Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget necro charming. It only works on undead and it is rarely ever useful, especially since Crypt of Decay will never be part of P99.
For leveling and farming: Kaesora, Lower Guk, Karnor's Castle, Howling Stones are all amazing places for a necro to go bananas with charm. Any zone with undead, you become a gimpy enchanter with the ability to heal, FD, and put out great damage on named mobs.

There's a few undead in some raid zones you can snatch up as well, but not so much in Velious.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

True, you got some zones with undeads in Kunark, but he is at beginning and he tries to get an idea about the class. Once he gets to Kunark, he won't care about charming anymore, because it's simply too much of a niche.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 AM
Aviak

Charming si the mist efficent mana wise to lvl, i charmed from lvl 30 to 55 just charming....
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True, you got some zones with undeads in Kunark, but he is at beginning and he tries to get an idea about the class. Once he gets to Kunark, he won't care about charming anymore, because it's simply too much of a niche.
The fun thing about necro is the best method to play the class changes as you progress and what zone your in. Charming in Kaesora, Lower Guk, City of Mist, then Howling Stones is probably the most efficient way to level from 40-60. After 45, if soloing, i'd say using a skele pet was more niche for me and a lot of other necros. Charmed pets are just too good.

Fear kiting becomes less and less of an option for good XP in your 50s. There's a few places, but it's slow and often risky with lots of roaming potential adds. If I'm somewhere without undead, I'm often root rotting over fear kiting. So I tend to stick to dungeons that allow me to charm.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all,

Just a few quick questions that I've been trying to figure out but couldn't quite find a consistent answer.

1. I notice my level 4 pet occasionally double attacks, I found a post from years ago by Haynar I think that this is working as intended but, I really don't recall this being a thing? It's obviously been a long ass time so I could be mistaken but does that sound right? Why do pets even get Double Attack if this was true?

2. How much damage do I have to do to get full XP from a kill? It seems like so long as I even touch the enemy I get full XP? I had heard somewhere it was over 50% of the damage.

3. When I get there, I've heard people saying that Charming is a great way to solo, does Necro charming work similar to Druid charming? Charm mob -> fight another mob -> when it's close to dead invis vs undead and kill both? Or is it just that you can charm an undead mob and wreck things with a pet way stronger than your ordinary pet?

4. I've heard that if you give a pet a torch it'll automatically dual wield and hit with both hands, is this true even with low level pets?

Thanks all!
1) Don't know, but our pets just get stronger and better. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2) I soloed my Necro on Live up to 103 with about 8k AAs. I never worried about out damaging my pet. On p1999 that hasn't changed. Between dots and tapping it is pretty easy to out damage your pet. If it worries you though, don't buff your pet with haste and don't give it weapons. That helps to slow down its dps. But, really, I don't even think about it. Do what a necro does... kill everything you see! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) I don't charm undead for pets. Typically, for charm to be efficient you wind up grabbing a green mob which likely will not be as damaging as your own pet. Also, your cast pet could last longer than the charmed pet going against a blue and above. Charm is resistable, meaning recasting charm; whereas a cast pet is more likely a single cast and therefore more mana efficient. I can think of other reasons why I don't charm a pet and go to work. I prefer to cast a pet and then use that spell slot for a dot, not charm.
4) I can't remember at what level necro pets get dual wield, but its pretty early. I love putting velious 1h weapons on my pet and watch it proc like crazy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Btw, Necros are like BBQ chefs. We're masters at slow cooking. Don't ask us to do "fast food." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Scaer; 04-27-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) I don't charm undead for pets. Typically, for charm to be efficient you wind up grabbing a green mob which likely will not be as damaging as your own pet. Also, your cast pet could last longer than the charmed pet going against a blue and above. Charm is resistable, meaning recasting charm; whereas a cast pet is more likely a single cast and therefore more mana efficient. I can think of other reasons why I don't charm a pet and go to work. I prefer to cast a pet and then use that spell slot for a dot, not charm.
Don't write off charm. Charmed pets are much better than summoned pets, they just require a little work. But charm will allow you to break a lot of camps that you otherwise couldn't, the pets are much beefier, and they open options for you that you wouldn't have with a normal pet. Also, duoing with a shaman, druid, or cleric, you can mow through some stuff with the right pet weapons and haste in zones like CoM, Howling Stones, KC.
Closed Thread