Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Default Warrior weapons and aggro in a group - what do you use?

In a group setting 50+ lvl do most warriors use 1h proccing weapons to hold aggro, 2h weapons with procs, or high damage/great ratio weapons?

So far in groups I found that my 2h exquisite velium claidhmore holds aggro really well, ever since 24 level or so in fact. Will this weapon continue to be so effective at holding aggro once I am level 50+ or would I need an even better 2h weapon like a Reaver to hold aggro? Or will 2h weapons without procs stop being effective at gaining threat at 50+?

Do warriors use a Truncheon of Doom for aggro purposes, or is it solely used just to slow for moments when slows are needed on a mob? I know slows generate tons of aggro when shamans and chanters slow mobs so I assume this weapon would pull tons of aggro.

What about a Runed Blade? I was thinking maybe this would be a nice 2h weapon for aggro, perhaps even better than most because the rune would even draw aggro on pulls where multiple mobs are pulled.

As for 1h weapons, are Infestation and Frostbringer still considered a couple of the top aggro weapons, or are there other, better, accessible aggro weapons available?

I found an old post with a list of weapons in order of best to worst for aggro, but some were not listed that I have asked about here, and then others were listed that I didn't think were known for holding aggro. Like Blood Points were listed, and I was under the impression they were not that great for threat generation.

Any info on the weapons I mentioned, or new weapons brought up for discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 AM
Planar Protector

reaver sucks in places with undead.
2handers are poor in both dps and aggro compared to decent 1hand proccing weps... at least until they get the buff that may or may not be coming on this server. (i know there was a 2h patch around this era but this server isnt exactly following patches that closely so idk)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Fire Giant

As a warrior you want to do as much damage as possible without having aggro issues. Carrying multiple weapons is the way to go.

Frostbringer is not the best aggro, but it's cheap and has a good ratio. It's popular because of that.

Blood points are ok for soloing and they're not horrible dps. They're also cheap and popular.

Infestation is great aggro... but hard to get.

Having a weapon for every occasion is a good idea. Some groups you won't have the best makeup. Some groups you will. You need to adapt to the current situation if you want to be good.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Aviak

I use an Infestation and WESS, and have found that the threat generation is superior than Frostbringer and WESS. I would say use the latter until you can get an Infestation or Dragon/Big Giant Nameds weapons.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Planar Protector

I use infestation and a trochilic's skean on Jimjam.

Off hand not amazeballs dps to begin with, so having a long duration stun proc for pleb content is pretty handy. That's my thinking anyway.

I've been looking for runed blades for ages (hunting in kc on blue and just for general sale on red), and they just seem ridiculously rare. Probably similar drop rate to T staff, but with less chances to pop and phers that are much more rare to be pulled.

Something vaguely similar is the Vehement Sword of Reivaj. Note str/rune procs don't seem to accumulate the same aggro as straight runes. As such, it's not really a group weapon. It's ratio is a hit to DPS too, however, it will let you more or less chain kill some mobs with no downtime, especially if you add in other ways to recoup hp.

At 51 you can kill the lower con sonic bats without disc and use evasive for the higher level ones. There will be a good proportion of greens by 54 and it takes circa 400 sonic bat kills for a warrior to complete that level solo. Take that as a warning against soloing, I guess?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been looking for runed blades for ages (hunting in kc on blue and just for general sale on red), and they just seem ridiculously rare. Probably similar drop rate to T staff, but with less chances to pop and phers that are much more rare to be pulled.

At 51 you can kill the lower con sonic bats without disc and use evasive for the higher level ones. There will be a good proportion of greens by 54 and it takes circa 400 sonic bat kills for a warrior to complete that level solo. Take that as a warning against soloing, I guess?
I was wondering this about Runed Blade, if it would not only be good for aggro, but if soloing with it, would it benefit the warr much having that rune, say with regen on too? Maybe in a group it could alleviate some of the healing too, if it procs enough?

I have been using Frostbringer and an Infestation, switcihng them back and forth trying to sort out which should be pri and which should be secondary honestly I don't notice a difference in proc amount either way both seem to proc a lot even without dex buffs. They also hold aggro great, was with a shaman and had zero trouble holding aggro with him slowing or meleeing at times.

Which should I mainhand, the Infest or the Frostbringer?

I realize these are great weaps for aggro, but weapons like the Runed Blade and others could be alternatives which is why I asked about it too. I would like to use 2h weaps occasionally and be able to switch out aggro weaps when bored with Frostbringer or Infestation. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I will look up the Skean I don't even know how to get that atm. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use an Infestation and WESS, and have found that the threat generation is superior than Frostbringer and WESS. I would say use the latter until you can get an Infestation or Dragon/Big Giant Nameds weapons.
I really find the WESS annoying, the sound it makes, I never cared for whip weaps. I also used it in primary hand and forgot earlier, and when pulling ended up training mobs thanks to it blinding the mob I pulled with it haha. I realize how awesome of aggro it is, I just really hate this weapon. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which should I mainhand, the Infest or the Frostbringer?
Infestation main. Offhand Frostbringer on pulls, then swap to WESS.

Trochilic Skean has a chance to drop off Renux in Steamfont, for rogue epic.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Kobold

I use the WESS and Frostbringer. If I had Infestation, I'd go Infestation + WESS, though as RDawg said, be careful with WESS on pulls.

I understand the concerns with the WESS - get one and use it. Having used it for like 10-15 levels and seen the price go up, get another one.

The main thing with WESS you need to be aware of are circumstances where you're using ghetto CC like root. THe dilemma then is that if you switch targets after a proc goes off, you're in trouble. Otherwise, I haven't seen many problems. Being out of melee range causes the mob to flee and will cause a train, but as long as you're not using it with poor CC, you're good.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanderheide [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I use the WESS and Frostbringer. If I had Infestation, I'd go Infestation + WESS, though as RDawg said, be careful with WESS on pulls.

I understand the concerns with the WESS - get one and use it. Having used it for like 10-15 levels and seen the price go up, get another one.

The main thing with WESS you need to be aware of are circumstances where you're using ghetto CC like root. THe dilemma then is that if you switch targets after a proc goes off, you're in trouble. Otherwise, I haven't seen many problems. Being out of melee range causes the mob to flee and will cause a train, but as long as you're not using it with poor CC, you're good.
I will consider it. If I find I have trouble holding aggro with Infestation and Frostbringer I will get a wess. That sound though, and the whip gimps my fashionquest.

I am going to test out a Runed Blade I managed to find in EC too, will share results when I get to 46 level and it procs.

Thanks Rdawg, I didn't know Renux dropped the Skean. Will read on it.
Closed Thread