Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Orc

Default Discussion on best way to level a cleric and additonal cleric questions.

I've noticed as a cleric I get better experience by soloing things. I know it sounds messed up but I get more xp at level 16 from trash mobs than I do from grouping ( so far ). I've read the guides to leveling a cleric and they say you can solo as well on a few of them.

I've been wondering what's your take on leveling up a cleric and how you like to do it.

I also have a question about the summoned hammers we clerics get. Do they proc against the undead?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Planar Protector

Summoned hammers are pretty useless. I wouldn't bother.

Soloing as a cleric you want to do against Undead 99% of the time.

16-39 you can do in Unrest. It gets a lot faster around 24-30. 33-34 is getting kind of slow and 34-39 is pretty quick.

39-50 people suggest Spectres... But I found them to be very slow and ended up just paying for a PL to get through those levels. As your main though you'll likely have to suck it up and solo through those, or group in CoM or some such.

Duo's are almost always better exp than full groups and probably are the best EXP for a cleric 40-60. Get a friend who can charm either a Druid, necro or enchanter, and duo some zones with high ZEMs charming. You healing them when they get hurt, stunning their pet on charm breaks, rooting adds, CHing pets that you decide to keep for awhile... Cleric + Charmer is fantastic exp.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Duo's are almost always better exp than full groups and probably are the best EXP for a cleric 40-60. Get a friend who can charm either a Druid, necro or enchanter, and duo some zones with high ZEMs charming. You healing them when they get hurt, stunning their pet on charm breaks, rooting adds, CHing pets that you decide to keep for awhile... Cleric + Charmer is fantastic exp.
To expand on this a bit based on my experience leveling clerics, both an untwinked one years ago and a twinked one in the last couple weeks: GOOD duos are nice... faster xp than a bigger group with more options for where you can go without exhausting the supply of mobs to fight while also being safer (and maybe faster too) than solo. I'd count a good partner for a cleric as any caster who is a decent player, or as any well-geared melee (except rogues and bards probably) who is a decent player.

But unfortunately, I've run into quite a few players out there who think that just because you have healing and they need healing, that you are obligated to group with them. Don't cave in to these people, no matter how insistent they are, unless they count as a "good" partner for you or you REALLY want some company, imo. They'll just drag you down in terms of XP earned and sanity retained.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 05-29-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleezar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed as a cleric I get better experience by soloing things. I know it sounds messed up but I get more xp at level 16 from trash mobs than I do from grouping ( so far ). I've read the guides to leveling a cleric and they say you can solo as well on a few of them.
The lvl of people in group matters. Try to group with people within 2-3lvl of yours max. You can always group with someone 1.5x your lvl. So as lvl 20 you could group with a lvl 30. But you would get very little xp out of it. Have a look at this link to find out how much xp you would get with your group composition :

http://rantsandflames.com/xpcalc/

<3
Old 05-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

I think about everyone that makes a Cleric sort of daydreams about making it a "Battle Cleric". And they can be pretty good killing mostly Un Dead mobs. That is their strength. But past like level 34ish IT is a real struggle to solo very quickly. But it works out to start duoing or full grouping because you get Complete Heal at level 39.

So you will have a few hard levels before you get CH. But there have been a few on here that have soloed to 60. It can be done. But in Velious there will be a BIG need for Clerics with the longer fights and harder hitting mobs. But I would not get in no big hurry to get to 60 because there is some nice low level zones even in Velious. I think level 28ish to 40ish will be the most fun zones to group in in Velious. The top guilds will have the top end zones tied up for months anyhow.

But a lot depends on your lifestyle and play style. A Cleric in a group is sort of a long term commitment. Its like you can't join the group and tell them 20 minutes later you are leaving. You have to sort of play for hours not minutes. A Wizard or a Mage can sort of say sorry I HAVE to leave right now and its not a big deal.

I find the longer I have played on here the more I do solo. But I have made enough plat to afford good gear to do so. So that helps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But a Cleric is a great class either way you go. But you will need better gear to solo than group that's for sure.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

34-39 is ridiculously easy in the knight tower of unrest. Takes 5ish hours to solo through.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Cleric soloing is among the slowest in the game, at about 7 hours per level root-nuking undead. If you outfit your cleric with really expensive gear (i.e. fungi, haste item, poison wind censer (this latter isn't very expensive but you can't pull off a melee cleric very effectively without a fungi)), you can speed it up especially at lower levels but it's still surprisingly effective at high levels (I'm in my mid-30s doing about 3-4 hours a level). Root-nuking, apart from being slow as fuck, is also boring as fuck (some people would also find cleric grouping boring and one-dimensional, though I think it's pretty fun). So I'd say, try to find groups, especially small groups as mentioned above, but if that fails or you don't have enough time that particular play session, go ahead and solo a bit. Swish has a nice guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Swish%27...ric_SOLO_guide
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

You're trying the wrong places if it takes 7 hours to do a level as a cleric soloing undead. Dald is exaggerating about the speed of XP killing hags in unrest, but they ARE very good xp. Maybe 2-3 hours per level (5-6 for 35).

Even if it does take a cleric 5 hours to get through a level solo though, I've been in plenty of full groups in my time on p99 that were earning xp much more slowly than that. And there is something to be said for the flexibility of soloing!
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

I'll check my clerics logs when I get home... But I definitely remember 36-39 being very quick at hags.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Aviak

Absolute fastest xp for a cleric is Zander. Barring it being your alt and having a ton of money yourself or a friend who will toss the money to you though duoing with an enchanter was the fastest xp I've seen outside of Chardok AE groups on my Cleric. Be wary of ever going below 40% mana though. I swear every time I did we had a rough charm break/pull and ended up dying lol.