Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Aviak

Hey guys. I really appreciate all the help. I imagine I've been a bit annoying given my inability to troubleshoot basic things on this OS, so again, thanks. I'll keep trying different things and if I catch you in game I'll have some beers ready for you ��
Old 07-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Aviak

Wow! So I deleted wine, and fooled around with PlayOnLinux - no luck. Deleted POL, deleted my EQ Titanium copy, and got a new copy elsewhere. From there, I reinstalled wine, and ran my launch command from terminal without configuring wine, and the damn thing worked!!!!!

Only issue now is that I can't see models. I will sort that out after some more troubleshooting. Cheers!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Disable vertex shaders in adv. Options in EQ. Or something called close to it.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:58 AM
Aviak

It is in eqclient.ini under defaults, vertex shaders. Set the value to 0 for those.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Aviak

Huge thank you, I'm in!

I need to resize to fit my screen, but otherwise golden (although it usually crashes one when loading, but...meh).
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

I just wanted to mention that I have converted the incredible guide that started this post in to a (hopefully easier to read and use) wiki version:

http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

Over time I'll try to also add the knowledge from the 23 pages in this thread, as well as the other Linux threads, and maybe I'll even find time to add some screenshots too. But at the same time, if you see any improvements at all that you can add to the wiki page PLEASE, PLEASE do so!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 AM
Large Bat

On Lubuntu 16.10 with latest stable version of WINE and latest NVIDIA drivers(from Ubuntu repository) for a GTX970.

Works perfect out the box exactly like it should on Windows. Didn't have to do a thing to it =D
Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Skeleton

Hi there.

I have followed the steps on this site and others and would like to thank the people involved. However I still have a few minor problems.

First. I managed to install EQ by sinple copying a version from my windows computer over to my linux one. I then installed wine and used Zaelas middelmand running through my launcher script to get the server list properly populated. I then diabled vertex shaders to get the models to display and everything seems "decent". Here are the minor problems I now have:

1) graphics of the trees are really hazy, as if there is a television static in them. some other things get this effect as well. Cant seem to change that.

2) in camera mode 4 (my favorite one) the models are still invisible. but ONLY in this camera and only in some (read: most) angles of the camera.

3) if I leave the game in fullscreen mode and then try to login and play again it will crash. I have to go into the eqclient.ini and set the "FullScreenMode=FALSE" in order to get back in.

Any feedback on these issue would be appreciated.

wine 1.6.2
ubuntu
laptop hp Spectre 360

thank you very much to the people involved in this thread however. Has been of great help.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Large Bat

I've not been on this server since forever, but I found a WINE bug affecting me on TAKP.

If WINE has stopped working in the last few months you can try going to $HOME/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/<wine-version>/lib and delete the 4 files with "libz.so" in the name.

I'd stick with a non-system version of WINE, since when your system upgrades it'll just put the updated, not-working, libz.so files back.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

don't use PlayOnLinux. Just standard wine will work fine.

EQ/wine have come a long way shit should mostly just work these days, copy the install over from windows.

cd ~/bin/everquest && taskset -c 0 wine eqgame.exe patchme