Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:20 AM
Sarnak

Default Mob Flee

Problem: Mobs don't seem to flee like they did on live. On live (my memory) as an enchanter doing Seb the frogloks were notorious for running at low health. My memory of live went something like - pull of 2 or 3 frogs. Mezz 1, tank on one, offtank on other. Mezz the 3rd. Nuke the 2 being killed at the end, the dying frogs even in company of others with full health would always try to run away on low health unless a party member was low health aggroed.

P1999: You can snare mobs simply by dragging them to another mob and killing them nearby. Even at low health they'll stand there and not attempt to flee at all, they appear to do this with quite a large radius between mobs.

I did a little bit of initial research and found a couple of things:

Quote:
Multiple Enemy Engagement
Story time: Ok... your fetch has just announce that he/she has not one, not two, not three, but FOUR big yellow aggressive things (for example, Minotaurs). This is a bad situation, as your group has only taken one and occasionally two of the beasts. You can either panic and bug out, or you can try and fight the horrible odds. Let's follow an example party and see how they do against the monsters. This is told from Vogyd's perspective.
Leader:

Teffo, L11 Halfling Cleric (Jim)
Party members:
Zanith, L10 Human Paladin King, L10 Half Elf Bard Vogyd, L12 High Elf Magician (Drew) Adaemus, L11 Dwarf Warrior
We had all rested up after a combat with 2 of the beasts, when we hear, "Oh... that's bad." from Zanith, our fetch. He had been scouting looking for a minotaur or two in the middle of the area where they spawn... when all of them spawned. He high-tailed it out of there with four minotaurs on him, and informed us as to our fate. "4 incoming." We briefly discussed our options, and then decided to try to smoke them.
The Bard switched to a combat anthem, and we waited for the enemy to arrive. As soon as Zanith arrived, I dropped a Fire Shield on both him and Adaemus. With four enemies, that mana cost would easily be made up for in damage done to our tanks. Teffo began to heal Zanith, and then we began to melee the beasts.

After a few seconds, we realized this was going to be close fight as both of our tanks were below 50% health, and I began searching for a monster with lowest hps. This would be the monster that was being attacked by our warriors. Most of the monsters were slightly damaged (from the Fire Shields) and eventually I found one at half life. I then burned it down the rest of the way. Teffo began to heal Zanith and Adaemus while fighting one of the monsters he had engaged long enough to draw its attack onto himself and away from the damaged warriors. King had also drawn one onto himself and resumed his attack on the next one targeted by the party.

Quickly, the odds shift into our favor, as we have now a 5 vs. 3 advantage. Again, the warriors concentrate on one enemy, and I begin to fry the monster as it attempts to flee having dropped to about 20% of it's health total. While I am burning, the tanks are very low on hps, so Teffo backed out of melee to heal while the tanks switch to yet another enemy. After dispatching my runner, I step into combat to make sure that others have cover, as Zanith was near 20% (he backs out), and I take some hits from one of the mostly undamaged minotaurs (which quickly reduces my hps to half). Zanith is mostly restored by Teffo's spells and returns to combat. I back out, and dispatch another minotaur who had decided to try and leave the area (low on health) with a few spells.

I am now extremely low on mana, so I save the rest in case of an emergency and step into melee range of the remaining beast. Adaemus and Zanith quickly maim the enemy and we cut it down from behind as it attempts to flee.

Analysis:

This little story demonstrates many key events in good party dynamics. Primarily, it shows that with good teamwork, a party can take out groups of dangerous (yellow!) monsters very effectively as long as certain rules are followed.

Concentrating attacks on one enemy removes it from combat, lessening the damage done to the party as a whole.

When engaging multiple enemies, make sure that they all are concentrated on players who can take the damage. Tanks. If a spellcaster becomes a target, the party is in big trouble as without the fire support bad things happen. Thus, in large combats, the spellcasters should stay out of combat as much as possible until things are less chaotic (ie: fewer enemies) and should NOT burn randomly. That is the surest way to draw an undamaged beast onto you. Bad mage.

Spellcasters should endeavor to finish weaker monsters off quickly. This allows the warriors to get on to more important business. Also is much safer for the spellcaster (as mentioned in #2), as the monster is already really angry at the tanks who did most of the damage.

Good communication. Zanith told the party what was going on well before bringing the enemies into range, allowing the party to have a good look at the situation before committing. Everyone responded to 'Back off' commands, and they also concentrated their attacks well on successive monsters. They all knew that I was finishing off the 'runners' so they could concentrate on the monsters in their face and not on the ones that would be coming back with friends after healing a bit.

Overall, this fight was one of the best I have been in ever. Everyone did their part and there was very little confusion. Everyone knew what was happening and trusted the other members to do their part. I hope everyone gets a chance to experience this sort of coordinated action at some point in their EQ career. It's nearly indescribably cool.
Need to do a bit more research but does anyone else remember the runners, surprised if not because they were the things most responsible for wiping out groups in my memory (and necro pets but hey)

https://web.archive.org/web/20010203...roup_adv.shtml
Old 12-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Kobold

Personally i remember mobs not fleeing if there was more than one engaged. Which i remember taking advantage of as a mage with no snare or root
Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally i remember mobs not fleeing if there was more than one engaged. Which i remember taking advantage of as a mage with no snare or root
Hey Lurk. You have a good memory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Did a bit of research and you are correct. Found some 2001 and 2000 posts which verify your memory.

Take care

Move to Resolved.
Closed Thread