Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Orc

Default Difference between P1999 and new Agnarr TLP

Alright I used to play p1999 red extensively and I haven't touched live EQ since the PoP expansion. I've read similar threads about previous TLP servers but what I'm trying to get a sense of is exactly what EQ classic/kunark/velious is like on the TLP live servers, especially the upcoming Agnarr. Trying to decide if its worth a months sub to try out a new TLP server launch.

This is my understanding of the differences, does this capture the main issues or is there more?
  • TLP servers don't use classic spell files like P1999, so I assume casters benefit from whatever updates/buffs/changes have been made to 1-60 spells over the years. Does this drastically change caster gameplay? Do casters get brand new spells or are their spell values just tweaked compared to what we'er used to on p1999? I read mages pets were OP but have since been nerfed for Agnarr.
  • TLP servers have updated melee mechanics / formulas, so I assume this means they are way more powerful than they used to be in classic -- but again do the classes play exactly like they normally would 1-60, just more powerful? I've read monks fists formulas are OP.
  • TLP servers have out of combat regen, however this will be turned off for agnarr, so not an issue.
  • TLP servers have revamped Freeport, which apparently sucks
  • TLP servers have newer graphics, but I've read you can at least downgrade the client to use Velious-era graphics?
  • There is a cash shop element where you can buy stuff in game for kronos currency, and can buy items in game from other players with kronos?
  • No exp penalties, no hell levels, increased xp rates for leveling?
  • Instanced raiding, and 'pick zones' which are basically dynamic instances spawned for certain zones based on population.
  • Bard swarm kiting is long gone?
  • Each class gets one home teleport to their home city once per hour.

Does that cover the main things? Is the game otherwise relatively the same in terms of gameplay? For example, melees like warriors/rogues still need to at least duo to gain xp, you won't see warriors running around plowing through mobs on their own. Casters will still have to spend a lot of time meditating. Quad kiting is still a thing and the best way for a solo to gain exp. Groups will still struggle to hold down emperor crush's throneroom when they get there in cloth rags with rusty weapons for the first time, etc.

Or is the gameplay just drastically different and nothing like classic?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

DoTs stack so it makes necromancers very powerful also
Old 04-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Orc

When couldn't DOTs stack. I played a shaman on live and you could always stack multiple DOTS since day one. So could Necros. Same is true on P99.....
Old 04-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwayb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When couldn't DOTs stack. I played a shaman on live and you could always stack multiple DOTS since day one. So could Necros. Same is true on P99.....
Pretty sure you couldn't stack the same dot on 2 different chars making necros essentially useless dps on raids before velious.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwayb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you are just talking about... Shaman spells in general. We're talking about the same DoT spell from multiple people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2002-2.html
** Spell Stacking Changes **

We've made two changes to the way spells stack.

Damage Over Time (DoT) spells are spells that linger on the target
doing damage. Until today two different characters could not have the
same DoT spell on the same target. As long as one copy of the spell was
active any new version of the spell would not take hold. After today
the same DoT spell cast by different casters can affect the same target
at the same time.
Also, if you cast a DoT spell on a target and you
already have that spell active on it, the spell will refresh. (Note: It
will not be possible to stack Lifeburn).
September 4th 2002, so it'll never happen here.
Last edited by Crawdad; 04-24-2017 at 04:43 PM..
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you are just talking about... Shaman spells in general. We're talking about the same DoT spell from multiple people.

September 4th 2002. It'll never happen here.

Ok that makes more sense. Never understood why they didn't allow them to stack. It is no different than multiple nukes of the same spell landing at the same time. But I can't see why it would be way to overpowering. I am use to them not stacking like that.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

they recently added in auto attack skills.

I do not need to click backstab on my rog anymore, it can auto backstab for me. Great for people who wish to multi box.

Its great for me when we r 2-3 grouping Vexthal bosses with insane HP count. 15min fights where I no longer need to spam backstab.

Also /autofire for rangers archery has been in game for a long time.
Chillout - Enc
Worlds - War
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

I have a 63 Ranger on phinney. You basically covered it. All classes are basically just beefier versions of p99s classes. Otherwise they all play the same as you're used to on p99. I turn on old models so characters look like I'm used to seeing.

Really the only change you didn't totally touch on is the zone revamps. They changed many more besides just Freeport (which is horrible) like commonlands is one giant zone revamped and no more east and west. Highpass is also different....more I'm probably not thinking of.

But all and all I really have enjoyed my time on the TLP servers.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aGenda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[*] TLP servers have newer graphics, but I've read you can at least downgrade the client to use Velious-era graphics?[*] There is a cash shop element where you can buy stuff in game for kronos currency, and can buy items in game from other players with kronos?
I always liked oldworld graphics also till i started using Luclin graphics. Ornaments are available for Heroforge to really customize your look. The BP bracer boots in this pic are special ornament aug called Insidious.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

All races have robe graphics now also. TONS of graphics can be purchased in marketplace. Each account gets 500DB points to spend every month for free. You do not need to spend IRL cash for this.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Krono is bought from market place, can be sold to other players.
Agnarr people will farm drops to sell to make money to buy Krono, you wont need to pay 15$ a month anymore. I've been on phinny since Jan and only paid for my first month membership. I have 4 kronos saved up so far.
Chillout - Enc
Worlds - War
Old 04-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Krono is bought from market place, can be sold to other players.
Agnarr people will farm drops to sell to make money to buy Krono, you wont need to pay 15$ a month anymore. I've been on phinny since Jan and only paid for my first month membership. I have 4 kronos saved up so far.
I've read neckbeards will camp the popular items 24/7 (such as GEBs) and sell for kronos only. Does this imply that if I want GEBs, and can't camp it myself, it is expected I would buy kronos from the shop and trade them for the item in game?
Closed Thread