Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Sarnak

I'm a fairly new player, my main is only level 22 due to my own time restraints, but I have no problem farming bone chips...silks...etc and hoofing my scaley ass over to ec from Kunark to sell because that's how I remember the low levels in EQ being back when I started. Honestly the high prices don't bother me because it's the norm. I came from a server where RMT was plain horrible, and yeah inflation happened but that's sort of parallel to the real eq experience. If I wanted the easy route, I'd go back to wow or let's face it...even EQ live [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixardion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Despite some valid points, you can't argue that this would not be good for the server overall.

As someone posted earlier, try to remember that everything is relative in price. The only thing that will not change is the base wage (item vendoring).

The fact is, something like this is inevitable, and I for one would rather not see the community split between multiple servers.
You clearly haven't thought this through beyond your initial 'eureka' moment. It is not a good idea, it is not inevitable and you sorely need to develop the ability to see beyond your own thought bubble and objectively assess your proposal.

It has already been illustrated in this thread that there's an immediate workaround - gems. So, any advanced warning of such a purge would result in a massive stockpiling of vendor-friendly gems, reagents, tradeskill components and the like. Those that know the trade-in values well enough to pick the best buy/sell ratio would have an advantage, and those that either couldn't prepare for the purge or were unaware it was happening would be at a severe economic disadvantage through no fault of their own.

So, the only way to implement this is to make it random. This would only work the first time, since after the first purge I can guarantee most people would get into the habit of converting saved coins into stackable gems and holding them on as many alts as necessary; preparations for the next purge. Again, a very unfair advantage/disadvantage situation is artificially introduced into the economy.

Now, lets assess that first purge. You seem to be under the impression that it would effect everyone equally - this is absolutely not the case. Those with existing stockpiles of gems and tradeskill components instantly have massive leverage over the economy as they become the initial currency injection points and can arbitrarily determine item value based on their whims. This is incredibly destabilizing, and is a far, far worse situation than our current one.

Items that currently are low value and high supply would instantly become worthless except for their vendor value. A person handing out tranquil canes for free would likely rethink that and get the ~150pp value from a vendor instead, which directly negates the point that this kind of purge would be beneficial to the "poor" on this server. It won't, and thus you have another group that is disproportionately affected by this purge.

Finally, those with low platinum reserves but have high-value items would (a) hardly be affected by this, and (b) would directly control the economy in an even more powerful capacity than they do now. Want a fungi from me? Fine, it's 100k still. Who says I need to sell it to you for 20k just because now people have to farm plat 24/7 to kickstart the economy again? Oh, you don't have 100k? Well, go farm Seafuries for the next two months because all of the mid-level gear you would have sold to make up the difference is now completely worthless.

I could go on, but I think I've said enough. It's a horrifically poor idea that's completely unfounded, based on shill economics and I think your best bet is to concede and bow out at this point. It. Won't. Happen.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Have my babies, spitty!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have my babies, spitty!
According to Spitty it would probably be Insurmountable Inconceivable to conceive on your part. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm brand new to P99 and it seems like alot of stuff is very expensive, even for just low gear. My options are either get a lucky drop or farm bone chips for quite a while to be able to afford just 1 item that's sold at EC. lol
welcome to classic EQ, exactly how it was when i started. I remember being lvl 40s in some bronze still. THe facts are people are so much better geared here for their level than on live. I doubt there is 1 player who has leveled on p99 from 1-60 that has not be given at least a few items by random players. Decent items at that. Now, when i was on live it was not like that at all. For almost everything i had on live i farmed tons of small times or got lucky on a drop until i started raiding and using DKP.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

I wonder what currency people would use to buy pixels if all the platinum were to disappear over night...
Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder what currency people would use to buy pixels if all the platinum were to disappear over night...
MEAT
Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portasaurus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
MEAT
A meat based economy makes a lot of sense. Inflation could be controlled through metabolism.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
welcome to classic EQ, exactly how it was when i started. I remember being lvl 40s in some bronze still. THe facts are people are so much better geared here for their level than on live. I doubt there is 1 player who has leveled on p99 from 1-60 that has not be given at least a few items by random players. Decent items at that. Now, when i was on live it was not like that at all. For almost everything i had on live i farmed tons of small times or got lucky on a drop until i started raiding and using DKP.
3 years kunark brah
Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 AM
Large Rat

Coming from someone who just started on the server a couple days ago...

The only problem I've experienced is that some groups of twinks are far-less-than-willing to take untwinked pepople, specifically melees, into the group if they're trying to level quickly, unless they're getting PL'd by someone.

Not the end of the world. Just sucks that I've found myself having to run a few zones away to a different camp for my level because of it. Saved up enough for a Green Jade Broadsword now, so no one's really going to complain anymore.

The fact that I saved up enough money to buy a Green Jade Broadsword by level 15 kind of completely kills this entire argument though. I wouldn't have had a weapon this good by level 50 starting day 1.

The only "insurmountably" expensive gear is BiS droppables, or I suppose uber twinkie gear like fungi, which is entirely valid in my opinion, because once you have them, you never actually have to buy anything in that slot again.

Long story short, things are fine, just play the game and be happy you can get basic Kunark gear as cheap as you can.