Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Fire Giant

There are very creative people throughout history that have done amazing things while drugged up so that part doesn't bother me
Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loved vanguard's design, just had no playerbase.

EQ2 was one of my favorite mmo's until they got 3 or 4 expansions deep.

Pretty pumped for this tbh.
They built a huge world and then ran out of money to fill it, so 80% of it was barren art assets. The actual content they did get in and the classes they made were awesome.

The technical issues were what killed the game (high end computers couldnt run it smoothly in beta, chunking, etc) - no one who played the beta thought buying it at release would be a good idea - thus no playerbase.

Quote:
There are very creative people throughout history that have done amazing things while drugged up so that part doesn't bother me
Has nothing to do with being creative - you can't run a company and manage your team if your high on cocaine or whatever it was they found out he was doing. People said he would literally come in some days and never leave his office.

Here's the start of a bigger rant but...

The bigger issue was the rampant nepotism going on at Vanguard - both the hiring of bad managers from the old Verant days to literal nepotism of hiring your uncle/brother/cousin to do something important when he has no business doing it. The whole MMO industry does it and it's a big reason why the same shitty games keep getting released to failure - if you fail as a producer/directory of one big MMO you can just get hired a year later to do the same job at another company (see Matt Firor now making ESO after failing with Warhammer and semi-failing with DAOC expansions).

If you suck at your job you shouldn't get another job doing the same thing after failing multiple times, but that's not how the game development industry operates.

You know who has done a good job after his predecessor failed and he finally got a chance to be the lead decision maker of an MMO? That guy that remade Final Fantasy 14 from a shitshow to a pretty decent game in less than 3 years. Other companies need to give promising junior guys more chances instead of re-hiring the same failures.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Last edited by Man0warr; 01-15-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

I don't care that he flopped on vanguard. We'll have no games if we got rid of the people who flopped on a game. At least he had one success that should surely command the loyalty of everyone here.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you guys insane? Did you play Vanguard? Brad flamed out in a drug-fueled haze last time he tried to do this.
From a design perspective, Vanguard was the best MMO I ever played.

It was plagued by technical problems and business drama. Get rid of that shit and we would have had a real EQ 2. Hoping Pantheon can be it.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was plagued by technical problems and business drama. Get rid of that shit and we would have had a real EQ 2.
I was one of the many 100s of people raging on the forums about what happened at the time... it really was better than EQ2 ever could have been.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

I agree that Vanguard at a design and concept level was amazing and definitely the spiritual successor to classic Everquest 1. I think Brad has the best idea of what I want to play in an MMO and I will probably always give him another chance. I am very excited that he is back in the game making business and hopefully he will have enough time and money to make it 100% what he wants without being a slave to big company deadlines.
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Fire Giant

Brad is getting nervous we have to get the word out more
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Fire Giant

woot someone bought one of their own raid zones
Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brad is getting nervous we have to get the word out more
Hell I'm nervous. I started a pre-launch guild and am way too excited about this game. I NEED it to be successful during this KS campaign! GAHHHHHH!!!
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Sarnak

The Kickstarter has now received over 100k in pledges! Hoping this trend continues and someone even bought one of the 10k pledges last night!
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Closed Thread