Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Default Windows 10 Update made EQ unplayable.

So, as the title states I was running windows10 for months without any issues at all. In fact, EQ worked very well until an update installed on 8/3/2016. This update completely fucked up my ability to play eq. As soon as I load in, it feels as if I am playing back in 1999. Its completely choppy and basically unplayable in any setting where I am not the only person in a given area.

Should I just reboot computer to a fresh windows install, figure out a way to disable this automatic update, and then re-install EQ? I can't really figure out any other ways to fix it.

I tried uninstalling the most recent (and only update since I got this computer) and it did nothing to help. It frustrates me to no end that I went AFK for 3 hours and come home to find that I can't play EQ anymore.

Any help/advice would be appreciated; if I cant figure out a way to fix this by sunday I'm going to just wipe it clean.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

I literally just saw you run by at the WC rings. You looked fine to me.

./me says hey baby whats your name!!

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 08-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Fire Giant

You bell end mate. First thing i did when Windows 10 came out :

-Control panel
-All Control panel items
-Windows Update
-Change setting
-Then check the "fuck off Bill Gates" box.

If you havent got a way to system restore pre-install then id wipe it clean (download EQ and whatever else you want to a stick first) . Im sure theres a faster fix but id just want to get rid of Windows 10.
The last AVG patch also screwed up EQ - i have to disable anti-virus for the first minute just so i can run the EQ exe then its ok to turn back on.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I literally just saw you run by at the WC rings. You looked fine to me.

./me says hey baby whats your name!!
Yeah, I'm fine as long as there isn't like more than 2-3 people in the area. Once I enter a populated/active area, the game becomes literally unplayable. I think if I can't figure out a fix by sunday I will just start with a fresh windows install, disable windows update, and then install EQ.

Other than that, I'm stumped at the moment.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Do you have logging enabled? This used to happen to me due to corrupt log files, drove me insane until I finally figured it out. It was trying to write to a corrupt file every time there was a new line of text in game and it would cause gameplay to lag and stutter like crazy. After I cleaned out my log folder by moving all of my log files to a different folder for archival purposes, it created new logs when I logged back in and it was fixed.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

check your video drivers?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Relevant: a Windows 7 upgrade as of 3-4 months ago caused serious system instability (instant shutdowns).

I will never keep updates turned on ever again. I'm done with Microsoft, they broke my trust too many times in 2016. I didn't know what the fuck happened and troubleshooted it for hours before I realized that yep, Microsoft fucked me over. Upon rollback and system restore, I instantly shut down updates permanently to see if that would fix the problem and blocked the upgrade they were trying to give me. That fixed it.

Advice: keep updates shut down, its just not worth it unless its something like a "service pack" or something.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 08-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Relevant: a Windows 7 upgrade as of 3-4 months ago caused serious system instability (instant shutdowns).

I will never keep updates turned on ever again. I'm done with Microsoft, they broke my trust too many times in 2016. I didn't know what the fuck happened and troubleshooted it for hours before I realized that yep, Microsoft fucked me over. Upon rollback and system restore, I instantly shut down updates permanently to see if that would fix the problem and blocked the upgrade they were trying to give me. That fixed it.

Advice: keep updates shut down, its just not worth it unless its something like a "service pack" or something.
There are no "service packs" anymore. The 8/3 update was basically the closest you will get to one with windows 10 though. Sucks you got 1 bad update and now shun off updates. Windows 7 ran great for me for like 5 years, Windows 8.1 ran great for me for over a year and Windows 10 has been going strong for 2 months now. There are always precautions you can make and things to change that will make your experience better and easier. Sometimes it takes a little work on your part though.
Last edited by Thulack; 08-06-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Old 08-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have logging enabled? This used to happen to me due to corrupt log files, drove me insane until I finally figured it out. It was trying to write to a corrupt file every time there was a new line of text in game and it would cause gameplay to lag and stutter like crazy. After I cleaned out my log folder by moving all of my log files to a different folder for archival purposes, it created new logs when I logged back in and it was fixed.
Yeah, I've had this issue as well. It's something else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
check your video drivers?
I'm going to give that a go when I get home from work later on, if that doesn't fix anything I'll be starting fresh and never downloading an update from windows again.

I actually checked to see if there is a way to turn off auto update and couldn't find any way to do so. Some googling has turned up that basically the only way to keep it from updating is to set all of your normal connections as metered and turn off updates for metered connections.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

i heard u cant even turn off windows updates in win 10