Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Aviak

Default Weird thing happening

I have a thing that is happening when I play p1999. Often when I am playing there is a pause in the game, sometimes coinciding with a noise as if the disk drive is being used, then a few seconds later the game kicks in again. Its not when I'm just sitting there, but when I'm actively fighting something, or like last night when I leveled. It is enough to make some soloing with my necromancer pretty dicey.
Any advice as to fix this? I'm not running from a DVD rom or anything like that, and it doesnt happen when I am playing on my second laptop (a macbook air)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

Get an SSD.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Aviak

As in solid state drive? I play on a laptop
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Yup. Changes your life.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

An alternative if you don't want to buy a new HD would be to use something like RAMDisk.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Fire Giant

Whenever someone logs in or travels to the zone you're in, the game hiccups as it loads that information. Running EQ on a SSD seems to be the only way to mitigate this hiccup.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a thing that is happening when I play p1999. Often when I am playing there is a pause in the game, sometimes coinciding with a noise as if the disk drive is being used, then a few seconds later the game kicks in again. Its not when I'm just sitting there, but when I'm actively fighting something, or like last night when I leveled. It is enough to make some soloing with my necromancer pretty dicey.
Any advice as to fix this? I'm not running from a DVD rom or anything like that, and it doesnt happen when I am playing on my second laptop (a macbook air)
Do you have logging turned on? if so make sure your Antivirus software isn't trying to scan the logs. Also you may want to try renaming your log file and having EQ start a new one if it is getting large.

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yup. Changes your life.
Do you know if the game will run off a USB data stick? Would this fix the issue as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashintar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have logging turned on? if so make sure your Antivirus software isn't trying to scan the logs. Also you may want to try renaming your log file and having EQ start a new one if it is getting large.
I started with a fresh install and it still has the same issue. Man it was a bitch re-organising my UIs lol
Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Fire Giant

This was happening to me for like 2 weeks and just went away, been playn on same laptop for 7 years. The screen pauses, skips and puter makes a odd noise.

It fixed itself , I thought my puter was getting fried.
Drippin#7277