Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slathar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is a perfect example of people reveling in their own ignorance. americans are proud to be stupid, obtuse, and bigoted. it means they're patriotic. harrison is a shining product of someone who hardly has a pot to piss in but yet hates people in the same social position as himself. the GOP have done an excellent job at brainwashing working-class people like harrison into hating others almost identical to himself.

they fail to understand social mobility isn't a viable option and when someone calls them on their bullshit they reply with, "get a job hippy." they would if they could, im sure.

also harrison is an your average american who is one paycheck from bankruptcy. he will live out their days in an alcoholic daze watching sporting events to forget about how miserable his daily existence is while the people he votes into office watch their salary triple in less than a decade. but those people are rich because they "worked harder" than everyone else, right?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am happy with where I am in life. And I am doing just fine. I think it is you who empower others to tell you oh woe is me, oh woe is me and you buy it hook line and sinker.
And no I am not one paycheck from bankruptcy I am quite comfortable in my upper middle class status (6 figure income kid) I have been in this bracket since the 80's and will stay here the rest of my life and am happy with that.
You need to crawl off the oh woe is me wagon and get on the I can do it wagon
I believe if more people had the can do attitude of previous generations(which I am a part of) we would not be having these problems.
And yes the decaying American education system is partially to blame since they pumped out so far 2 generations of people who can hardly do basic math
Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

ITT: ignorant motherfuckers.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

*** 50.4% were employed full-time and an additional 20.4% were employed part-time.
*** 13.1% of the sample are unemployed.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresprophet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of this is true. Not a sentence of it. The money spent on defense and welfare is largely a fixed amount (at the federal level anyway), federal government programs often outperform the private sector in terms of administrative overhead, and the "efficiency" of government is a non-issue when you consider that it is meant to fill roles that the private sector will not, cannot, and should not. It's not there to make money, it's there to perform certain essential functions regardless of efficiency.
Hi. Actual accountant here. This is horribly false, and will never change while governments use a method of accounting that discourages having leftover money (what we would deem profit in the real world).

NFP and government accounting is done in "funds". When you have leftover money at the end of the year in your "fund" it is moved to the government's "general fund" and used for other shortfalls, and it usually means your budget is reduced for the following year, which completely disincentivizes leaders of cost centers in government and NFP accounting from doing things efficiently. "Hey, thanks for saving us some money. We're not allowed to share profits with you because we're not allowed to have profits, but we will make sure you have to do things at least as cheaply next year! Good luck getting everything to work out this well again!"

Also, if people could quit calling things that were explicitly passed into the tax law to encourage certain behaviors "loopholes", that would be fantastic. You can't completely rewrite the tax code without a meltdown of our economy. The easiest piece to explain is the mortgage interest deduction. If you eliminate that, you eliminate the reason a lot of people who just pop over the rent/buy decision from the individual housing market. What that market shrinks, it affects virtually every facet of our economy.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we will make sure you have to do things at least as cheaply next year!
Thems is sum powerful words son.

That is itself one of the root problems of society, and a good example of where government should (imho), and in fact does in some cases (FDA, USDA) have a role in regulation (do things as cheaply as you can, but maintain this standard).
Old 10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanbanthony [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
empty quote
It sounds exactly like the type of demographic you'd see when you describe the entire US.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm
Old 10-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thems is sum powerful words son.

That is itself one of the root problems of society, and a good example of where government should (imho), and in fact does in some cases (FDA, USDA) have a role in regulation (do things as cheaply as you can, but maintain this standard).
Except, there are humans in these jobs with no incentive to do things cheaply in the first place. What are your incentives if you can't get fired if you mess up and you can't get wealthy by being good at your job? Your incentive becomes making your job easy in many cases. It's hard to keep saving money every year, so if you do manage to do it one year, departments typically find another way to waste their leftover money so they don't have to work hard to save the same money next year.

I'm sorry if this isn't how it's suppossed to work, but it's how things actually do work, and its the root of why government is inherently less efficient.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theldios [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am happy with where I am in life. And I am doing just fine. I think it is you who empower others to tell you oh woe is me, oh woe is me and you buy it hook line and sinker.
And no I am not one paycheck from bankruptcy I am quite comfortable in my upper middle class status (6 figure income kid) I have been in this bracket since the 80's and will stay here the rest of my life and am happy with that.
You need to crawl off the oh woe is me wagon and get on the I can do it wagon
I believe if more people had the can do attitude of previous generations(which I am a part of) we would not be having these problems.
And yes the decaying American education system is partially to blame since they pumped out so far 2 generations of people who can hardly do basic math
Fuck you
Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

At first I was like, "wow, Shiftin is smart."

Now I'm all like, "wow, Shiftin says a bunch of stuff."
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

OWS comes off statistically similar to a randomly selected sample of US population even though they aren't at all randomly selected. Pretty much the definition of a popular movement. Compare to early tea party stats: old white conservative bigots.

A direct refutation of the "dirty unemployed hippie" fallacy still being propagated by the corporate media and parroted by idiots around the country and on this board.
Closed Thread