Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakolt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i hope you get ganked at level 1 1000 times playing Darkfall you prick
wow y u mad tho bro
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to deakolt

^ see earlier posts in thread. I am a vindictive motherfucker

Bulltrue
Deakolt
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are you playing NA or EU? This game looks fun maybe I'll try the 14 day trial but dont really want to play by myself
Bumping my own post lol
Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

This one reminds me of UO and is sandboxy and skill-based i think:
http://www.dawntide.net/

If it can garner enough interest it might survive. I hope it does. My worry is that:
1) It will tank because of bad choice(s) and interest will die down
2) It will lose its uniqueness and epicness in a desperate attempt to attract interest back
3) It will die an inevitable and slow death, like Vanguard did, or others

For once, I'd like to see a sandbox game set realistic goals for itself. For example, -expect- a small population. Second, set limits on things so you actually finish something. Third, be innovative with how you solve gameplay problems. By being small you can take chances, so don't be afraid to try!

To be honest, I think the future of sandbox games is open source or small scale commercial at most.

Most players out there prefer theme parks. Don't know why. That's just the way it's. Me, I love to get lost in the details. I like there to be lots of things to worry about. Things I have to know. Things I have to figure out. There're some things I don't like though. But bottom line, I'm an engineer at my core and I like games that make me figure out things. That's my source of fun. A lot of people aren't like that, for whatever reason.

I figured this out years ago. I was watching a video of SWG. A developer (a women) was talking about how they were making a new system to put in place of the old one. She was commenting about how complicated hte old game was and how "I shouldn't have to have a degree to play a game!" She was complaining that there were too many stats and so on. Blah blah, she went on like that for 5-15 minutes. That was the moment I realized that I'm an engineer and I'm attracted to things that this lady isn't. I am the way I am. And there're many men just like that lady. It's not a sexism issue. I know many men that're allergic to too many details.

For example... I like games that don't really have a story. I like games where -I- make the story myself. I like to build things, that includes stories. I hate to be told what to do and what to feel. I hate it when the game feels like a road and I can't turn off into the bushes and trees like I want to. I have to turn off at the designated turnoff points. Everything is pre-made. I feel like the game is playing me more than me playing it.

I don't like how detail is implemented sometimes. For example, I don't like how many games depend on websites - like allah - for quest and item information. I think information about quests and items should be in-game and more intuitive and, of course, not handed out like cookies. Too many developers think that handing it out like cookies is what people want, but it's for sure not what i want. Nothing turns me off quicker than a developer that thinks that way. Shows me that they prefer to think on the surface of things.

Are these things faults? They can be. I get so lost in details that things pass me by. So I understand that it's sometimes too much. But at the same time, this is the way I am. If I like women to be plump in the right places because I think it's sexy, then that's the way it's. Can I overdo it? Yep. Women can be hurt. I think thinner less sexy women look smarter, and I think they're more beautiful. Can I overdo it? Yep. Sexy women can be smart too. I'm biased. Anyway, I'm just saying that I am the way I am. I don't think it's easily changed.

Maybe those're not good examples. But I think I've typed too much already.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 08-26-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Closed Thread