Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 AM
Large Bat

Default Shaman or enchanter

Have played p99 very little in the past. I believe i made it to 5 monk before friends and family stopped playing and due to work I was unable to play but very little. Wanted to come back and start as a shaman or enchanter. I have read for hours the discussions on the boards about races for both and the different guides for each class.

The question I had is the difference in the two from 1-59 and the difference at 60. I have played both classes live but never pre planes of power. Any advice would be welcomed. Also will be starting with close to nothing if that matters per these two classes. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

Ench is much easier just starting out and infinitely cheaper to gear.
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Old 04-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

I feel like a Shaman with epic and level 60 spells is much more powerful than an Enchanter with epic and level 60 spells. Yes, the Enchanter can do more damage with a charmed pet, but the Shaman can kill much more powerful opponents. Soloing by rooting and rotting is also much safer than charm.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Orc

I have to agree with Froakula. I've decided not to start a shaman until I'm able to afford a fungi tunic..that's pretty much the bottom line.

Enchanters are MUCH easier to gear up..INT being the cheaper stat to buy..as well as CHA vs WIS.

Not to mention the fact that enchanters are simply fun to play. You can fit them into quite a few different roles..support(buffs/debuffs/CC) is the main one, DPS, or even tanking if you're able to charm a mob effectively and you have a healer..but you can easily have two enchanters in a group and not have the 'waste' you would for a lot of other classes.

Playing an enchanter takes style baby. Very fun, and very versatile.

Whatever you do, make sure you go agnostic with religion if you choose enchanter. It gives you the free-est reign to walk around un-hated wherever the hell you want.

Samoht isn't incorrect either though. It's always fun to see shaman quad root rotting 51+ mobs.. It all depends what you want either way. Just my opinion...if you're starting the game fresh, enchanter is easier to jump in and get dirty with. It also gives you a VERY good understanding of game mechanics which will set you up for success for every character you make after that. Just don't get discouraged and make sure to do the homework on things that are stumping you.
Last edited by FoxFritter; 04-22-2017 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention Samoht
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like a Shaman with epic and level 60 spells is much more powerful than an Enchanter with epic and level 60 spells. Yes, the Enchanter can do more damage with a charmed pet, but the Shaman can kill much more powerful opponents. Soloing by rooting and rotting is also much safer than charm.

Pretty much agree with Samoht, Although I would say an enc could usually take down equally as difficult opponents, your life lies in the RNG every charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFritter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Samoht isn't incorrect either though. It's always fun to see shaman quad root rotting 51+ mobs..
As for this, it's not just about multi epic/root. At 60 with torpor shaman style of gameplay changes immensely, As most fights can be turned into an endurance contest at that point for the shaman. Enchanters play similarly 20-60, Burst damage with charm pet, and hope RNG is in your favor.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

First off, gear on a Shaman (and on an Enchanter) does not really matter, with a few exceptions. Leveling up I had total crap for gear, and even at 60 I am still wearing several pieces of ringmail and similar junk, but not caring (see Magelo link below). However there are four key Shaman purchases, all of which are not cheap (a fungi, JBB, epic, and Torpor) vs. only one for an Enchanter, and its cheap (Goblin Gazughi Ring? their epic isn't even that great). However Shaman are good at farming plat and valuable items so this just means you'll spend more time farming if you pick a Shaman.

As far as soloing end-game content, solo leveling, and grouping, both classes are about equal. Both can solo high-end stuff that other classes can't, both can easily earn XP soloing, and both are desired in groups.

Things a Shaman can do that an Enchanter can't: SoW (and they get insta-click SoW booties), Cannibalize (huge downtime saver), heal, root/rot (Enchanter DoTs are weak), wear leather and chain armor, have more hp, slow slightly better

Things an Enchanter can do that a Shaman can't:
Clarity (also big downtime saver), charm (incredibly powerful), mez, haste slightly better, illusions and faction buffs

TLDR: Go for shaman if you want a battle caster, go for an enchanter if you want a puppet master

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-22-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Orc

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At 60 with torpor shaman style of gameplay changes immensely, As most fights can be turned into an endurance contest at that point for the shaman.
That's one of the reasons I was saying enchanters are easier to get started with. Torpor is an incredibly expensive spell..ESPECIALLY if it's going to be his first actual main.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFritter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's one of the reasons I was saying enchanters are easier to get started with. Torpor is an incredibly expensive spell..ESPECIALLY if it's going to be his first actual main.
That's very true but I felt it was worth mentioning since he specifically asked on how they played different at 60 compared to 1-59

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although I would say an enc could usually take down equally as difficult opponents, your life lies in the RNG every charm.
I was specifically thinking of things like WW dragons that an Enchanter can't even touch because they will dispel charm on the pet.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was specifically thinking of things like WW dragons that an Enchanter can't even touch because they will dispel charm on the pet.
I've seen chanters stack charm up to the 10th slot or so and spam bracer/etc on pet to maintain charm, is that not really viable on WW dragons? I've only ever shaman'd them myself, personally.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread