Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
waaah i am a lazy sack of shit that took three times as long as it should have to get my degree, which by the way was for a useless liberal arts topic of which little/no jobs exist for. this coupled with my piss poor life management skills and desire to party like a teenager into my late 20s instead of lay a solid foundation for my life means that i am back living with my parents raiding their refrigerator at 30 years old and am a hundred grand in debt.

since i am a freeloading piece of shit with no job or ambition i shall gather with thousands of equally worthless sacks of shit in the town square demanding those not as stupid as me forgive my debts that i accrued on my own and give me some handouts to boot, i shall somehow say it is bush's fault and pretend like i am part of a "movement"

i am the 99% (of whats wrong with the fucking country)
hi, i'm an ambitious science major who is graduating (on time) from a top university in my field. As an ambitious scientist my only valid career option after graduation is to move abroad to a country where medical research is supported properly. My education was a scam and my family is now enslaved by the debt it took to put me in this actually not-so-advantageous position.

This system does not work. If you think it does, you've never tried to climb from the American lower-middle class to something better. I congratulate you on your fortunate birth (or contentment with poverty), but if you think a majority of the American public is on the verge of armed revolt because they're "lazy sacks of shit", you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

you're all fucking dum not reading your essays of dum praising Goldman Sachs for creating the planet

I support all the anti-establishment movements, tea party, occupy, et al. cuz I am not dum
Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

deniers are lemmings following their oil financed leaders over the cliff
Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by naez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I support ... tea party ... I am ... dum

lol wut
Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Banned

tea party the libertarian grassroots offshoot of the Paul campaign, not the neocon fox news co-opted sarah palin abomination
Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Kobold

"Democracy, Republic: What do these words signify? What have they changed in the world? Have men become better, more loyal, kinder? Are the people happier? All goes on as before, as always. Illusions, illusions"

"It is both the duty and responsibility of the world's fortunate few to help fulfil the legitimate aspirations of the unfortunate many"

"That which man dreams of and to Which he aspires, unless fulfilled in his own lifetime, can produce no actual satisfaction to him. It will be self deceiving and a waste of time to advocate dialogue with those who are not ready to listen, because it is obvious that the freedom of millions is not a commodity subject to bargaining. It is better to die free than to live as slaves. "

Advice from the Greatest Leader of the 20th Century
Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

'Cause - 'cause we've been trodding on ya winepress much too long:
Rebel, rebel!
And we've been taken for granted much too long:
Rebel, rebel now!
(Bob Marley - Babylon System)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresprophet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of this is true. Not a sentence of it. The money spent on defense and welfare is largely a fixed amount (at the federal level anyway), federal government programs often outperform the private sector in terms of administrative overhead, and the "efficiency" of government is a non-issue when you consider that it is meant to fill roles that the private sector will not, cannot, and should not. It's not there to make money, it's there to perform certain essential functions regardless of efficiency.
I don't know where you're getting that from, but it's demonstrably false. The money we spend on defense and welfare is *not* fixed by any reasonable definition of the term. The dollar amount, percentage of GDP, and dispersal of funding fluctuates significantly from year to year for defense spending. Moreover, as recently as a few months ago, Congress passed a bill that required ~$450 billion in defense spending cuts over the next 10 years. That's, by definition, not fixed. It changes constantly. It's a safe bet that with increased tax revenue would come more expenditure on defense, and had we already increased tax revenue, those defense cuts likely never would have been realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresprophet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought "comfort" wasn't something we were supposed to guarantee? I'd rather live on welfare than slave for 40 hours a week on minimum wage, but that's not the reason we have high unemployment.
Comfort is not a right, but it should be attainable for the employed. A minimum wage that provides a modicum of comfort for the employed would go a long way toward eliminating the need for many welfare programs. And yes, a large reason for the number of unemployed is the fact that working minimum wage is less desirable than simply collecting welfare. You can't improve your lot on current minimum wage, so why bother? There's no shortage of jobs at Subway, McDonald's, or a million other businesses that pay minimum wage. The fact is that millions of people choose not to do that kind of work because minimum wage isn't worth the effort to them.

Quote:
Yes, actually, it is. Because you can't throw hundreds of billions of dollars (in the case of health care trillions of dollars) at problems without those dollars coming from somewhere.
Who decided it was desirable to "throw" hundreds of billions -- or trillions -- of dollars at health care? The current health care system doesn't work, no matter how much you tax the wealthy. We already spend more per citizen on health care than any other nation in the world -- what is more money going to fix? Dumping more money into it will just delay the inevitable, which is reform. Our national health care programs are insolvent, and our private health care industry is broken. "Tax the rich" sounds nice if you're not rich, but it's not actually a solution. It's a bumper sticker. There has yet to be a comprehensive, fair, and workable healthcare solution presented -- no matter how much revenue is brought in.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're smart until your last sentence.

I guess everyone is going to have a different line, but since you quoted me, my line is right about here (in approximate order of importance):

Shelter. Food. Medicine (really great healthcare for all people). Defense (actual defense, not "defense" as a euphemism for being a colonial empire). Education (preschool-doctorate). Infrastructure (better roads, highways, bridges, public transit, emergency services [police, fire, ems, disaster response], better water & power systems). Public works & entertainment (monuments, spectacles [4th of July, NYE], speeches & debates).

