Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Kobold

Default Another Perspective

Quote:
9. You may not use any third party software to modify the Software to change Game play. You may not create, facilitate, host, link to or provide any other means through which the Game may be played by others, such as through server emulators. You may not take any action which imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. You may not buy, sell or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell or auction) any Game characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.
Above is quoted from Everquest's End User License Agreement. With all the drama relating about bans and cheating, I wanted to offer a another perspective and play Devil's Advocate.

1. We are all cheating. We are cheating Sony out of their rights to control their own intellectual property, created through years of R&D and most likely millions of dollars spent. With Uthgaard's (and others) seemingly ultra-conservative "Law & Order" stance toward cheating, they should take a good look at themselves before getting up on the soap box about using ShowEQ and other third party programs.

2. "Players need to use their common sense here and not do unethical things for personal gain." This is quoted directly from the "Server Rules" thread here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057.
Once again, I'd like to point out that we are all doing an "unethical thing" by violating Sony's EULA for Everquest. We are stealing Sony's intellectual property for the personal gain of playing for free and getting the classic EQ experience. Hypocrisy strike #2.

3. "DO NOT post copyrighted materials, links to get copyrighted materials, or discuss illegal methods to obtain copyrighted materials." Once again, quoted from the Server Rules. We are all violating this rule just by playing P1999! Where is the "ban the cheaters crowd for violating the server rules?" This whole server, and game, is a copyrighted material and we are using this message board to discuss methods to illegally obtain copyrighted materials (from downloading the version of this game required to play to the actual hosting of this illegal Everquest server).

In conclusion, the ultra-conservative stance of "ban the cheaters" is parallel to (I said "parallel to", not "equal to") the "Law & Order" political right's stance of "hang 'em all." Now, I'd be absolutely thrilled if P1999's player base was generally Republican/Conservative, but I have a feeling that the majority of P1999's player base is Democrat/liberal. "Hang 'em all" has never been a philosophy subscribed to by rational, free thinking people.

In the end, the Admins of this server have every right to ban anyone they want, for any reason they decide. The Supreme Court case involving the Boy Scouts and their policy of of discrimination against gays reinforced a citizen's Constitutional (and God given) right to control their property (and in this case, the P1999 server's access).

However, I think that those who subscribe to a "ban them all" mentality need to take a good look at themselves before they post photo shopped images supporting a 'ban them all' policy. They need to take a good, honest, look at their own hypocrisy when it comes to unethical behavior and infringing upon Sony's right to not be *cheated* out of their right to profit from their own creative work...before they post flames/rants/really lame photo shopped images.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to Dravingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthayner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[I]2. "Players need to use their common sense here and not do unethical things for personal gain."
Tell that to SoE who has fucking micro transactions stacked on top of a pay to play server. Talk about unethical.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Sarnak

1. We are all cheating. We are cheating Sony out of their rights to control their own intellectual property, created through years of R&D and most likely millions of dollars spent.

Stopped reading there. It's their sandbox, they can do whatever the flip they want. Obey the rules or stop playing/leave, simple as that. There's no way to justify SEQ/MQ2 usage on this server - don't know if you were trying to do so (see above).
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravingar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tell that to SoE who has fucking micro transactions stacked on top of a pay to play server. Talk about unethical.
Micro transactions?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. We are all cheating. We are cheating Sony out of their rights to control their own intellectual property, created through years of R&D and most likely millions of dollars spent.

Stopped reading there. It's their sandbox, they can do whatever the flip they want. Obey the rules or stop playing/leave, simple as that. There's no way to justify SEQ/MQ2 usage on this server - don't know if you were trying to do so (see above).
Wrong. You should finish reading before you comment. Saying "Stopped reading right there" and then saying what you said kinda makes you look like...well...a moronic simp who can't stand to hear a different perspective.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
#1 pal of the year
King Smedy
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Wash that down with a milk steak big Salty and this whole issue can be left behind us.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Kobold

Don't you think that the server would have been shut down years ago if it were truly against the EULA? Don't you think Sony has the time and money to pursue a suit against someone supposedly "cheating" them out of 20,000 potential accounts? Don't you think Sony would be trying to hire these guys to develop a "classic feel" server if they thought it would be profitable? Your OP flies directly in the face of reality.

P.S.
Also, if you want pure pristine non-cheating servers, I suggest you all go play on live.

(For the sarcastically challenged)

THIS
IS
SARCASM!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to Dravingar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthayner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Micro transactions?
You pay for small perks in the game, you can pay for name changes, sex changes, exp potions, cosmetic items, familiars and other shit. It's awful.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't you think that the server would have been shut down years ago if it were truly against the EULA? Don't you think Sony has the time and money to pursue a suit against someone supposedly "cheating" them out of 20,000 potential accounts? Don't you think Sony would be trying to hire these guys to develop a "classic feel" server if they thought it would be profitable? Your OP flies directly in the face of reality.

P.S.
Also, if you want pure pristine non-cheating servers, I suggest you all go play on live.

(For the sarcastically challenged)

THIS
IS
SARCASM!
/Sarcasm

"Because no one is stopping me, that makes it right!"

"Because no one is getting hurt, that makes it right!"

/end Sarcasm

Doesn't make us right, here at P1999. Just makes a whole lot of us wrong. I'm perfectly cool with that. But most importantly I'm not going around, acting all high and mighty, loudly proclaiming from a soap box we should ban all the cheaters with no mercy. I would appreciate it if you could make some coherent arguments that address the core of the matter, rather than simply trying to justify your actions.

When people post a litany of excuses in response to someone questioning their integrity, they're usually just trying to assuage a guilty conscience.
Closed Thread