Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Which system would you prefer on p99?
Core mechanics with Titanium Client 60 60.00%
Fully Classic with Trilogy Client 40 40.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Sarnak

Default Fully Classic vs Current

Ok, so this has probably been posted before somewhere, but let's put it up again to get a consensus. This always seems to get brought up and debated as a side point in other threads. I will try to express both sides as best I can, but I'm sure my bias will show through some:

Current / Hybrid EQ:
Core classic EQ is what matters most. How the mobs acted, the itemization of loot, and how character's skills were used. Having an updated UI and all the amenities which go along with it only help to enhance the core mechanics. Things like scroll out 3rd person, item linking, and multiple chat windows only help people with their interaction with each other. So many older games have player made mods which try to add back in more modern engines without changing core mechanics. Intentional or not, the mix of old core mechanics with the titanium UI is actually the perfect combination. It would be a shame to see this lost.

Fully Classic:
Truly classic is the best. All of the UI extras actually have a larger effect on how the game is played than most people realize. If there is ever possibility of getting the trilogy client working on p99, it should be strictly enforced.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Aviak

Personaly i think you should stick to the hybrid only because its already been that way for years now, it woulda been cool if it had been fully classic from the get-go but as it stands it would be silly to strip away the stuff that everyone is so used to now.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it would be silly to strip away the stuff that everyone is so used to now.
There are certain people here who feed off the tears from doing this... it's part of the metagame here like ForumQuesting.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

I voted core mechanics. But I would go further and un-nerf show/hide helm. I would allow luclin models by default. I would use the updated spell graphics and gems. And I would permit out of combat regen. I would also put in zerkers and beastlords. I would also put back in spell sets. And spell worn off messages. And guild UNDER the name tag. And I would allow things like root/snare stacking. Dot Stacking (2 of the same necro dot on one mob). Melody. Tradeskill combine interface for tradeskills. Unnerf compass sense heading. Convenience things. And game interface updates that reduce shit like RSI. Track.

Things that would stay out. Stuff like cultural armor. Focus effects. Cant think of anything right now thats from titanium that neeeds to go, later expansion items, keeping the database classic is good as far as gear and spell #'s goes.

I would also implement all the nerfs and fixes for items like donals bp, and implement my own nerfs for things like soulfires and ivandyrs to eliminate cheap play methods by the min/maxers. Lets face it all EQ raids are just a matter of numbers and coordination. There is no chess or deep strategy to them.
Last edited by runlvlzero; 08-31-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Orc

Morpheus has spoken *slams gavel*
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

To me personally EQ is classic mechanics/spawns/mobs, not UI shit. And I'd even be willing to bend on classic mechanics in certain areas where I feel they are too exploitable (e.g. Donal's BP, enchanter charm not costing enough mana, hybrid xp penalties, etc).

That said Lord Nilbog does not share this opinion. I'm happy to play here either way really.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Personally I'd rather not classic. Do pre nerf donal bps make sense? Does no iksar armor? Is leaving out great stuff like greenmist, the final dain shawl, ct 2.0, post change AoW which was incorrectly itemized for risk c reward intelligent or fun? Dunno I don't personally think so but this is the server who wants to the next go around have the inte sword of killing in for a day and other intentional nonsensical bugs just so it can be called "classic." If Trakanon dropped cloth caps because verant didn't itemize him yet for a month he'd drop cloth caps here for a month and that to me is utterly retarded. But it's not my project so I don't get to call the shots u no? I accept it for what it is and pray and hope that one day someone will release a progression server without boxing and MQ and shit like defiant gear so I can relive the spirit of eq without shit like hybrid penalties on groups for already shitty classes. My two cents.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there is ever possibility of getting the trilogy client working on p99, it should be strictly enforced.
There is none. Same reason why no clients prior to Titanium work (expect unique case of 6.2 which only a handful of people ever had), as well why not every client after Titanium works with Emu, and only then - very specific patch versions of specific clients.

The only effective way to get a specific client to work with Emu is to collect LIVE data from SOE server at exactly the time when SOE is using that client patch. Obviously since SOE keeps upgrading their clients and servers, if no data was collected for specific raw client or patch version - no Emulation of server connection can be build.

So unless someone figures a whole new way to reverse engineer Trilogy era server packets and OP codes - there will never be any client in use older than Titanium.

There have been attempts in the past to do it (see clasiceq project), but they got nothing playable/working to show after more than 7 years of work.

So, thank Titanium, as its the only widely available client that actually still has all of the old zones that were later rewamped, and no longer available in later clients.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

until consenting means the person can loot your shit, I don't wanna hear about it. It's nerfed classic. It's better than nothing.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
release a progression server without boxing and MQ and shit like defiant gear so I can relive the spirit of eq without shit like hybrid penalties on groups for already shitty classes. My two cents.
I agree with you. Hybrid penalties are just stupid as hell, "classic" or not.
Closed Thread