Well, I've seen plenty of chanters lfg lately, and have had zero problems getting clarity at all times.

I can only conclude that the people whining, bitching, and quiting on the messages boards are the small minority.

I hope it never gets changed.

See ya!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think the class is dead without charm. Charm is (was) certainly the most awesomely cool ability of the class but aside from buffs we can also be very effective in groups with slow, stun, manataps, mez, etc. Think about it: if you bring an enchanter, your damage goes up 50%, and their damage goes down 50%. It's like playing the game on a reduced difficulty setting. Enchanters are and are supposed to be awesome in groups.

The general decision here has been that Verant gets to make the decisions about what is OP and what is not. I think its pretty clear that the latest charm durations deviate from that significantly. The question is whether or not the devs will bring them back in line with classic or not. Either way, I'm not going to quit my character, and I appreciate the free server. My engineering background just feels like this is, well, wrong.

P.S. Nalkin is a mage who, despite having it explained to him several times, doesn't understand that there is a huge difference between charming in a group with a shaman/mage for malo and a cleric to heal you on charm breaks and soloing.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Large Bat

Just throwing this out there...I charm soloed damn near everything that wasnt a dragon on in a plane in classic. Ghoul Lord, Ghoul King (I actually soloed him WITH the ghoul lord once...long story), Effreti, Fire Giants ( though I never made it to Rokyl or whatever his name is...the last named one by Nag), etc. Started in my 30's soloing the spectres in Oasis and just kept moving on from there. This was mainly just due to the fact that there was nothing else to do; and since I had no life at the time I may as well try it while the group I played with wasnt on =D

That said: I died doing it. ALOT. A whole lot. Particularly with fire giants, if I remember correctly. Charm was never very reliable in classic. Of course, I havent logged on to P1999 in months, and never leveled past like level 30 anyway, so I have no dog in the fight as to how it is here (though I plan on playing some more now that Kunark is live). I'm just pointing out that charm by it's very nature is stupidly overpowered in a game like EQ, where the power of the average MoB is so vastly superior to that of the average equal leveled PC. It was always very unreliable in classic, and even Kunark....but it wasnt really until Kunark and after that people actually tried to use it very much as a tactic. It got better in Vellious, which I always assumed was a bone Verant threw to enchanters for going from an Xpac like Kunark, where enchanters were essentially gods, to an expansion like V where most every later game (not even end game) MoB was either giant flagged, or just immune to magic...basically making enchanters only good for buffing.
Closed Thread