Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Default A Word of Warning to the New (and Naive)

I am a relatively unknown player, and have not been playing here very long. I have a friend who played on this server a great deal and acquired a healthy chunk of gear and cash. He decided to quit playing due to job circumstances in his life. He turned his account over to me and told me I could do what I wanted to with it, including selling his stuff, twinking my own characters, whatever.

I then decided that the classes I had been playing thus far weren't for me, so I took my assets I had acquired and purchased an account for 45k + Most of a Tier'Dal set. The account was being sold by a person on these forums named "Chtulu". I now know the error in my ways. The account had already been flagged for RMT prior to my purchase of the account, and needless to say within one week of buying the account, it was banned.

Upon research I found that Chtulu was not a very liked person on these forums, and had I known the depth of how far his bad reputation went I wouldn't have purchased the account. Now I am having to start over entirely, and I am strongly considering quitting because I just don't think I have the will to do everything over again.

So morals of the story here are these:

1) Don't buy accounts until you have thoroughly explored the seller's reputation.
2) Understand that because of the recent RMT banwave, there will be many people trying to dump off accounts for whatever quick buck they can acquire, leaving the buyer completely screwed.

This is not supposed to be a pity party. I know what I did wrong in this mess, and I know now what to do and what not to do. I just made this post so that maybe someone else out there will avoid my fate. Take care, everyone.
Last edited by Systolic; 05-29-2013 at 03:44 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Orc

What is it that you will have to do "all over again" if you were handed over a twinked account with basically everything you would ever need?
PortStar - Human Druid P99
Sinfuly - Dark Elf Rogue (MIA 2010) P99
~~
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletoria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is it that you will have to do "all over again" if you were handed over a twinked account with basically everything you would ever need?
I used everything that that account had to twink out the characters on the one I purchased.

I have a little bit off pp left, but thats about it. A vast majority of the gear that I purchased and that I transferred was lost when the account I purchased was banned.

And also, yes I could play on the character that I was given, but I don't really want to play a Necro. I played one on live and didn't enjoy it very much. I did a lot of buying and selling for a while, accumulating some gear on classes that I thought I wanted to play, and then didn't actually end up playing before I bought the account Chtulu was selling.
Last edited by Systolic; 05-29-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Well that stinks! But why you didn't just use that money to twink out a char even more instead of buying an account?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well that stinks! But why you didn't just use that money to twink out a char even more instead of buying an account?
Because the account had a 45 Monk, a 43 Cleric, a 35 Enchanter, and a 30 something mage, so I figured it would give me the chance to play several classes I was interested in without having to level everything up individually.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Moral of the story: Don't purchase accounts. The staff does not condone character trading, you can never be absolutely sure of the status of the account. You are better off making the character you want on your own account and purchasing a PL, plus its probably cheaper.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

AND you'll know your class better.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AND you'll know your class better.
I played Live extensively for a very long time. I know most classes well enough to play effectively.

I mean, point taken and all but my entire reasoning behind buying the account was that I knew which classes I was interested in playing, and I was already familiar with them so I didn't want to start from scratch again.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Fire Giant

Account selling and buying supports RMT on this server. How many threads like this have we seen now since the ban wave started?

And you don't want to be one of those awful people hanging out in KC who can barely play their freshly bought _____.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

this is already stickied in the EC forum
Closed Thread