Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Sarnak

Default Log Parsers

I'm assuming these programs are legal on P1999. Anybody have a nice compiled list of some of these programs lying around?

Also, since maps are disabled on P1999, I am considering writing a program that will parse /loc + sense heading from the log and, using the map files, generate where you are on the map and what direction you are facing. I'm curious if anybody would find this a useful tool and also the legality status of such a program (I'm under the impression log parsing is not illegal).

Thoughts?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

GamParse is the parse program I use for parsing. P99 files logs differently than live so it occasionally will parse right other times it will just miss fights completely.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Fire Giant

Gameparse is Legal on P99 to my knowledge, since all it does is read active log files.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
any 3rd party program is forbidden. sorry.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Fire Giant

My understanding is that log parsing itself is fine, but doing it to get some information you can't normally get from the game in real time (like, say, your location on a map) is forbidden.

Somebody will now make the argument that parsing the log to calculate your DPS is something you can't normally get from the game. Whatever.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Sarnak

So you're saying I can't make a program that parses my log for my /loc and sense heading commands (legally obtained from game) and does the work to translate that location/direction onto a map? It would only update when I inputted /loc, which limits the usefulness, but I theoretically could spam /loc as I run and I would get almost real time updates of where I was on the map.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Fire Giant

There is a difference between doing something yourself and having a program do it for you. The developers recently disabled the in-game map, which tells me that they don't want you using any software to show your location on a map. I don't think it would matter if it updates constantly (like ShowEQ) or only when prompted.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_savage1982 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you're saying I can't make a program that parses my log for my /loc and sense heading commands (legally obtained from game) and does the work to translate that location/direction onto a map?
I wrote a program to do pretty much that. About a year ago I asked in the "Petition / Exploit" forum about whether it violated the rules but I never heard back. It's pretty handy and can be calibrated to any map that's drawn to scale. If there's an official response that this sort of thing doesn't violate the server rules I'll clean it up and post it somewhere for others to use.

Here's what it looks like with a /loc from the EC tunnel:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wrote a program to do pretty much that. About a year ago I asked in the "Petition / Exploit" forum about whether it violated the rules but I never heard back. It's pretty handy and can be calibrated to any map that's drawn to scale. If there's an official response that this sort of thing doesn't violate the server rules I'll clean it up and post it somewhere for others to use.

Here's what it looks like with a /loc from the EC tunnel:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's exactly what I'm building.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

kind of cool... but I think the game play is a lot different when you don't know exactly where you are at.

Imma guess they gonna say its not legal because it's not original?

seems to be what most people say.
Closed Thread