Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:22 AM
Planar Protector

Danth, I think this might be a skill issue.

I recently resumed playing my troll SK (my original toon I abandoned at level 30). Assume very low levels of skill/knowledge!

Pulling the raider/warrior rooms in hhk I had a few instances where I struggled juggling several potential bashes and casts when attempting FD. That said, while I had difficulties and even a few broken FDs, I don't think I ever actually DIED due to a mistimed frontal stun. Hell, I was even pulling CoM arena at 35 and never died due to stun. Still early days though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Actually, somewhat relatedly to thread, I did once get trapped in a corner due to my large troll gut, which meant I died to a bunch of bashes to the rear by goo house. If I had been a smaller race, I certainly would have been fine.
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-27-2017 at 01:26 AM..
Old 05-27-2017, 01:41 AM
Planar Protector

iksar or troll if you want "the best race(s). Regen op.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Why is frontal stun immunity even considered as a SK? They have like 2 spells and none of them are -that- critical to get not get interrupted. And actually if you're getting interrupted, that means you have agro. Which makes casting spells for agro a bit redundant and even less critical to be cast right then and there.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

From a healers perspective I'll just reiterate that the difference in required healing between an iksar/troll tanking (be it monk/war/sk) and any other race tanking is VERY noticeable. This isn't to say other races don't work - far from it. My shaman's partner in crime is a 60 human monk and he gets by just fine. I even chose to make my own monk human.

I can't think of a time where I said "gee I wish this tank were an ogre". I can think of lots of times I would have had a much easier time had my tank that boost to regen. From 51-55 the 4 difference means 2400 less to heal an hour (~1k less mana). At 56 it's 7 and 60 it's 8 (4200 and 4800). If there's any sitting ticks it's a 7/10/11 a tick difference.

While flopped (big deal for monk/sk) it's a 5/8/9 difference.

Ogre is not the best. They are never a bad choice (far from it) but this community's love affair with FSI is a bit ludicrous.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is frontal stun immunity even considered as a SK?
As far as I can tell the argument literally seems to be that FSI can stop FD (or fear, or one last lifetap I guess?) from being interrupted by one last bash when you are already so close to death that you can't survive another few seconds to try again.

Which I guess is a real thing, but seems pretty small compared to a benefit that is working literally 100% of the time that you're not at full hp, to me.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

Which happens practically never.

I've known Danth a long time - and he's been kicking a sk without FSI for a long time. If it's never been an issue for him it can't be a common occurrence. They also say it's a BIG deal for shamans but in 60 levels it (stun from the front) was never a deal once for me.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-29-2017, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw an Ogre Shaman do the impossible.
Thomas is right, ogre is always better when you can choose them as your character race, no matter the class.

FSI means you have a vastly better chance of getting your spells off and doing uninterrupted damage.

Being ogre means better starting stats, better survivabilty, and supreme tanking power granted through hidden stats that only ogres get.

Regen is useless when you are dead.

Go ogre, you will have no regrets.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...better starting stats, better survivabilty, and supreme tanking power granted through hidden stats that only ogres get.

There are no 'hidden stats'. This forum is not the place for lies and misdirection. Take that to RnF.

Danth
Old 05-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Fire Giant

If I still choose human, iksar or DE.. what would u put them starting points in? all in STA och perhaps STR/STA?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are no 'hidden stats'. This forum is not the place for lies and misdirection. Take that to RnF.

Danth
How do you know that?

I have seen others say the same and you didn't chime in on their post they needed to go to RnF.

You know no better than me and from anecdotal evidence (same as yours opposing my viewpoint btw) ogre really performs above and beyond other races.

Try it out yourself, Danth.
Last edited by Lhancelot; 05-29-2017 at 08:24 AM..
Closed Thread