Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimacombe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I ground through 50 levels on a character I do not enjoy so I can have the economic foundation, not so someone can get over on me. Pay.
When I go to a bar, if I do not have enough for a beer and a dollar tip, I don't have enough for a beer.
To those mock altruists who think that druids and wizards should port for free, your argument of altruism and generosity is glaringly sabotaged by the evidence that you are tight-fisted with your own money. Pay.
If you don't feel you should pay, well... enjoy your boat ride [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Brimacombe
Not gonna get involved in the semantics of it all, but bloomin 'eck, are you crazy? The idea is to enjoy the game..
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Sarnak

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on the issue, most people are forgetting a crucial variable to the equation. And that is ...it's not real.
The 'services' provided are virtual, and the 'fee' or 'payment' is also virtual.

I could slightly understand if the debate was over whether to tip (for example) a waitress in a diner; even then some people don't - if she's getting paid a minimum wage (as some places do) then it's a moot point - she doesn't need it.

But that's real life, where such things actually matter.

The only tangible thing being lost here is time - in which people CHOSE to play the game (and experience all things there-in, including interacting with other people).

And considering most people on this server are AFK, sitting in EC tunnel or simply just being logged in because like MMO addicts they can't not be 'playing' the game, then it's all irrelevant.

If you want to make money, then just charge a fee..if you don't then be quiet about it.
Can you imagine a homeless man getting all butt hurt because he CHOSE to sit in a park and play his guitar, and people are standing around enjoying his music but NOT throwing money into his case? What's he going to do say 'hey you bums, what do you think this is, Woodstock?'
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

My rule is simple.

If you are wealthy enough to tip some pp but you don't or you are standing infront of me in all your twinked gear saying you have no money, I simply say that's fine... but I remember your name. Don't expect me to port you next time or even on a corpse run for free when you was an ass about donating before, dude even just tip me 8 gold I don't care it atleast shows you gave some thought.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Aviak

Druids stink. You should at least give them a few plat just so they can afford some soap...
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanzkopf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My rule is simple.

If you are wealthy enough to tip some pp but you don't or you are standing infront of me in all your twinked gear saying you have no money, I simply say that's fine... but I remember your name. Don't expect me to port you next time or even on a corpse run for free when you was an ass about donating before, dude even just tip me 8 gold I don't care it atleast shows you gave some thought.
Just put them on /ignore, and you will never again see them begging for a port.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimacombe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are people who will stuff their gear into their bags and come to me with a ghost story about how they need a port for a CR. Now... I inform them where the nearest bank is. I give rides for free to newbies after a short conversation where I discern whether or not they are newbies are going to where their main can twink them.
If someone stiffs me, they become part of my ignore list. They win a port, they lose the war.
Likewise is the "Port Buddy" who tries to make you his port bitch. Clerics, Wizards, and Druids all know what I am talking about here. I don't need frienemies, I like good friends. Yes, you are a girl IRL... no, I am not a desperate gamer. Pay.
I ask for my payment up front. "Gimme Munny". Direct, to the point, and a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. I have traded ports for clarity, spawning info, what have you. I am very generous with my buffs unless someone tries to push it. Porting is why I rolled a porting class. I ground through 50 levels on a character I do not enjoy so I can have the economic foundation, not so someone can get over on me. Pay.
When I go to a bar, if I do not have enough for a beer and a dollar tip, I don't have enough for a beer.
To those mock altruists who think that druids and wizards should port for free, your argument of altruism and generosity is glaringly sabotaged by the evidence that you are tight-fisted with your own money. Pay.
If you don't feel you should pay, well... enjoy your boat ride [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Brimacombe
Wow.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Orc

While I pay for my ports, I hate when porters say "porting for donations". It's not a donation if you're forcing somebody to pay for a port. It's a paid service.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

i always just offer 100pp for ports, seems to work just fine, except in the case of last night when i offered someone 100pp for a port but i needed them to pick someone up in wc, when we get to wc they say they dont have time to wait for my friend but that "50pp should cover their time" smh
Old 06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Kobold

The donation thing came from those renfest people. Many of them on the streets would not get a business liscence, so would get around it by doing it for "Donation". Naturally, every earth mother out there played a druid, so it became popular enough to stick.

-Brimacombe
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Funny thread.

Personally I've despised the "for donations" line since I fist saw it in 1999. Donations is what you ask for at a junior high school band concert. If you're porting for a fee than post your fee schedule. If your porting for tips, then say porting for tips. The word "donation" never did you any harm, why do you abuse it so? please stop. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm with the guy who never advertises that he's porting. When I'm on my Druid I never offer ports in the public channels, although I will sometimes respond to players who are ooc'ing for ports. When I get a tell asking for a port I never mention payment. Now, if somebody takes up 45 mins of my time and then gives me nothing or a tiny amount they go on the short list of those who I'll ignore later. But when somebody claims poverty for a quick port it's not worth the trouble of remembering them. The only time I ever accepted pp for a CR it involved about 25 mins of bouncing around with a Cleric giving him multiple 96% rezzes (if he cares that much about his time he can care about mine too, dammit.) And if some noob I met earlier in the day asks me to port him and a few friends to BBM I not only won't be expecting a tip I'll make sure somebody in the group can bind everybody or I'll take care of it myself.

@Glorindale: Scavrefamn's posting is pretty transparent really, unlike many who are accused of trolling on the board he actually is one, and much better at it than most. Oh, and while there are some similarities, "troll" is not spelled "tool".
Closed Thread