Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Default Corpses should only last 24 hours when logged in

During research it appears this previously was posted, but nothing ever came of it. Haynar even mentioned that it was being worked on:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/a.../t-176039.html

Even noticed some other posts from Nilbog mentioning current decay timers aren't classic and needs more information. Is this a conscious decision not to adjust? There was speculation in above thread that it would create too much a strain on CSR staff for corpse reimbursement.

Some other evidence I've found to back it up, as well as reposting some evidence from the original thread:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/arch...pdate_0499.htm
Quote:
April 20, 1999: I normally don't put general news on this page, but John Smedley posted important information on EQVault about how corpse recovery now works. I have added it as a tip into the player's guide, but here is the whole post:

"In a nutshell, the Corpse Recovery rules are as follows: Characters All Levels: If you have no items on your corpse, it will dissapear within 3 minutes. Characters Level 1-5: Corpse will dissapear within 30 minutes (real time) whether you are online or offline. Those of you wondering why this rule is in place? - There would be WAY to many bodies if we didn't do it this way. Characters Level 6 and above - Corpse will dissapear within 24 hours if the player is online (being at the character select screen STILL counts as online). Corpses will dissapear within 1 week if the player is offline."
The Ruins of Kunark strategy guide backs this up, if you scroll to page 34 of the guide in this link you'll see a description of how it should work. I've retyped it below the link:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/53542242/...fficial-eGuide

Quote:
How long will my corpse last?
All Levels: If you have no items on your corpse, it will disappear within 3 minutes.

Level 1-5: Corpse will disappear within 30 minutes (real time) whether online or offline.

Level 6+: Corpse will disappear within 24 hours if you are online (being at the Character Select screen still counts as online). Corpses will disappear at the end of 1 week if you are offline.

NOTE: The amount of time you spend online, while a corpse is decaying, will be proportionally subtracted from the amount of offline time available. For example, if you are online for 12 of the 24 hours, your corpse will have 3 days and 12 hours of offline time (half of one week) available to it.
February 21, 2001 patch notes:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/hist...es-2001-1.html
Quote:
--- Naked PC corpses that have experience and are above level 30 will
now last 3 hours instead of 3 minutes.
I interpret this as previously if you died naked over level 30 you had to find a rez in 3 mins or you were screwed. Must have been terrible for death loops! Also backs up the claim in the Kunark guide that naked corpses of all levels used to last only 3 minutes.

Would appreciate a dev response if this will be changed or P99 is the way it is to make things easier on CSR.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

See http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=176015

& http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=176039

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Still confused if this is something to keep bumping for implementation or Nilbog/Rogean prefer this server stay with the 7 day timer online.

Those threads linked are 2 and 3 years old. In my opinion should be implemented, makes sky less trivial and makes corpsing lore items waaaaay more tedious.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

I think the issue is corpsedecay is functionally non-existent.

People are pixel addicts and all decayed corpses get restored.

This already gets abused as it stands (oh I am stuck somewhere hard, I'll eat a death and play another character for a week and then get my body summoned for free).

I imagine the strain on CSR will be greater when one can have their corpse restored after just 24hrs.

We need to knuckle down and deal with the fact that sometime pixel loss happens when we die in a hard place. This is the only way 24 hour online rot timers can be practical for CSR.

Hell, maybe it will be good for the item bloat for a few people to lose all their gear occasionally!

The other thing, is to use the non-classic solution of implementing shadowrest (i.e. corpse summoners), which would make corpse decay a non-csr issue.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Project Manager

This is something that needs to happen, just hasn't been done yet.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is something that needs to happen, just hasn't been done yet.
Thank you for the response and clarification, Nilbog. Much appreciated!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still confused if this is something to keep bumping for implementation or Nilbog/Rogean prefer this server stay with the 7 day timer online.

Those threads linked are 2 and 3 years old.
I think the developers would agree that you should add your new evidence to the original posts (and not make new posts). Many of the posts are >3 years old, but they are still relevant. There are 100+ pages here of issues, and duplicate posts just add noise to the backlog. Bump em!

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Apologies, when doing my original search I came across the first link you posted and found it was closed, the 2nd link I found via google and thought it was listed as archived so assumed it was closed, which is why I created a new thread with the Kunark guide, and linked some of the old stuff.

Can move this thread into that one if a mod can do as such.