Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Sarnak

Default The Secret War

Anyone try The Secret War?

I liked Age of Conan, at least until max level when it turned into a zerg fest for contested zones/resources.

Haven't heard much about it though.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Aviak

The secret world (the secret war is a subplot in the game, waged between three competing secret societies)

I like it. Its a nice move away from fantasy. It is also nice to have a game that is not kid friendly (cursing and some sexy time). it has a bit of learning curve, it doesn't have a tutorial but once you get into it things make sense.

the core of the game is around building your deck (7 actives, 7 passives, 7 gear slots, 2 weapons) which is why it takes a bit to get into the really cool parts of the game. you have to have accumulated enough xp to really start to branch out on the skill wheel before you can start to make some of the more complex builds.

Its a good game, great story line, and continual content updates.

there is a free 3 day trial and the game itself is on sale on amazon right now.
Last edited by Gremel; 10-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Sarnak

Thanks Gremel, pretty nice for a little info on this, I wondered about it too.. gonna download the trial.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Kobold

Heard it sounds great, but is actually awful to play.

Just like any other Funcom game, I guess.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Aviak

I don't think the game play is awful by any stretch. it is a fairly active combat, you have to constantly be aware of stuff around you and you can dodge out of things, movement doesn't break casting (or shooting, or stabbing/crushing) with the exception of line of sight issues.

there were definitely some quality of play issues early on, but a solid chunk of the early bugs have been patched.

You really have to understand how the skill wheel works or you can make the game very difficult to play -- once you get some of the key build concepts you can figure out ways to take fights that were near impossible with one build and make them far more doable with different deck designs.

The game is actually built to encourage you to adjust your build at times -- one area may be full of group fights that encourage more aoe damage where the next area is single target encounters, one group of monsters may get debuffed based on DoTs while the next group gets buffed if you do not hinder (root/snare) them.

grouping expands on the build concept as you can build complimentary decks, that feed off each other.

your decks consist of two weapons from which you can pick your 7 active abilities, and then you have 7 passive abilities (which can come from any weapon not just the 2 you have equipped)

you can change your deck anytime when you are not in combat.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Sarnak

I actually liked Age of Conan and was hoping for a similar interface. AOC just ran out of content for level 80s otherwise I'd probably still be playing.

I picked up TSW and am very unimpressed. It seems to play like a diablo or WOW game, lots of clicking for little or no reason, basically just spamming your attacks over and over. And the character skill tree is such a ridiculous mess. I don't know how anyone could find that intuitive or useful. This game is a hot mess. Glad I got it on sale, and I won't be subscribing.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker000 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heard it sounds great, but is actually awful to play.

Just like any other Funcom game, I guess.
AO: SL was actually quite fun to play. Original rubi-ka left a bit to be desired (lol tower pinging) but, SL had actually quite nice pve, class balance, and areas not centered around those godforsaken mission hubs.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeallunRumblebelly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

AO: SL was actually quite fun to play. Original rubi-ka left a bit to be desired (lol tower pinging) but, SL had actually quite nice pve, class balance, and areas not centered around those godforsaken mission hubs.
Agree^ Anarchy Online is just amazing. Probably my favorite MMO of all time (Yes, I said it on P99's forum).
Closed Thread