Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Kobold

Default Dungeons with mostly melee mobs?

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for reading the post. Basically, the question is this: what dungeons offer a mob mix with a below average frequency of casters?

The reason I ask is that healers tend to chain heal, int casters tend to chain nuke, and for a guy trying to solo or work with a small group (3 or fewer), it can be pretty daunting waiting out a healer's mana pool or recovering from a non-stop artillery barrage of nukes. Well-timed slams/shield bashs and stuns help, but all it takes is a miss and the enemy has regained 30% of its health or has claimed 15% of yours! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So all of that to say, Im a shadowknight, creeping towards 40th level, and very interested in finding some good pockets (even if its not a whole dungeon) of melee enemies that I can meet on even footing. My sweet spot right now is enemies in the low 30's, but Im open to all suggestions!

Thanks again, and looking forward to some suggestions!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

I can't really think of any right now in your level range with minimal casters, most likely because there aren't any. Dungeons were intended to be difficult due to better experience and loot gains.

It also doesn't really help that casters can cast through walls here, dunno if I remember that being classic or not.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

well unfortunately our casters are using better spell choices than they did in classic- this is an issue brought up in bug section already but Im not sure they can fix it.

dungeons were definitely easier when you didnt have wizards spamming nukes and shamans chain healing and doting
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

At your level with a trio you could try like raster in lguk or gargoyles, but I bet there won't be enough mobs to get only melee mobs. Raster you can pull some frogs on the side and they probably will be 50/50. Im not entirely sure on those mobs' levels though, you would have to check.

The only dungeon I can think of (outdoor dungeon, maybe not a dungeon?) that doesnt have casters that you can look forward to is CoM. You can probably go their in your low 40s with a small group and do the mobs around the entrance and stables. They are mostly undead too so you can utilize a lot of those SK spells you have.

SolB is a decent place too even with casters, there are quite a few shamans when it comes to Kobolds, but they are so weak and have such little HP they really do just melt. Once you get 45+ you can go to BNB and not have to deal with casters.

Solo you would have to definitely get a few more levels under your belt from what I said to be able to do it effectively. If you want to solo I'd just go to OT and fear kite or something.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Fire Giant

In Solb you could probably do the bugs and bats areas - just stay away from the kobolds [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

edit: bleh, Bizzum beat me to it!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

For the sake of answering the question: Kurn's Tower. However, they're probably extremely green for your group [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What's Nurga (off FM) like for casters? Anyone know? Might be a good spot.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

I'd say requesting non-casters in a dungeon is pretty much impossible to find, this is due in great part to the XP bonus you get for dungeons. The caster's are what make dungeons so difficult IMO.

Some places I can think of that the caster's aren't as bad would maybe be:
  • Paw
  • Highpass Keep
  • Kaesora - Spiders and Skelles dont cast really, Spider's however do Poison.
  • Permafrost (you may be too high for here)

These are all underpopulated dungeons which makes it easier even with casters because you can just clear the path and keep pulling to zone. You run into trouble GTFO. I'd say that Paw would be the best place for this strat.

Also, you could try investing in some resist gear. That could help quite a bit.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The only dungeon I can think of (outdoor dungeon, maybe not a dungeon?) that doesnt have casters that you can look forward to is CoM. You can probably go their in your low 40s with a small group and do the mobs around the entrance and stables. They are mostly undead too so you can utilize a lot of those SK spells you have.

Solo you would have to definitely get a few more levels under your belt from what I said to be able to do it effectively. If you want to solo I'd just go to OT and fear kite or something.
What he said. City of Mist is where you need to be till level 50.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyryllis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well unfortunately our casters are using better spell choices than they did in classic- this is an issue brought up in bug section already but Im not sure they can fix it.

dungeons were definitely easier when you didnt have wizards spamming nukes and shamans chain healing and doting
No, they can fix it. But this is custom classic everquest, and they choose not to fix it.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

what server did u play on where wizards prefered to melee than nuke or do things other than cast spells they should have access to? AS early as lvl 10 in classic, i knew the erudite dervish cutthroat would nuke me down if I engaged them and didnt burn them down quick.
Closed Thread