Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

That's earlyish Beethoven too - for the most part it just got better. A lot of it is difficult for the casual listener to get their brain around, though. In my one year as a music major I wrote a research paper on Beethoven's last piano sonata, the Op. 111. I thought I knew a lot going into it, but fuck - that kind of genius is basically all but unparalleled these days. 90% of my listening as a teenager was classical piano of some sort or another. I taught myself to play starting at age 11 (with Beethoven actually! 3rd movement of his fifth piano concerto - a bit much for a noob, but you gotta play what you love) and never stopped. I got into it really hard for a few years in my mid-20s, but I'm more an electric guitar man these days.

Beethoven is the man, but Chopin is raw unbridled emotion. One of my fortes with music is the ability to absorb and imitate, so having listened to Arthur Rubinstein I can play Chopin Nocturnes with the heart of a holocaust Jew.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Banned

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 72
User Name Posts
quido 24
Heebo 6
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's earlyish Beethoven too - for the most part it just got better. A lot of it is difficult for the casual listener to get their brain around, though. In my one year as a music major I wrote a research paper on Beethoven's last piano sonata, the Op. 111. I thought I knew a lot going into it, but fuck - that kind of genius is basically all but unparalleled these days. 90% of my listening as a teenager was classical piano of some sort or another. I taught myself to play starting at age 11 (with Beethoven actually! 3rd movement of his fifth piano concerto - a bit much for a noob, but you gotta play what you love) and never stopped. I got into it really hard for a few years in my mid-20s, but I'm more an electric guitar man these days.

Beethoven is the man, but Chopin is raw unbridled emotion. One of my fortes with music is the ability to absorb and imitate, so having listened to Arthur Rubinstein I can play Chopin Nocturnes with the heart of a holocaust Jew.
you drop music major?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I quit because I realized it was something I could do without making a (tough) career out of it. I was a clarinet major but basically gave up when I could only bring myself to practice the piano.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Dretti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 72
User Name Posts
quido 24
Heebo 6
A single post of mine has more substance than all yours put together

p.s. you're a dumbfuck - get a brain moran
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I quit because I realized it was something I could do without making a (tough) career out of it. I was a clarinet major but basically gave up when I could only bring myself to practice the piano.
the arts are fucked academia wise now, sadly, and likely be that way forever. i'm a lit major with 9hrs left. already accepted that i'll be delivering pizzas until i'm 35.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

some of my fondest memories are of getting severely inebriated with friends and belting out song choruses

DONT STOP BELIEVIN HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEEEELIN
something something IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

I got duped into being a music major basically. I switched schools after my freshman year (for a girl lol) and after a year off from the clarinet I decided to go try out for my new school's concert band just for fun and to meet some people. I got top spot in the group and I guess the clarinet prof heard about me blowing the rest of the players out of the water and remembered me as a local player from high school and got me into the better band, the wind ensemble. At the time I was a political science and international relations double major with hopes of one day being a lawyer. After I was already in the wind ensemble, the director (a notorious prick) told me I couldn't remain in the group unless I was taking private lessons with the clarinet prof. At that point they were basically like "well you're almost a music major, you may as well do it, there's some money in it for you" despite telling them I really didn't want to be a major. They went on and on about how a music degree is considered a good choice for going to law school due to deductive reasoning and all that jazz. I gave into the pressure, switched up, and within a year I'd had enough =P
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
some of my fondest memories are of getting severely inebriated with friends and belting out song choruses

DONT STOP BELIEVIN HOLD ON TO THAT FEEEEEELIN
something something IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
A single post of mine has more substance than all yours put together

p.s. you're a dumbfuck - get a brain moran
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread