Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Rogues are the best dps over time on this server, with the exception of enchanter charmed pets (which can be fairly dangerous). Whatever twat said monks out dps rogues is invited to run a parser with me any fucking time.
If that's the case, the mechanics are not working as intended here. Rogues were not universally top DPS until Kunark, and until you got amazing weapons, they weren't even that great pre-Kunark. You DPS like a warrior -crit +backstab; monk fists end up 14/30 at 50, their dual wield caps higher, and flying kick is barely behind backstab until 12+ dmg piercers. Magician pets match rogues in auto-attack, necro pets might also, and then you add the spells cast by the owner. Level 60 and 15dmg piercers is where rogues start to come into their own. If your parsers show something else, it's the emulator being generous to rogues.

And whatever twat recommends using a 9/31 weapon over an 8/23 is invited to run a parser and learn some basic combat facts. Backstab is a small portion of rogue DPS until epic and double backstab.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Orc

@azeth and Ridic - Thanks! It looks like I got some bad advice. I was told that even though the harpoon had 9 DMG (with 31 Delay), using my 8 DMG (with 27 Delay) weapon in my main hand would be a better choice because the main hand attacks much more frequently than the offhand; therefore, with the lower delay time, I would get more stabs in over the course of a fight and more damage over the long run because of the shorter delay. I guess that person was wrong.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You DPS like a warrior -crit +backstab;
Crit dmg isn't anywhere near as much dmg as Backstab, and happens maybe.. 1/3 as much? Yea, that's a really bad example - lol. I land a BS 3-4 times a fight, I critted maybe once? a fight, with my warrior - 2-3 if I was lucky or berserking.

Mainly because, as a warrior - even twinked, you have to devote everything to either 1) Holding Aggro or 2) Surviving. As a rogue you focus on one thing... DAMAGE. So, your str is maxed - and you will always out damage a warrior
Last edited by Ridic; 09-25-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Sarnak

One thing to keep in mind is that in classic rogues get +10 piercing skill so it is best to use a Piercer in you MH and OH when ever possible.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Planar Protector

herp derp
..for some reason I remembered poon as a 10 damage piercer - been a while here guys!
Ummm.
Maybe the psd is better than a poon in mainhand, but I would test it before I'd bet on it. FYI Noselacri, on p99, the crystalline spear (13/30) out dps's skull fanged stiletto (12/22) by far (according to parse), and that is a similar ratio downgrade per damage stat increase. ..before you go calling me a twat sir, I invite you to run a parser and learn some basic fucking combat mechanics as they apply to p99. Bitch.

In general on p99: sacrifice ratio in mainhand for a higher damage stat, and ratio is king in offhand. There is no rule about needing a low-delay or high delay weapon in either hand outside of generally wanting a better ratio, especially in the offhand.

@Nox I do not believe that delay affects rate of backstab, although I haven't tested this. However, I do believe that haste does affect rate of backstab, and would be interested in seeing some data to corroborate or disprove this hypothesis.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 AM
Fire Giant

I definitely remember haste affecting combat abilities for as long as I can remember, not sure if thats here also since I havn't gotten my melee alts to a point where I'm getting hasted in groups [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Trimm

Just adding my opinion on a few things and how they work on P99, as I never played a rogue on live:

I used a Burning Rapier on my offhand for probably three months and never found it to pull any sort of extra aggro due to the proc. I assume it does somewhat, but it was never enough to be noticed. That includes using it in Fear/Hate/Sky where aggro is a big deal.

I've always been of the school that top damage in main hand and best ratio in offhand does a good rogue make. The best combo in the game for a rogue is the Efreeti Warspear/Bone Razor.

Backstab refresh is 8 seconds. With Swift Like the Wind it is significantly lower.

Just my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Has anyone nabbed a war spear yet trimm?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Aviak

Im a ranger, and I out dps most rogues, jus sayin =P ......but i have to have a fuckin dog do most of the damage =(
Old 09-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Aviak

o hasbinbad, by "war spear" do you mean that efreeti war spear? if so yes, if not then i totally misread the question to trimm hehe
Closed Thread