Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

well right they are only given certain options, but at every point of the process the jury can at least hang itself if not go against what is recommended by process
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ofc any ruling is subject to appeal, but juries can do a lot more than they are told they can do.
The definition of "reasonable doubt" is also totally subjective. It always amazes me how strict "reasonable doubt" becomes in high-profile cases like this and Casey Anthony. People are sentenced to life in prison or death on much less evidence on a routine basis.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

I was summoned for jury duty once only. The judge explained that if they get evidence that points to guilt they MUST convict. So I asserted very loudly that that was absolutely not the case and that jurors can and should enter not guilty if they feel that someone has broken an unjust law.

I was quickly dismissed and I've never been summoned since.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice_Mizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The definition of "reasonable doubt" is also totally subjective. It always amazes me how strict "reasonable doubt" becomes in high-profile cases like this and Casey Anthony. People are sentenced to life in prison or death on much less evidence on a routine basis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne_effect
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was summoned for jury duty once only. The judge explained that if they get evidence that points to guilt they MUST convict. So I asserted very loudly that that was absolutely not the case and that jurors can and should enter not guilty if they feel that someone has broken an unjust law.

I too have used Jury Nullification to avoid jury duty. Works everytime. Waiting for a case for a pot conviction to let the person off.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Capital!

Quote:

HAVE SOME SENSE OF CIVIC DUTY, BRO ...
Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice_Mizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HAVE SOME SENSE OF CIVIC DUTY, BRO ...
The goal was to be a conscientious juror, I wasn't trying to be nullified.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Good for you.

Haven't been called highly doubt I ever will

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
The goal was to be a conscientious juror, I wasn't trying to be nullified.
I was the jk.

I was a juror a few years ago, and it was a pretty brutal experience. It wasn't anything huge-- a guy got a ticket for driving without insurance, and went to court with some forged documents saying he actually did have insurance at the time. The whole trial took 4 days, and the guy represented himself (poorly). He told the jury he'd go to prison if he was found guilty because of his past record (which is against the law). The solidarity and comradery that blooms among jurors is definitely interesting-- you wind up growing oddly close to your fellow jurors. At least that was my experience.

I feel awful for the jurors in the Zimmerman case, though I couldn't bear being a juror in a murder trial-- way too much responsibility.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I feel awful for the jurors in the Zimmerman case, though I couldn't bear being a juror in a murder trial-- way too much responsibility.
and theyll probably be deliberating for weeks

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Closed Thread