"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Thou speak'st aright; I am that merry wanderer of the night."
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by quellren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a sonic abortion.
Really, nothing more needs to be said.

Please, in the future, put some kinda warning on vids like this so I don't scare my wife. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard
I don't come into McDonalds and criticize your work.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Sarnak

Lol

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1GaKaGwch0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mithaniel Marr
Fishytoothy | LVL 70 Troll Shaman
Stechen Meister | LVL 70 Barbarian Rogue

In Your Face Space Coyote!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihealyou [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I enjoyed this song, and thought the lyrics were meaningful and thought provoking. I appreciated the allusion to The Cure's Friday I'm in love in the opening scene, and felt that it sets the tone for the rest of the song. This song is about a young girl looking forward to the weekend. She has spent the week absorbed in her studies, and wishes to relax with her friends. Through the video, we see that Rebecca Black's happiness is merely a facade.

When she wakes up, she is already confronted by the demands of modern society, and the pressures it puts on young women. She claims that she has to wake up "to be fresh". As early as 7 AM, she is seen as a hyper-sexualized object, as is forced to conform to society's expectations of her. Everyone in her house is rushing to get ready, ignoring the social interactions and familial bonds which are so vital to healthy relationships. Her robotic smile betrays a underlying sadness. She must put on a happy face for a society which frowns on showing one's true feelings.

When her friends pick Rebecca up, we see more of what is actually going on in her life. Instead of being happy to see Rebecca, her friends are more interested in where she will sit in the car. She is merely a decoration for the car, giving both the car and its owner the validity and approval needed to be accepted by their peers.

Rebecca claims that everyone is looking forward to the weekend, and that they wish to "party, party, party". As the viewer sees in the next scene, Rebecca's idea of a "party", is instead an escapist fantasy. She is in the same car as before, but this time it is just her and a few friends. She is accepted by her peers, and is enjoying the bonds created with them. Once Rebecca leaves this fantasy, we find her at a house party, walking around alone. Again, her robotic singing shows how she is merely going through the motions required to be popular. In Rebecca's fantasy car, she is genuinely happy, even going so far as to hug her friends. At the real party, her forced smile is ignored by all, as she is again just an object which gives validity to the party and its host.

In the song, Rebecca sings that "we, we, we so excited" about the weekend and partying. The word "we" is not repeated three times just for musical effect. It was a very deliberate choice of words. She does not say "I am so excted". She assumes that the group as a whole enjoys the partying lifestyle, because she does not. Through peer pressure she is forced to assimilate to the activities of the popular crowd, even though they do not bring her happiness. Like many people before her, Rebecca is seeking happiness through partying, when she only needs to create real social bonds to be happy. As the listener hears Rebecca sing about looking forward to the weekend, he is left wondering: is she trying to convince us, or herself?
Megalolz. Bravo sir.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Skeleton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94TZJO_PXhU

Dubstep makes everything funnier!
Closed Thread