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's the jist.

Most of these are things that #1 we already provide in some form, or at least purport to provide, and that #2 are provided in countries with higher (flatter) taxes on the rich, which are still somehow able to provide enough incentives to corporations to stay there despite the higher taxes (defeating the argument which states that the money will run if taxes are raised).

I'm not proposing to put Shaquiniquila - mother of 9 children - up at The Ritz. I agree that it should be uncomfortable to ask for assistance. I agree that the current systems in this country have failed miserably. That is no fucking excuse for letting people go hungry but for the charity of strangers. Those people shouldn't have to beg on the streets while the fat cats cruise their helipad-equipped yachts on Uncle Sam's dime.

That shit is fucking ridiculous. We hook the banks up with billions, and that's cool, but when it comes to obtaining enough money to scrape by, you bitches wanna cry foul. It's cool to throw hundreds of billions of dollars on the military so that they can go do some shit in some other country, but it's near-impossible for someone who has worked their entire life in the trades and has ended up actually disabled and poor in this country to get any assistance for being really disabled or really being poor. I know lots of stories like that, and I'm sure if you think about it you do too.

I'm not talking about trailer trash freeloaders or EBT trading crackheads. They actually have an easier time of it because there are so many private outreach programs set up for abused women etc. to supplement the shitty government program.

No private outreach programs set up for 45 year old blue collar guys without the ability to work.

Meanwhile the CEO's apply their cost/benefit analysis to whether or not to squeeze every dime out of the customer through engineered faults (WHY THE FUCK AREN'T CELL PHONES WATERPROOF???) and planned obsolescence or actually try to provide a good product that will last. They decide fuck you, put some colored lights on it, you'll buy it anyway.

..and thus the people take the streets.
I don't disagree with 99% of what you say. I'd nitpick your idea of defense, because I do believe that the US plays a dominant (and massively advantageous) role within world politics as a unipolar power with prohibitive military might, but let's not get into that.

The fact is that the government already has more than enough money to achieve everything you've stated. Read your complaints -- they're almost all government-focused. Like I just posted above, we already spend more per-citizen on health care than any other nation in the world. We could feed every homeless person in America 3 meals a day every day for less than what we spent on foreign aid to Egypt this year. It's not about the revenue. It's about the priorities. Whether you see them as representative of their constituencies or not, the leaders in government do not particularly care about infrastructure or public works. Education? Meh -- that's what the internet is for. Shelter for the impoverished? Not a huge concern. In fairness, food they do provide. If you're starving, you're not using the public funds and programs at your disposal. You may not be well-fed, but you won't starve to death. But the point is that more taxes are not going to magically fix this. Do you realize how much our government spends? We literally are so deep in debt that if you had spent $1 million every single day since Jesus was born, you wouldn't be as deep in debt as the United States. They're not strapped for cash. They just genuinely don't care all that much. There are a million things they're trying to juggle and pursue, and in the grand scheme of things, they don't care how well the bridges hold up, or whether homeless people have a place to sleep every night, or whether your kid knows that dinosaurs didn't build the pyramids.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Wiseau [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hi, i'm an ambitious science major who is graduating (on time) from a top university in my field. As an ambitious scientist my only valid career option after graduation is to move abroad to a country where medical research is supported properly. My education was a scam and my family is now enslaved by the debt it took to put me in this actually not-so-advantageous position.

This system does not work. If you think it does, you've never tried to climb from the American lower-middle class to something better. I congratulate you on your fortunate birth (or contentment with poverty), but if you think a majority of the American public is on the verge of armed revolt because they're "lazy sacks of shit", you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.
hilarious and exactly what im talking about verbatim.

YOU selected a field that did not offer the career options you find acceptable and somehow that is anyone elses fault but yours.

YOU decided you had to go to a "top university" instead of one the myriad of others that teach the exact same shit.

YOU decided that the tuition was acceptable when signing up, probably because YOU did not have to pay for it, but rather your family who you have selfishly put into "financial ruin" to pay for your worthless fucking degree instead of putting yourself through school the way someone with a sense of dignity and self worth does.

YOU are what is wrong with the country, not wall street and those "eeeeevil bankers"

armed revolt? against who dumbfuck? bank of america? lol
Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hilarious and exactly what im talking about verbatim.

YOU selected a field that did not offer the career options you find acceptable and somehow that is anyone elses fault but yours.

YOU decided you had to go to a "top university" instead of one the myriad of others that teach the exact same shit for a much lower cost.

YOU decided that the tuition was acceptable when signing up, probably because YOU did not have to pay for it, but rather your family who you have selfishly put into "financial ruin" to pay for your worthless fucking degree instead of putting yourself through school the way someone with a sense of dignity and self worth does.

YOU are what is wrong with the country, not wall street and those "eeeeevil bankers"

armed revolt? against who dumbfuck? bank of america? lol
Closed Thread