Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Aviak

Default Incorrect definition of casuals

I think a lot of people who play this game excessively have started to define raid guilds as 'casuals' inappropriately.

About 13 years ago, I raided 3-4 days a week in the top guild on my server. That was considered hardcore back then. We had 30-40 online in kunark and 40-60 online in velious during primetimes.

I am now in a guild Taken, in which I log in to raid 3-6 times a week and actively raid / level / farm. I also have more alts than I did back then. I consider myself hardcore at this point - along with many of my guildmates. BDA & A-Team also log in just as much and they are on par with the 'hardcore' title.

Now, in my day, there were a select few who 'lived' in EQ and they didn't do much else in life. Those people were in my guild and they pretty much had everything there was to be had in the game. Well deserved because they put in their time and liked to craft / quest. Poopsocking did not exist on my server then.

Those excessive hardcores existed on many of the original live servers. Now that mentality is on P99 and those players call themselves hardcore. No, its not hardcore, its excessive hardcore. Taken / BDA / A-Team are hardcore players (I think all of these guilds have a few excessive hardcore players as well).

I just cannot stand by and watch these continual posts about 'casuals' pop up attacking our dedication & collective right to play the game. How often is it that a troublemaker on this server is a extreme/excessive player vs. a hardcore player? I guess you all know that answer.

So let's stop bashing real hardcore players, keep the server friendly and if you choose to play in excess it doesn't entitle you to everything. You are not more important than anyone else.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Back in the day, in my guild (classic) we raided everyday we had a chance too; although we had many many members from all time zones.... So im guessing that is why we were not limited to smaller raid time frames, we accepted everyone. Kind of like America /dream
Old 01-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Aviak

Yes.

While we're at it why don't peeps stop attaching derogatory terms to people who's play-style is different from theirs.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Sarnak

People choose to spend their time playing EQ in different ways. If you are in TMO and FE/IB and you choose spend two hours tracking one night, another person in Taken could have spent two hours leveling some alt or camping something to sell in EC. I honestly don't know why "hardcores" are hated on so much for choosing to waste their time differently than others. Raiders and groupers/soloers should be the different categories of people, not casual and hardcore. I bet the average played time of people in my guild is actually far less than some "casual" guilds. Logging in for batphones once a day doesn't exactly make you more "hardcore" than anyone else. It just means you care more about being at raid kills than leveling alts or making money.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitpoint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People choose to spend their time playing EQ in different ways. If you are in TMO and FE/IB and you choose spend two hours tracking one night, another person in Taken could have spent two hours leveling some alt or camping something to sell in EC. I honestly don't know why "hardcores" are hated on so much for choosing to waste their time differently than others. Raiders and groupers/soloers should be the different categories of people, not casual and hardcore. I bet the average played time of people in my guild is actually far less than some "casual" guilds. Logging in for batphones once a day doesn't exactly make you "hardcore."
It really doesnt take much time either; casual players usually have way more time played unless you are a contender for the longest afk online club; I think a bard still holds the title
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Sarnak

Hi there,

Casual and hardcore aren't terms with hard definitions. They're relative terms.

See Heebo's P99 Moral Compass.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Aviak

I agree - attaching labels is probably just the wrong practice altogether. Dedicated vs casual seem more appropriate. I myself play in excess, but I am not entitled any more than anyone else.

It is true that many just log in to track/batphone and that is what those players dedicate their time to vs leveling an alt or just grouping up. Hitpoint made a very good point there ;-)
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshozal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi there,

Casual and hardcore aren't terms with hard definitions. They're relative terms.

See Heebo's P99 Moral Compass.
Then what do you think about neck-beards and obama-phone carebears?
Planar Protector

Fantastic observation, Durka. I too have noticed how here on Project99 a great many words have their meanings perverted.

For instance, people say "competing" when they mean "compensating".

They say "dedication" when they mean "obsession".

"Effort" when they mean "rote motions".

You've really gotta pay close attention to keep pace with the evolving vernacular.
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTriad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then what do you think about neck-beards and obama-phone carebears?
I think those are crappy slanders used by people who feel they lost out on something.
Closed Thread