Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirrtiXXX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried the Agnarr server... UGH what a mess... to call that classic is a crime...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NirrtiXXX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried the Agnarr server... UGH what a mess... to call that classic is a crime...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kunark didn't redefine some of the fundamental concepts of the game though. Luclin and beyond was an attempt to copy WoW's success which catered to those who just want to get max level and raid asap. Some people here are guilty of that (thank you devs for chardok ae nerf!) and forget that what brings us here is the "experience" of the grind - no pun intended.

-Mcoy
World of Warcraft didn't come out until 2004. Luclin and PoP weren't created to copy anything. They were created to fix all of the shitty aspects of Classic EQ as there were many legitimate gripes about needless time sinks and pointless gameplay obstructions and lacking content. Whether they succeeded or not is a different argument entirely.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Those lucid shards really fixed time sinks!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those lucid shards really fixed time sinks!
Perhaps not, but PoK books and Bazaar sure did.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Nah, they just facilitated old content in order to improve access to new time sinks, which is EQ expansions from kunark to beyond!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keykey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a ridiculous comment.
I believe he was referring to P99, which is correct.

Quote:
Population is overrated. I enjoy a smaller community.
Is it really an MMO without a sufficient player base?

Quote:
Do current projects have the longevity P99 does? Time will tell. P99 wasn't a guarantee, players just decided it was worth playing at the moment.
By "at the moment" do you mean 8 years?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe he was referring to P99, which is correct.
Oh right, I agree. It has been noted several times the AA code was ripped out and will never return. I guess I didn't read what he was quoting carefully enough.

Quote:
Is it really an MMO without a sufficient player base?
Eh, it's all relative. Sufficient to have fun? Sufficient to fight over camps? Sufficient to support a trading economy?

Quote:
By "at the moment" do you mean 8 years?
By "the moment" I meant at the time someone started playing on the server. Eight years ago, or yesterday. No guarantees at any point. Sure, 8 years show it's not likely to shut down tomorrow, but will it always be up and running? Will a point come when it doesn't pay for itself to maintain? Will the admin start having families and need to give up this hobby? Will it be tomorrow?

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
Last edited by Keykey; 08-11-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, they just facilitated old content in order to improve access to new time sinks, which is EQ expansions from kunark to beyond!
However, the new timesinks are actual gameplay content and not literally just waiting around for something to happen. You could make the case that all video games are timesinks if you don't draw any boundaries around the term.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keykey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh, it's all relative. Sufficient to have fun? Sufficient to fight over camps? Sufficient to support a trading economy?
Sufficient enough to make players want to log in, I guess. Does low pop deter people from logging in? I've noticed that many people who start here always ask how the population is, and if it's worth playing.

I'm curious. If pvp on red was turned off tomorrow, would half the blue population migrate to red?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sufficient enough to make players want to log in, I guess. Does low pop deter people from logging in? I've noticed that many people who start here always ask how the population is, and if it's worth playing.

I'm curious. If pvp on red was turned off tomorrow, would half the blue population migrate to red?
I agree many people look at population to determine if it's worth their while.

I'm not the type to let others make those decisions for me. It doesn't take much time and effort to see for myself. That is one of the reasons I say "fast and easy set up" for the server I play on. Not every server is for every person - See for yourself. It's great we are getting more choices.

If someone is looking for a purely social experience , low population would hamper that experience.

If you enjoy the EC tunnel experience, the PoP servers are not for you.

If you don't like boxers, the current PoP servers are not for you.

Mostly, I just like to play the game. You only need 5 other people with which to form a full group and less if the server allows boxing.

I'm perfectly happy with the population of the server I play on. This isn't a recruitment post. I love Everquest and I love P99. I am not trying to persuade those enjoying P99 to try something else. I'm just suggesting there are other options for those that are looking, and they are not horrible.

I do think Red would become more populated if PvP were turned off. I'm not sure what the usual red population is now, but lets just say 100. There are at least 100 assholes on blue. I've been gone a while, but I had plenty of encounters similar to the recent RnF post "Drumas is a horrible cleric (person)". Once you remove PvP griefing, remove global ooc, and use the ability to ignore... Blue.
Closed Thread