Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Default Cats on the Moon

I don't know why, but today I was overcome by an intense desire to play cats on the moon. New server reroll, lets hit it to the moon!

Discuss.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know why, but today I was overcome by an intense desire to play cats on the moon. New server reroll, lets hit it to the moon!

Discuss.
Too busy playing Lizards on the Isle.
The internet is a cruel, anonymous fight club where your weaknesses will be exploited and your fears used against you. Use the internet for entertainment and maybe information, as long as you realize that most of it is false. But if your sole social circle exists entirely online, you're already fucked if you can't hack it alone, because you are.
Sithix Wraithscale - Necro
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Cats on the Moon was the beginning of the end; that much is obvious from step one, when the expansion was named "Shadows of Luclin" (SoL = Shit outta Luck).

AAs, the Bazaar, The Nexus, and the updated graphics all killed the game. Maybe many of us were too young for it to have realized it at the time, but looking back I think many of us can see that this was the expansion, not PoP, that killed the game, because it killed the community by reducing the reliance on Druids/Wizards for ports and eliminated the need to interact with people to trade. Things like AAs, which added never ending progression at 60 and created a schism between fresh 60s and veterans, and the updated graphics engine which forced many people to upgrade their comps when previously there was not a need for such a thing, only added insult to injury.

Even if everything was left as is; new zones with one or two connecting points (e.g., only allowing travel to Luclin via the Dreadlands spires where the Combine originally left from), the graphics engine was left alone, AAs weren't added, Shadow Haven wasn't some "one stop shop" for all your basic needs, and the Bazaar was absolutely obliterated from all memory, I still think Luclin was an absurd expansion. How many of us can actually pronounce the names of many of the higher end monsters? How many felt this diverged from both lore (the combine empire was supposed to be long gone, was it not?) and common fantasy archetypes?

Game would've been fine if we expanded some of Odus, Antonica, and Faydwer (look at a Kunark-era world map; notice a lot of places that were never in the game until like the 12th expansion?) and if they added Kerras as a playable race starting on the island west of Toxxulia.

There, I discussed. :P
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhowl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cats on the Moon was the beginning of the end; that much is obvious from step one, when the expansion was named "Shadows of Luclin" (SoL = Shit outta Luck).

AAs, the Bazaar, The Nexus, and the updated graphics all killed the game. Maybe many of us were too young for it to have realized it at the time, but looking back I think many of us can see that this was the expansion, not PoP, that killed the game, because it killed the community by reducing the reliance on Druids/Wizards for ports and eliminated the need to interact with people to trade. Things like AAs, which added never ending progression at 60 and created a schism between fresh 60s and veterans, and the updated graphics engine which forced many people to upgrade their comps when previously there was not a need for such a thing, only added insult to injury.

Even if everything was left as is; new zones with one or two connecting points (e.g., only allowing travel to Luclin via the Dreadlands spires where the Combine originally left from), the graphics engine was left alone, AAs weren't added, Shadow Haven wasn't some "one stop shop" for all your basic needs, and the Bazaar was absolutely obliterated from all memory, I still think Luclin was an absurd expansion. How many of us can actually pronounce the names of many of the higher end monsters? How many felt this diverged from both lore (the combine empire was supposed to be long gone, was it not?) and common fantasy archetypes?

Game would've been fine if we expanded some of Odus, Antonica, and Faydwer (look at a Kunark-era world map; notice a lot of places that were never in the game until like the 12th expansion?) and if they added Kerras as a playable race starting on the island west of Toxxulia.

There, I discussed. :P
I disagree with a few of your points.

I dont see how relying on something other than wizards and druids ruined anything. TBH, its a pita to both the porter and portee, and most people enjoy traveling by foot. I mean ports are just an easier way to get someplace, which by your definition is a bad thing. Youd meet alot more players running to a location rather than being ported directly to it.

AAs were a great addition to the game. They added a way for you to increase individuality of your toon, and made it so you could choose which aspects of your class you liked the best to become more effective. Later on, AAs became required, which I also had a problem with, but in Luclin it was fantastic, imo.

Im on the fence about the bazaar, I think alot of people on this server (myself included) dont have hours to sit in EC auctioning, and simply avoid the zone and vendor most of the gear I find. I like the player interaction, but I dont think its as beneficial as everyone says it is.

As for Luclin being "absurd" storyline/archtype wise, I think thats a bit silly seeing as fantasy covers more than just orcs and dragons. I like that it broadened things up a bit, as I think if they just did another dragon/god combo expansion things would have gotten stale quickly.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Discuss.
You are about to be injured... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

/em hands Tewaz Kevlar vest and hides behind nearest rock...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Aviak

Luclin was a great expac. The last of the classic expac's IMO. It had great advancements for all classes. It had something for every lvl player in the game (and type be it raider or casual). And the graphics rocked! Best expac imo.

The beginning of the end was PoP. Where raiding took over the focus of game play. Though I really enjoyed raiding and did it all through PoP and for a few expac's past (and all through the classic expac's). This is where the line was drawn in the sand IMO.

Where they sealed the deal was with the advent of instancing where they could do "lazy mans" (or budget cutting if you think that way) content programming and just multiply the same zone over and over to add content instead of adding real content.

For me Luclin is #1 and is the last of the great classic expac's. Then Velious and then Kunark (and the orig eq). [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Rotted Corpse
Necromancer of Cabilis
Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Was the bazaar even fully implemented before PoP?

I mean, I remember the zone came out with Luclin, but it didn't function for a long time if I recall correctly. I know I remember buying a centi longsword in the tunnel.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was the bazaar even fully implemented before PoP?

I mean, I remember the zone came out with Luclin, but it didn't function for a long time if I recall correctly. I know I remember buying a centi longsword in the tunnel.
It was implemented with a patch just before PoP came out.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to Dravingar

I think it's silly that people rage so hard over the bazaar when the forums are more or less text based bazaar system.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravingar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's silly that people rage so hard over the bazaar when the forums are more or less text based bazaar system.
The difference between EC Tunnel and the Bazaar, even if you account for the forums:

The Bazaar requires 0 player interaction, there's no trading, bartering, or haggling. Just set prices and go to bed / work.

At least EC and the forums require people to interact and talk, and there's some flexibility in how people want to sell their stuff (e.g., it's pretty common for people to ask for something like "100pp or Bard gear" when selling something) and when someone undercuts you, or if there's multiple people selling the same thing, you can respond immediately to raise interest in your wares rather than competing with a bunch of statues with AFK tags next to their names.
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Closed Thread