Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 10-31-2022, 02:22 PM
Banned

I was lookin at my old p99 client logins today
Old 10-31-2022, 07:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya that would be awesome.

I love all the custom map ideas. Less so the wow rule set but I like em all
lol I don't like wow rule sets either but I do like having a populated EQ PvP server

I'm actually going to steal that Faydwer only idea.

Faydwer zones only, Humans/Gnomes/Dwarves vs Elves teams. Classic rules. No level range. Full item loot. Fast exp. Back to level 1 if you die but keep skill level/spells. Instanced duels/arenas in other zones. Probably some customization of raid mobs. Add Mayong to the castle, buff Phinny and expand loot table, maybe some kind of boss in each player city.

Humans are added to give that team sk/bard/ranger/druid and dark elves are on the elves team either with custom faction letting them use elf cities or they use the DE camp in lfay with a few essential NPCs added to the camp trainer, vendor, and bank. This gives elf team necro/sk and teams should be balanced with no shaman allowed. Either that or all the races/classes are in and just spawn into Faydwer cities.
Last edited by azxten; 10-31-2022 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-31-2022, 08:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Innoruuk, God of Hate, created the dark elves by kidnapping the king and queen of the elves, who were created by Tunare, and twisting them to his own image. The result was a cruel subterranean dark-skinned race. The dark elves are the means through which Innoruuk plots to destroy the races of Tunare, Prexus, and Brell Serilis who made a pact to populate Norrath with the races they created. Innoruuk especially despises the elves and dwarves.

It is said that in the past, Innoruuk had a group of chosen Teir’Dal followers he employed to spread hate across the face of Norrath. These chosen were known as The Crimson Teir. Only the highest and most decorated followers of Innoruuk were chose to hold these positions. To each he entrusted a piece of armor that they were bound to, in life and in unlife. These relics allowed them to channel some of Innoruuk’s power, and with their aid they sowed suffering and hate across the world. Though this pleased the Prince of Hate, he had ulterior motives, for he was already planning the coming of his Child.
Alright we've got some solid roleplay PvP potential here involving the EQ lore and a prequel server.

The humans have just discovered Faydwer and have an uneasy alliance with the Dwarves and Gnomes. The Elves think the humans are trash. Inno has just introduced The Crimson Teir into Faydwer in the mines of Steamfont. Possibly they are allied with the other elves because Inno has promised if the Dwarves can be eliminated from Faydwer he will return their King and Queen.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What I want out of a server is something I can play on while having a life. Progression based PvP requires dedication and time a lot of people don't have. Enter dueling, scaled damage, and fast exp. If you can send someone back to level 1 and full loot them that should appeal even if it only takes them 1-2 days to get back to 50+ instead of weeks. On the flip side if you get sent back to level 1 it sucks but you know you're not out so much effort that you just quit playing. Same with if you don't want to play for awhile, take that 3 month break, you can come back and be relevant in PvP again in 1-2 days not outgeared and hopelessly behind likely forever until the server becomes stale and dead and you finally catch up.
If i may be honest here, thats why red failed. Why was rallos fun? Rallos was fun cuz we played it like counterstrike. Bind behind a tree on the wall near crushbone and just look for guild tags for hours on end. People want to pvp, most of em anyway. Constant pvp with a cost, but not a big cost (medding and corpse run). 1-2 days to get back where you were is quite a bit.

This setup sounds very similar to early red 1.0 where everyone is trying to race to the top, dodging any pvp on the way up as the consequence to pvping is just too high. Practically nobody is going to risk their level 40 to try to white knight for some rando. Everything becomes too calculated, weighted.

Where in rallos it was just, oh these flower fucks are targeting the noobs again, put on the william wallace hat and charge in. To me a fun server is a server conducive to very regular pvp.

The bad thing also with early 1.0 and the hypothetical setup you are talking about is it is mostly a veteran affair. I played 1.5 years on live and id say maybe 3 solid years here? Im still bad at the game. Which was fine on rallos because i can just try, try until i get better. On early 1.0 you cant try, try. The vets have played 10 emu boxes already and they will kill you 80% of the times solo, even more so because they are well organised and you will get train stomped most of the times anyway. You will eat xp death and you will never, ever catch up with your skill level because you cant get enough practice to do so.

A similar dynamic would be in place in a permadeath server that takes 1-2 days to get to 60. Its not a place casuals or even semi-vets can enjoy. You have to know the ins and out of every class to even start to think about competing with people who are playing this one way or another for the last 10-15 years.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 11-01-2022 at 09:02 AM..
Old 11-01-2022, 09:33 AM
Banned

To finish my novel, the main problem to me with early 1.0 and that kind of setup is its not casual/new friendly and doesnt lead to regular pvp. It limits the pop to vets and its already hard to get a pop going for a server. The more casual-friendly things you can think of, the better IMO. It doesnt necessarily mean big changes, little tweaks are enough.

To me thats part of what was so vexing with early 1.0. Oh, were a classic server! Nothing but classic! But well add yellow text though that helps griefers track casuals through world pvp log. Like the tweaks they made were conducive to thinning the population instead of making it grow. I dont think it was intentional but it was certainly not well thought out nor did they react quickly when they got told on the forums that this would predictably lead to a population decline.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Classic. Everyone starts neutral. At level 10 you receive a book. Any priest of discord you can hand in and then will ask you if you want to join bad or good. If you never hand book you stay neutral.

All 3 classes can attack each other, but not talk or buff each other. Make 3 Ooc channels that are only available to them 3 teams. This way all teams can have bards and druids and so on
Old 11-01-2022, 10:15 AM
Banned

Dwarf shamans plz.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:59 PM
Fire Giant

Good luck!

My only advice is the code relating to PvP is very limited on stock EQ Emu. If you don’t have a C++ background you may have a difficult time.

Here is some work that Xackery (Shin Noir,) and Gangsta did that could help you:

https://github.com/RoT-PvP/Server
Old 11-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksinga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good luck!

My only advice is the code relating to PvP is very limited on stock EQ Emu. If you don’t have a C++ background you may have a difficult time.

Here is some work that Xackery (Shin Noir,) and Gangsta did that could help you:

https://github.com/RoT-PvP/Server
Thanks.

This is still happening I had to spend my free time this week trading the stock market.

Humans/Dwarves/Gnomes v Elves (including Dark Elf) Counter Strike style EQ PvP probably just two teams. Maybe Dwarf and Half Elf Shaman or something.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:45 PM
Planar Protector

Two teams yes not three

Make a good zone connection map before you release the server have a cool nerd stylize it but make it in paint to start.

Make sure critical zones are decently spaced from home bases as they are resources.

Consider resources like vendors, and where they’re placed. Make sure one city isn’t custom
With everything easy to find and the other city shitty and impossible to find stuff just due to chance.

I like it a lot. Heck yeah

Please have a beta before launch so I can take my sweet time getting stuff set up.
Lost but not forgotten.