Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqgmrdbz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im a little late to the party, almost 47 wood elf ranger here, You have 4k for twinking nice, get ac/str/hp gear. I put all my points into Dex, dex gear is hard to come by, but str gear is all over the place. Dex also plays a big part if you want to solo at higher levels with the Swarmcaller. I did not bow kite, i used my bow as a dot, I would root dot then use my bow, i did this until 46 when i switched to using my Swarmy, and switching of to better weps.

Right now if you want me to give you a measure, I can kill 3 dark blue con Hill giants before i have to med. HG's have ton of hp's, so i can take out 4 or 5 DB con mobs with less hp's. I am using an FBss, but would really like to upgarde to a RBB.

Starting off, i would deffinetly go with the swiftblade, then upgrade to Woodman's staff, it seems that the Woodsman is the best wep to have, if you dont want to be reposted to death. Str or Dex is a tough choice, Str suppsedly makes you hit harder, but you do need that Swarmy to proc if you want to solo at higher levels. Anyways, i should of been 55 by now, but i have been missing too much playing time, and i also messed around with my other toons.

Rangers are not as bad as people say they are [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the tips. And I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about only being 47. I started playing here October of last year and still only have a level 32 magician. My playtime is extremely limited which is why I want to be able to solo.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Orc

Being that this is EQ I would recommend joining groups and not worrying about what you can solo. You can fill in the tank roll well into your 40's. Use Flame Lick for instant aggro. A woodsman's staff will cost you about 7k. Better to stick with your silver swiftblade until the rest of your gear is decent.
I wouldn't recommend a Ranger if your goal is to solo.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being that this is EQ I would recommend joining groups and not worrying about what you can solo. You can fill in the tank roll well into your 40's. Use Flame Lick for instant aggro. A woodsman's staff will cost you about 7k. Better to stick with your silver swiftblade until the rest of your gear is decent.
I wouldn't recommend a Ranger if your goal is to solo.
Well that isn't my goal, I would prefer to group. It's just with 3 kids, half the time that I do find a group, after about 30 minutes I have to bail because my daughter wakes in the middle of the night or something and then I feel like an asshole to the group. I just want the "option" to solo and I want something other than a caster. I love my mage and enchanter but I'm interested in playing a melee. I had a Paladin and Warrior on live back in 00'-01' (35th, 55th levels) so I know about sitting in groups for hours, but I just don't have that time anymore. Anyways, I don't want to go warrior or rogue because they are so group dependent unless you have a fungi which I obviously can't afford, and I have already played a paladin on live, hence my interest in a Ranger.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Banned

Snare mob -> spam flame lick and shoot arrows to keep agro while kiting

Have an epic rogue or enchanter with quadding pet maul shit

Bonus points if you can find a rogue or monk npc for the enchanter to charm
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Was killing this guy(( http://wiki.project1999.com/Axe_Broadsmith )) with a 19 ranger.

Some faction hits but you can keep the Hadden camper company in between spawns =D
Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Kobold

Woops i am not a wood elf ranger, i am a Half Elf ranger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly, it sounds like a SK might fit your play style a little better. From 15 on you can fear kite when you can't dedicate yourself enough for a group, and from 30 on you can FD whenever you need to step away and handle something without fear of random agro, not to mention saving you when things go bad so that you have less CRs eating up your playtime.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, it sounds like a SK might fit your play style a little better. From 15 on you can fear kite when you can't dedicate yourself enough for a group, and from 30 on you can FD whenever you need to step away and handle something without fear of random agro, not to mention saving you when things go bad so that you have less CRs eating up your playtime.

That doesnt sound like a bad idea, especially when you need to step away. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Kobold

Or even a monk? Higher DPS and more desirable in groups than an SK generally, also with good solo ability and the ability to feign.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make your ranger on Red. He'll steamroll people and get groups because of low pop.
I couldn't agree with this statement more, since it seems you play on both servers.
You will find a lot of ranger hate on blue from the min-maxers. You will be welcomed
into groups on red.

Some gear suggestions (some already mentioned):
+55hp rings
Hero Bracer
Sword of Skyfire
Green Jade Broadsword (i prefer a DW-ing ranger myself)
Hooded Black Cloak

Rangers are great pullers, can tank in a pinch, and do some solid
crowd control with root/snare/flamelick.

Good luck!
Closed Thread