Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Fire Giant

Default All mage leveling group?

So we had a small guild group leveling last night in Crystal Caverns and started talking about potentially leveling some new characters and what they might be. We ended up deciding to try an all gnome mage group for fun (3 of us) and potentially will add a 4th or 5th to the group.

I have anecdotal evidence that two mages can do pretty well in a duo but I have never played a mage myself. How viable would an all mage group of 3-5 people be for leveling and dungeons? It doesn't have to be optimal and I'm sure there would be risk or downside to not having traditional roles but the challenge sounds fun (or maybe it will be faceroll easy I don't know).

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with such a group?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Kobold

Stacked mage groups are the best. Probably best to add an enchanter or a cleric. But chain stunning air pets just destroy and it's cheaper to recast pet than CH. Mage swarms can kill ANY mob that doesn't AE.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

4 mages, 1 cleric, 1 enchanter = win

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 07-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds fun. Should be faceroll for 1-2 mobs pulls. Might become ugly if you have many adds (1 per pet) and one manages to run away and bring more to the camp.
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
4 mages, 1 cleric, 1 enchanter = win
I'd rather play with a druid than a cleric for leveling up and maybe even at 60. Snare, regen, ports instead of better heals and rez? Root for CC is basically useless with that many mage pets proccing and that many mages nuking, but snare would be awesome to have.

I'd like to say 5 mages and a druid, but the chanter would be pretty clutch for helping break bigger rooms with a lot less effort (really need those pets to be focusing fire to rip through stuff and let the mages have mana for nukes to further speed things up instead of just chaining pets), plus clarity (especially for the druid), plus you'll have tash (and malo) and slow for tough NPCs...
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-20-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Could be amazing, but you guys need to be on point for CC, especially in spots with horrible pathing for pets. Someone's gonna have to pull and it had better not be the dumb pet that drops to the second floor of somewhere and brings a lot of uninvited guests.

(This one time in Kaesora, my enchanter friend's pet fell down a hole that led to the bottom of the zone...one of the only times an enchanter over 50 has said "Run!" to me.)

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Fire Giant

When I was leveling my cleric on red I teamed up with 4 mages who were also leveling in sol a one night. It was stupid how easily we ripped through everything. Even without me they would have destroyed that zone assuming they all had enough malachite.

Just use fire pets with their self DS. Don't worry about nuking, just chain down with multiple fire pets. Its effective solo, so I imagine it will be even easier with 3-4 pets. If you have someone who isn't super into mages it might not be a bad idea to add something else just for variation. A druid could spot heal, buff, harmony, provide transpo, and root (which you'll miss as a mage). Chanter could also help with mind candy and CC. A full mage group or mage heavy group with one support character can definitely work well though.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could be amazing, but you guys need to be on point for CC, especially in spots with horrible pathing for pets. Someone's gonna have to pull and it had better not be the dumb pet that drops to the second floor of somewhere and brings a lot of uninvited guests.

(This one time in Kaesora, my enchanter friend's pet fell down a hole that led to the bottom of the zone...one of the only times an enchanter over 50 has said "Run!" to me.)
LOL. We recently had a similar thing happen in Sol A. That dungeon seems to be very buggy for pets. We had a mage pet and shaman pet and they kept warping through walls. At one point our mage says..my pet is gone and the shaman said..mine, too. They were fighting *something*...*somewhere*..then died. Soon after that we had goblins from who knows where all over us and wiped.

After a fun CR fighting back to corpses with half our group naked we had the same thing happen but we had a druid in the group this time. I was on my chanter and as soon as I saw the massive train coming I threw down an AE mez and was like..PORT US OUT NOW! Druid got off port with us all below 50% health. Was an epic escape.

I can imagine that happening a lot more with 3+ mages so should be interesting lol. I could definitely see the benefit of adding a druid but not sure we will have one. I could switch to my druid I guess once we get to around 19.
Last edited by EQBallzz; 07-20-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Old 07-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

All Mage groups are awesome and should be done more often.

You might consider adding another class as a designated puller though.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Kobold

Mage with air pets dual wielding gnoll whips. Unbelievable efficiency. A healer class is nice to keep the pets topped off to avoid resummons and losing the whips. With that many stun procs the mobs don't get to attack much at all.
Closed Thread