Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
where does one find more information on EQC?
I remember visiting EQC forums the day I got engaged. At that point, it had previously been PEQ and then became EQC sometime later. I believe it is running just shy on ~6 years now since they launched their vision. They have -two- devs who work when they can and they will not accept new devs even though they may be qualified *cough* *cough* to do so.

I really, really hope that it comes out one day. But there's a reason I don't visit that site anymore.

To answer your question, you should probably just google the phrase. Search engines, man.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

play the pvp server instead
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Aviak

The live servers definitely had more people on them than are currently playing. I think opening up another server would be a horrible idea.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Kobold

I'm rather enjoying how I can get pickup groups now, but it's not as good as it should be. Outside peak hours it becomes impossible in many zones. Take lake of ill omen. During peak hours you might have 2, maybe even 3 groups running there. That's not bad. However once you're past about 2am it will drop off to a couple of people soloing.

I guess that's not bad if you only play peak hours, but for those of us in different time zones it's pretty hopeless. I used to really enjoy it on live when there would basically be groups to join at any time of the day. If anything I think the population could do with a bit of an increase.

The idea of starting a new server for those who weren't here at the beginning is flawed. What happens after the server has been running a year or two? Start another one for the new new players? and so on.

I realize halving the population is nice for some things. Lets you camp things that are hard to camp now. I like the idea of not having to fight over camps too, but it hurts grouping too much.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladesch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm rather enjoying how I can get pickup groups now, but it's not as good as it should be. Outside peak hours it becomes impossible in many zones. Take lake of ill omen. During peak hours you might have 2, maybe even 3 groups running there. That's not bad. However once you're past about 2am it will drop off to a couple of people soloing.

I guess that's not bad if you only play peak hours, but for those of us in different time zones it's pretty hopeless. I used to really enjoy it on live when there would basically be groups to join at any time of the day. If anything I think the population could do with a bit of an increase.

The idea of starting a new server for those who weren't here at the beginning is flawed. What happens after the server has been running a year or two? Start another one for the new new players? and so on.

I realize halving the population is nice for some things. Lets you camp things that are hard to camp now. I like the idea of not having to fight over camps too, but it hurts grouping too much.
This.
We're all human and we naturally want to socialize and that's why we find soloing so kind numbingly boring and prefer to group.
Must dungeons seem to Die right after peak time ends (guks solb bf Kurns unrest just a few)

That being said. Fuck the pvp server. I love red99 but red99 is such trash now.its circling the drain. So lets just merger red into blue. Bam problem solved. +150-200 pop. Closer to live numbers. (Rp wise were avg now.. Fv was always empty) we all want to group and the Aussies/Asians/euros who aren't the majority of North Americans and play during our down time can actually enjoy the server more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Last edited by Kevynne; 02-12-2013 at 03:04 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Aviak

Another thing about Vanilla-- if overcrowding is your problem, then just wait until the entire server is packed into lguk and solB. (With a few brave souls slugging it out in KK). That rose-colored shine will wear off quick.

When Kunark was introduced one of its goals was to solve overcrowding, and it did that as well as any expansion could. There are new dungeons for every level, outdoor zones for every level, everything. Bunch of new raid mobs. Arguably not enough raid mobs.

Velious solves that nicely, with an expansion that's about 50% raid mobs. Sure, the top tiers will have them on lockdown in no time, because hookers and blow can only quell the urges for so long until you start stuffing the basement freezer with hitchhikers. But still. It's as good as it gets.

If they do start some meta progression server, I hope the two servers get merged at the end. Because really, it's a miracle that this many people are here. Come on. This is like starting an original Nintendo fan club and having 1,000 people show up to be Player 2 every night.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Sarnak

I used to play, then didn't play for like two years. I check the forum every six months or so just to have a look, but what keeps me from playing again is the fact that there's just no way to catch up now and the endgame is completely monopolized. I don't know if splitting the server in two would actually do more good than bad, but it would absolutely get someone like me to come back. A new server, a reset button, a way to be there from the start again. I'd play that, not the current P99 where you're absolutely nobody if you weren't there all along. Maybe opening a secondary classic server that emulates the live timeline, just so there aren't two identical servers competing for the exact same players. If the secondary server is always an expansion behind, it seems like it would cause less conflict.

What I would really love is a secondary server with legal multiboxing. P99 has always been borderline unplayable for non-Americans because the population is way, way below critical mass during off-peak hours. I really miss boxing, it was always an enjoyable experience. I fully see why it isn't wanted on P99, but maybe a boxing server would not only provide a secondary option but also lessen the prevalence of people with dishonest IP exemptions on P99. EQ is a really primitive game and boxing makes it complex enough to approach the skill requirments of more modern games that people have become used to. I love EQ's content but I almost fall asleep playing it because the gameplay with one character is so basic and passive.

PS: red99 was a failure not because there weren't enough people for two servers but because it was infested from the start with the most intolerable people on the internet and because the devs completely ignored it. They launched it and promptly abandoned it. Also because they were experimenting with some fucked up resist system and class balance was even worse than it was on live. What it did prove was that there were plenty of people willing to play a fresh server, but that server turned out to be broken and not worth anybody's time.
Last edited by Noselacri; 02-12-2013 at 05:29 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I neither support nor oppose this request offhand, I'll point out that typical concurrent server populations during the classic era were often in the 2000-2500 range. The crowded servers flirted with 3000; remember that the Sony server select screen displayed populations back then. The PvP servers tended to be a little lower, usually in the 1500 range. P1999 at its highest is still uncrowded by classic standards.Danth
This server has always been much more top-heavy than live servers. There might have been twice as many players on a typical server back then, but 80% of them were dicking around at level 40 seeing the sights and socializing. On P99, everyone is trying to be Furor.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Large Bat

Another progression blue server. Cannnot ask for this enough.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Faceplant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious solves that nicely, with an expansion that's about 50% raid mobs. Sure, the top tiers will have them on lockdown in no time, because hookers and blow can only quell the urges for so long until you start stuffing the basement freezer with hitchhikers.
The real question is, why would you want a freezer in Velious!

On a more serious note, even though the previous comment of Noselacri pushes it way too far saying you're nobody on p99 if you missed the start (I came in years too late and I don't share that feeling, happy with my guild and stuff), I think a new server with a fresh start would be cool, even if identical to current blue in terms of rules & expansion progression.

Ah and also, NO NO NO NO to two boxing, and I'm not on american timezone x)