Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-15-2022, 03:24 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
The GPL is a “copyleft” software licence[1] published by the US-based Free Software Foundation.[2] This means that where a program or other work licensed under the GPL is incorporated (see section 4 below) in a second work, then that second work (if distributed to others) must also be licensed on the terms of the GPL (or a compatible license).

In general terms, if you use GPL-licensed code in your program that you wish to distribute to others, then you must also license your program under the GPL.

For example, if a developer writes and distributes Program A that incorporates a third party’s Library B which is licensed under the GPL, Program A must also be licensed under the GPL. It should be noted that Program A does not automatically become licensed under the GPL just because it incorporates Library B, but it would breach the terms of Library B’s licence if Program A was distributed under a non-GPL licence.
or TL;DR: As soon as you distribute it, it needs to be GPL3. I'm not trying to sound douchey, just observant - currently, it's a closed license, as if the P99 devs own EQ's IP or have a private license (rather than GPL3).

That's why EqEmu is open source - it's not just out of the goodness of their hearts. They are GPL3'd, too.
Last edited by xurai724; 10-15-2022 at 03:51 AM..
Old 10-15-2022, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

The server end stuff isn’t distributed though?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-15-2022, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurai724 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
or TL;DR: As soon as you distribute it, it needs to be GPL3. I'm not trying to sound douchey, just observant - currently, it's a closed license, as if the P99 devs own EQ's IP or have a private license (rather than GPL3).

That's why EqEmu is open source - it's not just out of the goodness of their hearts. They are GPL3'd, too.
This. I've been down this very same road before OP, and the issue is that P99 never distributes their fork of EQ Emu (they just use it to power their undistributed server).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:34 PM
Fire Giant

Trust me when I say, even with P99 open source, you won’t even be able to run the game without an exact copy of the database.

Before the server can even start, you will need every column in the DB to match, on its hundreds of tables.

The only thing it would be good for is to reverse engineer some features for your own version of the server, which would probably start at EQ Emu and be so drastically different you’d be better off to start from scratch.

Im not saying P99 shouldn’t go open source, but, just letting you know I highly doubt it would help your project.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Ive always wanted to start with a titanium server, and just customise it, how difficult is it to figure out? Last time I tried I was like, f**************k this.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurai724 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, this. As a developer, myself, I don't mess with GPL3 licenses unless my code is open source. If it was MIT license, P99 devs could do anything they want with it - close the source, etc.

GPL3, though? If you use it, you are legally obligated to share what you made with it open src; that's the point of the license; essentially "You use it, you share it". Since P99 is derived from a GPL3 license, P99 code should technically already have been open source from day 1.
They're legally obligated? Hit up a lawyer dawg you got this! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-15-2022, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Having server/client source but no db would sure make hacking creating my own empty server easier!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-15-2022, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server end stuff isn’t distributed though?
Correct. Someone bumped my old post? Funny. The devs have a strict policy of never responding to me.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:48 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksinga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trust me when I say, even with P99 open source, you won’t even be able to run the game without an exact copy of the database.

Before the server can even start, you will need every column in the DB to match, on its hundreds of tables.

The only thing it would be good for is to reverse engineer some features for your own version of the server, which would probably start at EQ Emu and be so drastically different you’d be better off to start from scratch.

Im not saying P99 shouldn’t go open source, but, just letting you know I highly doubt it would help your project.
Whether or not I am successful is moot -- and whether or not it's open source isn't necessarily "if" they should -- it's "when" since they are legally bound to share it.

(They were legally supposed to open src it from day 1 or they are making a silent assertion that they own the intellectual property of EverQuest -- or, at least, a private license that's !GPL3, which isn't the case. It's essentially a slap in the face to Daybreak's legal dept).

Quote:
This. I've been down this very same road before OP, and the issue is that P99 never distributes their fork of EQ Emu (they just use it to power their undistributed server).
Distributions include releases - not just source. If this was the case, we could commercialize anything GPL3 and simply never release the src code.

I came up with a little toon to assist: ♫ If you bend the knee to GPL3, distribution or open source tree, you must share the code to prevent legal load.

Quote:
They're legally obligated? Hit up a lawyer dawg you got this!
Heck, not obligated to any of us -- just Daybreak. However, if they are aware of the breach and ignore it, it sorta casts Malaise on the devs. Since Daybreak has been on a frenzy loading up progression servers (including premium ones), a simple mgmt change could get P99 shutdown (and they've been having a ton of internal changes). Opening up the src would keep them safe, preventing a license breach.
Last edited by xurai724; 10-16-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Old 10-16-2022, 11:13 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
preventing a license breach.
Resolving* a breach, rather (they're already in breach).