Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 AM
Orc

Default P99 Etiquette question.

Tonight leveling in oasis we had a group member that left to go train dual wield mid group. When he said he was leaving to train I almost asked him to just stay and do it later so we wouldn't lose the XP bonus, but I decided perhaps it was a quick trip for him and he'd already considered the travel time.

Fast forward 30 minutes and he's still in butcherblock, we're in Oasis. I send him a tell and try to inform him of the etiquette of skilling up/trading/selling/etc on his time and remembering to consider the time of others. The conversation quickly derails as he becomes defensive and I get impatient.

His argument initially is the cost to others (bonus xp, 1 dps down) is not significant enough for him to need to consider it. My rebuttal was that the consideration of others builds good character and I wish him a good night. From there he continues to argue that because he had a druid from his guild giving us sow and healing us (we had two clerics), and because the group leader was in his guild (half the group was his guild), that again the consideration of others was unnecessary. From there his guildmates drop the group and leave the camp, surely not happy with me.

I suppose its just my nature to try and "assist" people who show signs of lack of consideration, but was my attempt to "assist" him unfounded? I recall that leaving a group for extended periods of time unless in truly dire need (corpse run?) being a bit of a faux pas in previous years playing this game.

So ultimately two questions.
1) Is it still considered bad form to leave groups like that?
2) Did I overreact and treat what is considered as a largely casual experience for many in a manner that was unwarranted.
Last edited by rapalabrowns; 04-25-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Old 04-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Fire Giant

1) If you leave the zone (for anything other than losing aggro or getting a sow outdoors, anything longer than 5mins) I would expect them to at least -offer- to leave the group at that point.

2) Sounds like a guild group that was upset you weren't giving preferential treatment to their guildmate. Maybe if they could field their own full group of guildmates they could shirk standard group protocol.

As far as having a druid there helping...Your call. I wouldn't feel inclined to sit in a subpar group with people on different continents who refuse to leave the group unless you were getting straight up free PL (constant 20+DS, regen, healing taken care of)

Even if you were getting free PL, from their guildmate druid, why the fuck didn't he just port the guy who was training there and back in 5mins lol.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Kobold

What was he doing in Butcher block? FP is two zones away and has every class but druids, shammies and rangers. Rangers get dual wield. Was he a ranger? Why didn't the druid from his guild who was healing you guys TP him?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:23 AM
Orc

He was a ranger yes, and I beleive a druid did port him, why it took as long as it did I'm uncertain. As for the PL from the druid, I wouldn't have had any issues with being one down for however long it took, if we were truly being power leveled by someone.

In any case the gentlemen ended up apologizing in tell shortly after, no hard feelings and in the future he'll consider it. Think he was just a bit over zealous enjoying the game that's brought all of us countless hours of enjoyment and temporarily lost his senses.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Fire Giant

Really sounds like a new guy // new druid. Most experienced druids would have ported to steamfont as it is closer to Gfay than BB (2 zones, but the actual distance you have to cross is MUCH shorter, ~5500units in a maze-like BB vs ~2500 units in SF and ~1000units in Lfay)

Unless he wasn't leveled up enough to use the SFont port, in which case it definitely wouldn't be logical to stay in that group.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Little (?) known fact, Kithicor has ranger trainers. He doesn't need to catch the boat or get a port to train.

I don't usually try to correct others on p99. Not worth the stress. If I comment, I'm usually polite and drop the subject entirely after stating my opinion.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Little (?) known fact, Kithicor has ranger trainers. He doesn't need to catch the boat or get a port to train.

I don't usually try to correct others on p99. Not worth the stress. If I comment, I'm usually polite and drop the subject entirely after stating my opinion.
Good place to start a CR at night at 17.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Sarnak

I was pulling crushbone and had pulled slaver pit like 8x. My pull didn't show up one time and i get a nasty tell saying don't ever f'n pull my camp again or i'll have my 60 druid friend aoe every pull you do. I told him to suck my left testy and that he wasn't there the last 8x i pulled the camp and next time announce he is taking the camp and this wouldn't have happened. So he told his druid friend to ks my group. I explained the same thing to his druid friend and he said "sorry, my friend is American". As an American is just laughed and said touche.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

If they leave fill the spot til he comes back. Anyone that low that isn't twinkled is gonna take 30-60 mins minimum. It's the nature of the game.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Large Rat

I was in the group with Rapala. We just started playing P99 but vividly remember the black listing that occurred in original EQ if you failed to have proper etiquette. I remember in old EQ days if someone did something wrong, such as this, you could message people in their guild and they would take care of it. That all occurred because your reputation with the community mattered. We were both under the impression that that part of EQ would be here as well.

Like Rapala said the ranger did profusely apologize about 30 minutes after this all went down. It took a big person to do that imo. Part of the reason we came back to EQ was the community. The required interaction and relationships you have to form in order to make it from level 1 to 60 is a huge factor in making EQ what it is. We were just checking to see if this was an outlier interaction or if that is how people on this server typically act so we can adjust our expectations properly.

I truly appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.
Closed Thread