Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default Recreating the classic experience: item recharging

This should be pretty easy to settle.

Boxing and item recharging were both possible day 1 on EQ and through Velious.

Very very few people boxed, so we do not allow it to recreate the "classic experience".

An even smaller number people knew about item recharging (especially during Kunark) even compared to the # of people boxing.

How is allowing item recharging recreating the classic experience again? Should we just allow boxing too?

Inb4 raiders that love rushing down mobs with midnight mallet for ezpz lemon sqzy agro gain. Show me some threads/history for raid strategy where they have the tanks rush in with fully charged mallets that they recharged on the regular.

tl;dr midnight mallet quest ruins my immersion.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

I like this post.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like this post.
So do I, but the fact is we can never go back to the classic experience... where there was no info on most of the game and everything was a mystery. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] makes me sad.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Sarnak

Let's not forget the limitations of the hardware we had during that era too. Zoning could take up to 5 minutes on a p200! Bring back classic zoning times and framerates.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Bring it mechanically close. If you still don't get those feels it's your own problem.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Compelling post.

Classic - Kunark it wasn't too common of practice to recharge items. Velious it became more prevalent:

EQ Cleric 2002

Quote:
You can recharge a Larriken's the following way.

1) Sell a fully charged mask to a vendor.
2) Sell the empty mask to the same vendor.
3) Buy back both masks - now fully charged. (I havent done so and hence dont know the price).

The mask is lore though - so you need 2 chars to do this. Also make sure to use a fairly empty vendor - you dont want to have to buy a lot of junk before your masks show up for sale.
EQCleric 2001

Quote:
You need 2 - 1 with charges and one without. Sell the one with charges to a vendor first then the one without charges. The vendor will stack them so when you buy them back they will both have charges. This can be done with Larriken's Masks, old pumice stones and I assume the staff.
Posts in era confirming the recharging mechanic. These are on open boards that many people read. I think it's fair to say during Velious it was becoming common knowledge. The strategy of using mallets to aggro however may not have been.

A more compelling notion would be making SoulFire paladin only clickable.

Though I will say. Not Classic.

Nirgon, I know you want a classic experience. Work to make Red a server worthy of playing on. Slay the global OOC, PvP text and Group EXP bonuses first. Then reconsider item recharge on blue.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This should be pretty easy to settle.

Boxing and item recharging were both possible day 1 on EQ and through Velious.

Very very few people boxed, so we do not allow it to recreate the "classic experience".

An even smaller number people knew about item recharging (especially during Kunark) even compared to the # of people boxing.

How is allowing item recharging recreating the classic experience again? Should we just allow boxing too?

Inb4 raiders that love rushing down mobs with midnight mallet for ezpz lemon sqzy agro gain. Show me some threads/history for raid strategy where they have the tanks rush in with fully charged mallets that they recharged on the regular.

tl;dr midnight mallet quest ruins my immersion.
www.stahptryingtobreakmybladestopper.com

Thats one website right there.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Kobold

I also do not like this recharge stuff, it was never part of my classic experience.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogie305 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
www.stahptryingtobreakmybladestopper.com

Thats one website right there.
That nice try doe.

Love me some Redgar.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Kobold

I boxed occasionally in Kunark and Velious, and I believe I recharged an item once or twice during Velious. Both should NOT be enabled on Project1999. Takes away from the server experience IMO.
Closed Thread