Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

Default Creation Point Discussion

There have been a few threads on how to spend character creation points in the past, but one thing I have noticed is that they are usually class-based discussions.

One thing that I never hear mentioned anymore, which ties all the classes together, and which I used to hear a lot from the people I played on live with, is the idea that you should spend your creation points based on which (important) stat is hardest to max with end-game gear.

Usually this turns out to be Stamina.

For example, let's look at how rogues and clerics both have good reason to spend their creation points on stamina.

For the common build of a rogue, we all know that STR is the main stat; WIS is the main stat for clerics. That being said, STR for rogues and WIS for clerics is extremely easy to max in an endgame situation. Considering shaman buffs, rogues can easily attain 255 strength (200wis for clerics) without wearing every piece of gear, regardless of how they spent their creation points. Since this is the case, other stats become relatively more important. Since later in the game it becomes hard NOT to max STR or WIS, because rogues get gear with very high str and clerics get gear with heavy wis, this becomes a real issue.

Imagine that as a rogue you spend 25 points in STR, thinking "hey, str is rogue main stat, i want more str." So, velious comes out and now you have 255 +10 str unbuffed. Badass right? Wrong. A lot of your gear is adding useless stats to your build. You can't even get the usefulness of shaman buffs anymore (which may please shamans, but is detrimental to your ability).

Now if you had spent those points in stamina, you would have 240 str unbuffed. You would be able to gain some benefit from buffs, but it wouldn't break you if you didn't have them. You could also get max benefit from a druid or even enchanter str buff at this point. ..but the thing is, now it's like you have a +25 stamina item on a whole new armor slot.

We're not exactly at that point yet. I still try and get my 188 str unbuffed with my armor kit, which is fairly easy and as I have gotten better gear with higher str on a single piece, i have been more able to trade out str above 188 for hp/sta/ac items. Right now, many clerics are getting high wis on a single piece and thus able to trade out chintzy wis items for hp/sta/ac items as well.

People are likely not to max out every stat on this emu, so this system holds some serious water for the foreseeable future. For rogues and clerics, stamina is both extremely useful and hard to max out, so by spending points there, we gain a new level of survivability. It may not be stamina for you! Enchanters have INT and CHA to worry about before they can look at other stats, but definitely do some research into which important stat is hardest for your class to max out with high end items, & spend your creation points there. It may seem like you're gimped at first (even I have struggled with that choice earlier on when i didn't have as high str as some other rogues), but in the long run you'll thank me.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

good post... and true dat.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Kobold

Man speaks the truth.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

bump for noobs
Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

This is true to those that think this way (I surely do - why I staminaized). I live my life by way of thinking what will be best down the road (I'm a jew), and because of this always also think of (never consider) the opposite solution.

Should also keep in mind that top gear will be unavailable for about 2 years. Do you wanna be missing 20 points in your top stat for 2 years til you can finally max it out with velious gear? I do, but does everyone?

Obviously if you intend to join the top guilds you should highly consider the given point distribution. However, there are also those that plan to never get top end gear. They would do well to put points in their main stats.
Last edited by Ektar; 01-29-2010 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

While I agree about the difference between a long-term and short-term view, I take issue with your point regarding what people are able to do now. You seem to imply that it is impossible to max main stats now, which is wrong. Int casters are more than able to reach 200 int. In fact, I believe most of the top enchanters right now (with buffs) can hold int at 200 while simultaneously achieving 255 charisma.

I agree that the system I proposed above is more valuable further down the line, but I disagree that it is not valuable now.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I agree about the difference between a long-term and short-term view, I take issue with your point regarding what people are able to do now. You seem to imply that it is impossible to max main stats now, which is wrong. Int casters are more than able to reach 200 int. In fact, I believe most of the top enchanters right now (with buffs) can hold int at 200 while simultaneously achieving 255 charisma.

I agree that the system I proposed above is more valuable further down the line, but I disagree that it is not valuable now.
I can vouch for this.

I'm only level 46 and have zero raid gear (aside from crown of King Tormax) and very little in the way of "valuable" gear in general (no efreeti boots for example). With self buffs I can currently get to 207 int when doing tradeskills OR 210 charisma while charming in groups. My point being is that I am nowhere near a top end enchanter on this server at this point but already hit my INT softcap and can get max cap on charisma with a shammy buff and maybe 1 additional item. I have to swap gear to accomplish this but even if I split the 2 stats I can get both into the 170 range which is plenty for most situations if you ask me.

I left my int and charisma at the base minimum during character creation. (high elf)
Last edited by guineapig; 01-29-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

well I was only taking myself into account, human paladin with a a maximum starting stat of 105 hehe =p. So yeah as I was only taking myself into account I did not mean to say it is absolutely not valuable now... was just meant in a more... yeah you're right you basically clarified what I was tryin to say heh
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Put just about everything to Dex on an ogre SK. Somewhat drunken at the time of creation, but guess it wasn't such a bad idea, then. =p

Shoulda hit 5 points to Agi tho to avoid the ac dip, but guess any gear will manage to add that.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Sarnak

Great informative post man. kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
lal yellow finally with a worthwhile zing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinamur1999

Did this need to be brought to the forums? no probably not, but now I know that faline is super dramatastic and that yellow is STILL the fuckin man
Closed Thread