Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

Default Feeling more nostalgic about project 1999 than classic eq

It's been close to 2 years since I rolled my first character on project 1999. I don't play it all the time, I usually will play it for a month or so at a time every couple months. Sometimes I will log on for a day randomly, play the entire day, then not log on again for weeks. I've rolled many different alts that never made it past level 20, and my main is only level 31, but I still invested time in exploring and going to random areas. With all that said, I love this server. I've begun to feel more nostalgia about this server than I actually do for classic eq.

For me the reason is because this server is more like a sanctuary now... when you've been gaming for 15-20 years hardcore eq is like a sanctuary from the "new style" of gaming. Eq to me is like an experience... when you roll a level 1 character in this game and play it it's not really like any other game. So that's one reason. I come back to this server when I want to recapture my old emotions and enjoyment of discovery when I play an mmo, and this server still achieves that for me. I still get the same excitement of exploration and achievement that I did 10 years ago, but maybe even moreso because I actually realize how special it is.

The second reason is probably because this server was like a second chance. I would always go back to live eq every year or two just to check it out and relive the experience. Eq always held a place in my heart. So when I went back to see live eq butchered a few years ago, it was really sad. I kind of felt like I lost my chance to do something great. When I discovered this server, it was a bit like a second chance to come to "terms" with eq. I wanted to do all the things that I never did before so I wouldn't regret it if a game like this one never came along again. And as a result, I have so many strong memories from this server that I didn't have on live.

I guess the tldr is that my appreciation for this server even existing at all combined with how amazing the eq world is has made me pretty thankful that I have a chance to play eq again. I know it's kind of a lame post but wanted to share my thoughts lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Kobold

Not a lame post, goof. You legit love and appreciate this server. In My Correct Opinion, p99 can always use more people like you. Thank you for being open about it.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Fire Giant

Red face

A lot of complaints about the "frozen in time" crawling along feeling of the server, but the sanctuary aspect OP discusses is one positive for casual players. After all back in the day, classic, kunark, & velious eras only lasted a few months, at most a year and a half so they were quite fleeting.

The fact that those fleeting moments captured so many of us that we all find ourselves here these days, good sign of something worth preserving.

I do wonder, when the server is "perfect", what is the ideal scenario? An infinite loop? Classic > Kunark > Velious > End > Wipe? > Classic (loops)

Or do we move onto custom content?

Post appreciated.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxomatosii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of complaints about the "frozen in time" crawling along feeling of the server, but the sanctuary aspect OP discusses is one positive for casual players. After all back in the day, classic, kunark, & velious eras only lasted a few months, at most a year and a half so they were quite fleeting.

The fact that those fleeting moments captured so many of us that we all find ourselves here these days, good sign of something worth preserving.

I do wonder, when the server is "perfect", what is the ideal scenario? An infinite loop? Classic > Kunark > Velious > End > Wipe? > Classic (loops)

Post appreciated.
My opinion on it is it should be left as it is, and when you max out so to speak you reroll or find things to do that you enjoy. I believe if the game is now a "classic" you have to just leave it as is so people can experience it when they want to experience it. A good analogy to this would be if you had a game like ocarina of time. This is an old game now, but no one ever wishes more could be added on to it. They go back and replay it through and enjoy it and that's that really. People of course want new games like it, but the old games that are good I think have to be appreciated for what they are.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxomatosii [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Post appreciated.

I think I would prefer for the server to loop. If it sits at Velious it WILL die. Because it's easy to say "people should just re roll", but if you look at an entire server population, eventually the majority of it will be high end, which will create the same problem there is in EQ > heavy high end, and almost no middle and bottom to group with.

But then again, maybe it's easier for me to say that because my main is 43. I'm sure it would be hard for someone with 3 or 4 capped raid geared chars to just let them vanish. But it would create a culture of legendary characters. It could almost be seen as generations of characters. Where this sever actually moves in time, and those all characters have passed away, making room for new characters. Would be cool if the Devs could code in some homage to high achieving characters on the server. Now i'm getting carried way haha

Cheers for the great post, I feel the same way!

Asher
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGrousis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I would prefer for the server to loop. If it sits at Velious it WILL die. Because it's easy to say "people should just re roll", but if you look at an entire server population, eventually the majority of it will be high end, which will create the same problem there is in EQ > heavy high end, and almost no middle and bottom to group with.

But then again, maybe it's easier for me to say that because my main is 43. I'm sure it would be hard for someone with 3 or 4 capped raid geared chars to just let them vanish. But it would create a culture of legendary characters. It could almost be seen as generations of characters. Where this sever actually moves in time, and those all characters have passed away, making room for new characters. Would be cool if the Devs could code in some homage to high achieving characters on the server. Now i'm getting carried way haha

I don't think this is really an issue because the server is already 4-5 years old and still popular. If 5 years were to pass with the server in this state, it wouldn't significantly change I don't think. People would play and reach max gear on their characters and then reroll and experience it again. There's no infinite carrot on a stick here that forces people to stay high end and not play low characters.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

Roth, great post. Glad to see someone else that feels the way I do. It's nice being able to come back to something that is stable and what we remember. I have had my breaks from P99 as well, been through a lot in my life since I have found out about this server.

I've made some great friends along the way!
Tander - 55th Half Elf Bard

The Mystical Order || See what I'm Selling/Buying || Nagrith's JBoots MQ Service
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Roth, great post. Glad to see someone else that feels the way I do. It's nice being able to come back to something that is stable and what we remember. I have had my breaks from P99 as well, been through a lot in my life since I have found out about this server.

I've made some great friends along the way!
^^This. It makes me happy to see positive posts from OP and others who appreciate that we even have the opportunity to play here. I might take breaks once in a while (like now) but I always love coming back for more. The nostalgia never fades and that's what makes this game great.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevGrousis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If it loops and wipes, I'd love that simply because it'll be nice for fresh starts every few years. But yes P99 feels like home.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Kobold

Well, once the server reaches its end, GM events are classic, player run events are classic. Been thinking about a couple of ways (if I ever get the time and get back to playing a lot again) to run pvp events. Here's a couple I came up with:

1) Low level pvp dueling for prizes. Final bouts would be in areas with lots of kos mobs, or like can't leave the hut at the dock in oasis. Just stuff to make it harder/more interesting.
2) A rampage across cities. Was thinking like a crusade for evils against the light race cities. Erudin, Kaladim, Kelethin, etc. Could be A LOT of fun.
3) Naked level 1 runs

I think once Velious is out and most of the patches have been done, we'll start to see more of that sort of thing.
Closed Thread