Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Fire Giant

Default Can't get past server select, new install

Hi. I'm posting for a friend who is trying to play P99. He has Windows 10.

We got P99 set up on his computer, but whenever we select to play on Project 1999, the screen goes black, and then after a few seconds quits back to the first account login screen. What could be causing this?

I've tried everything I can possibly thing of. Every compatibility mode. Turning off all firewalls and forwarding ports. Changing every resolution. Can't find anything that works.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

In Windows mode and full screen?

Did you try the Alt Enter trick to get things rolling?

Did you install everything proper?

Did you install from CDs/ISO or from the DUXA AIO?

Really what it sounds like is you pissed off the game resolution and it doesn't know what you want. I would start with a fresh install and get everything set and when you see the first black screen ALT ENTER and work it from Windows mode.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 05-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Fire Giant

I tried it from windowed mode as well, starting from alt + enter. I've reinstalled it fresh 3 times to try and offset anything changing.

When starting from alt + enter windowed mode, it wont load past the login screen without reverting back to fullscreen. In eqclient.ini there is no option for windowed mode to change to =1 and no option under screen resolution in eqclient.ini as well.

Everything is installed correctly.

Installed from ISO.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Fire Giant

Doing some more research I found a thread here in the forums which describes the exact same problem. It seems two people both had this problem and resolved it by updating their BIOS. Does anyone have thoughts on whether that could resolve the problem?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Large Rat

The machine I use to play EQ is also what I use for IT work, which means I have TeamViewer starting automatically on each windows start up. If any program you have tries to run some sort of overlay or in TeamViewer's case, add a their nifty easy app window share button to the eqgame.exe's window bar, EQ will fail to load. ----- In my case, I would get just before the characters select screen would load, then the game window would disappear without any sort of crash or error message.

Resolution for me: Exit TeamViewer from system taskbar and all is well.
Last edited by Korjyrin; 05-21-2016 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 05-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

I have teamviewer on all machines that run EQ except one and that machine gives me the most troubles. So I don't think that it has anything to do with TVwer or overlay problems in general as I have so computers with overlays running some specific to EQ and some not.

I've noticed that the launcher and the EQ game are two different programs. So even if you alt ent before server select once the game launches it goes back to full screen and you will have to alt ent again.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter