Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use the best stats and ratio weapon you have in your offhand. A slower weapon means less repost. The only time to care about a proc in your offhand is if it is a self buff. Also, holding aggro via dps (2h etc) requires you have a better haste item than who you are tanking for.
I strongly disagree. Offhand fires less than main hand but it still represents 33% of your total procs. Having something offhand with a capable proc will not only make you generate more threat with time but also 33% more likely to land that early proc to lock it down. As offhand doesn't get damage bonus and only results in approximately half the swings as mainland (DW check and DW + DA combo check) - its ratio generates at best only a small fraction of your melee threat generation. Ratio is more important than speed but the presence of a proc that generates modertate to high levels of threat is the most important component of your offhand. Stats should only be relevant when comparing weapons of the same ballpark threat and quality.

Routine threat generation succeeds or fails with weapon procs. Burning clickies is not viable the majority of the time. Planning on a caster to root relies on someone else doing something right. Players are unreliable. Well timed taunts will put you at top +1 (great right after a rash or slow) but won't amount to much when you're taunting past a lazy melee whose melee threat generation is superior to your own. In a perfect world those around you will play their characters well. But ... players are unreliable. We've all played this game enough to know there are plenty of rogues who don't evade and plenty of monks who don't flop drop when they should.

For badass raids where you're burning a mallet? Sure ... I guess stats and minimizing ripostes all the way. That's not a game most of us play though. It's also a cheesy/cheap way to play.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does it still register as "spell did not take hold" if a higher level person with FB procs on same mob before you?
I don't know honestly, but resisted spells or spells that don't take hold should generate the same threat as those that land fully.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know honestly, but resisted spells or spells that don't take hold should generate the same threat as those that land fully.
Resisted spells give agro, yes. But "did not take hold" giving agro is not a safe assumption unless tested and/or confirmed by a dev, I don't think it did on live (tho my memory's well short of 100% reliable).
Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger still pulls aggro a bunch with Earthcaller even on slowed mobs. While it could be the ratio, I suspect it is due to debuffs that don't take hold still generate aggro (i.e. the slow proc).

IIRC on live resists would generate 'a significant fraction' of hate that an unresisted spell would. Maybe 70%? Of course, this is not live, so anything could happen here.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It depends if it is a self buff or not. Cracked Claw of Zlandicar's proc will give you aggro if a shaman has already crippled the mob. Silver Whip of Rage will not give any aggro if you already have an enchanter rune.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It depends if it is a self buff or not. Cracked Claw of Zlandicar's proc will give you aggro if a shaman has already crippled the mob. Silver Whip of Rage will not give any aggro if you already have an enchanter rune.
True. Whip of Rage will re-write itself for full aggro though.

Closed Thread