Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Fire Giant

I've been running just Microsoft Security Essentials on my main machine. Is it worth the time to run scans with anti-spyware software as well?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Planar Protector

Another no brainer: DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Fire Giant

I have antivir + malwarebytes running, should i only run one?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Fire Giant

Only run one anti-virus program and one spy/malware scanner program on your computer at the same time. Several programs of the same type tend to conflict and might prevent eachother from functioning properly. Google for "good free computer protection packages" and similar phrases and you can probably find a place where someone has bundled the best free programs and made sure they work well together. If you simply install Avast, AVG, Norton and Kaspersky, you're most likely just getting them all tangled up.

Malwarebytes is good and tends to work with any actual anti-virus program. Norton is fine at catching stuff but it isn't very nice to your computer. AntiVir is alright, but the almost-always-true rule is that you're much better off paying for a product than going with the free ones.
Last edited by greatdane; 07-03-2011 at 06:24 AM..
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

If you're going to purchase an Anti-virus/Anti-Spyware program (which everyone really should do) then get Webroot Anti-virus with Ant-Spyware. I have been using this product for 5 years now, nothing gets thru it and it is light-weight and non-intrusive!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwulf58 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Microsoft Essentials
Malwarebytes
SUPERantispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search& Destroy

Yes, I use them all and keep them all up to date. Also I use Firefox 5.0 with the following Add-ons:

Ghostery 2.5.3
Better Privacy 1.51
Adblock Plus 1.3.9
Adblock Plus Pop-up Add-on 0.2.7

After installing the Firefox Add-on's above, my Anti Spyware programs have had nothing to find for 3 weeks now... not so much as a single tracking cookie.
The Men In Black are still coming for you. You can run, little rabbit.... heh heh heh.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Microsoft's AV is fine. Any free AV is fine, really. Just don't use IE, be careful on warez and pr0n sites, and don't fall for those stupid phishing scams.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Kobold

PM Detected: PDM.Keylogger kernel mode memory patch Action selected by user EQGAME.EXE

downloaded this client awhile ago never had any missing stuff yet..?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PM Detected: PDM.Keylogger kernel mode memory patch Action selected by user EQGAME.EXE

downloaded this client awhile ago never had any missing stuff yet..?
http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ms...dm%2Ekeylogger

Quote:
PDM Keylogger is a fake threat generated by the Data Protection rogue "anti-virus" program.
Quote:
Best Answer: No i don't think you should be worried as its Kaspersky being over protective and there are many quetions about this subject in their own forum.
Quote:
Anyway, I am not sure what PDM Keylogger is, but I do know that NO OTHER anti-virus software has detected this except Kaspersky 2010 (Kaspersky 2009 doesn't detect it either); so it is possible that it is a false report.

Nevertheless, I suggest you to use your Kaspersky to quarantine what it says to be the PDM keylogger (quarantine, NOT delete or remove). Then if you find that it is truly a false report, you can restore it.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Fire Giant

I use AVG 2011 for daily scans
(AVG just fooked up last month or two, when they released previous paid for services.. the program would hog the processor, the identity protection was makin so you could hardly surf)
but i just re-installed that a few days ago, after reading that those issues were resolved and so far its working fine.

I also use Malwarebytes for weekly scans+CCleaner
Closed Thread