Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly 2h aren't really worth it. Get urself a good shield and 1hs
Knights use two-handers because casting does not affect swing timers. They can turn on auto-attack, get a big hit, immediately start casting, and then swing again as soon as the casting is finished. Shields become even less significant to knights if they're using epic (so that they can bash with 2H) or are a large race with slam. Shields are good for tanking Velious/raid mobs where the extra AC helps when the mob has higher ATK or is higher level than you, but to most players, shields won't really make much of a difference in EXP groups.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Kobold

Thanks guys. Makes me feel a lot better about my purchases. I really did spend a lot of time in EC researching to make sure I did not end up with "another Vindication". As for 1H vs 2H... I've been 1H with a shield for 52 levels so, if anything, I am looking for a change of pace. I typically solo/fear-kite or tank in a group. Both of which are fine for a 2H situation, and if I need to interrupt a caster I will bust out the 1H and shield and bash away.

I did see the previous 2H thread from last week, but it was talking about end-game stuff (post Epic) and that's way out of my league at this point.

Anyway, cheers and thanks for your feedback!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

I main a 60 Paladin and my opinion is 2H weapons are ridiculously gimped right now and I recommend you ignore them. What you want is a 1:1 ratio 1H weapon and a high-AC shield. Shields are very significant to Knight classes. Look up how Shield AC works: The AC they provide is not penalized and goes above the softcap, unlike any other item slot in the entire game. Equipping a high-ac shield like the Sevalak one or NToV one you will notice an insane boost in worn AC.

As far as 2H weapons, sadly, they are way less effective when fighting high-AC mobs like the ones in velious. I don't even mean named targets, the average 2H damage and maximum damage are ridiculously low when fighting Kael trash. When fighting classic or kunark-era mobs, I parsed my 2H damage to be about 3dps higher than my 1H but the damage was ridiculously inconsistent. About the only time using a 2H gives a huge advantage is farming green mobs. Maybe that will change when the 2H upgrade is patched.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I main a 60 Paladin and my opinion is 2H weapons are ridiculously gimped right now and I recommend you ignore them. What you want is a 1:1 ratio 1H weapon and a high-AC shield. Shields are very significant to Knight classes. Look up how Shield AC works: The AC they provide is not penalized and goes above the softcap, unlike any other item slot in the entire game. Equipping a high-ac shield like the Sevalak one or NToV one you will notice an insane boost in worn AC.

As far as 2H weapons, sadly, they are way less effective when fighting high-AC mobs like the ones in velious. I don't even mean named targets, the average 2H damage and maximum damage are ridiculously low when fighting Kael trash. When fighting classic or kunark-era mobs, I parsed my 2H damage to be about 3dps higher than my 1H but the damage was ridiculously inconsistent. About the only time using a 2H gives a huge advantage is farming green mobs. Maybe that will change when the 2H upgrade is patched.
Pretty much this.

I had every ntov weapon worth mentioning but vuulak axe and best combo was 1hander+Shield of the Protector.

Till 2hander bonus + warrior melee table bump 2handers are shat on knights

Edit: only when you have a nice 1hander tho.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Kobold

Currently have a Noct Blade (gifted by a complete stranger) and an Atramentous Shield (looted off Lord Rak'Ashir himself, not purchased! sorry it's important to me :P )

I DO definitely notice the loss of stats overall, HP/mana, AC, etc. without the shield equipped, but let me enjoy my big numbers for a few days before I come to this realization on my own lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Also, I believe what the others are saying about fear kiting is legit.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

/Laugh at the soft bragging going on. North Temple Veeshan weapons have zero relevance in a thread about things a guy can buy in East Commons for a low 50's character.

-----------------------------------

Original poster: The weapons you have are good for the low-end value range. Once you're willing to spend a few thousand you can look for items with ratios like 25/30 or 30/35. As a rule maximizing your damage will involve a bit of juggling between upgrading haste and upgrading weapons. Most lower-end Shadow Knights tend to wind up using a Sword of Pain as a tank weapon paired with some sort of higher-ratio 2H for damage while they wait to try to get a Darkmetal Falchion or something similar. The relatively high cost of the better droppable 2H weapons is offset by the ability to re-sell them once finished....it's more akin to a deposit on a rental.

Danth
Old 05-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineubis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wondering if you know of any other comparable two-handers I should be looking at or if these are pretty much good for the < a few K range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What you want is a 1:1 ratio 1H weapon and a high-AC shield. Equipping a high-ac shield like the Sevalak one or NToV one you will notice an insane boost in worn AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastagoog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had every ntov weapon worth mentioning but vuulak axe and best combo was 1hander+Shield of the Protector.
Give the OP and the rest of us casual scum a 1:1 weapon / 55 AC shield and we'll agree with you.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

What Ntov? You can literally get a 27/29 1H weapon, Darkmetal Falchion, from 2nd floor trash mobs in Plane of Hate.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What Ntov? You can literally get a 27/29 1H weapon, Darkmetal Falchion, from 2nd floor trash mobs in Plane of Hate.
If you're willing to devote numerous +4 hour sessions in Hate, sure, but that's stretching the definition of "casual" imo. Having seen three earth staffs drop along with every other hybrid 1h weapon up there, and no DM Falchion to show for it, "literally" just doesn't have the same ring to it as it once did. Maybe that's just really shit luck but still, it's nowhere near as common as the sword from Velks. And those 2nd floor mobs might be considered trash, but clearing them is still a pita.

Guy just wants a decent 2her without breaking the bank or burning out to the unfairness of RNG. Something like a Carved Dragonbone Spear is more realistic until he's 60 and contemplating batphone.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Banned

Well if you dont got time to raid ntov. Then, as a sk or paladin you want to join as many plane of hate raids till you get a Darkmetal Fachion.

Lord Vynemm drops the highest 1 hander at 29-27

Then there is the Massive dragonshard at 28-30

Then there is the Darkmetal Fachion at 27-29

So literally it is the 3rd highest (not ratio) damage 1hander in the game for sk/pals that drops in a zone that lots of casual guilds would raid.

If not then your best bet is to hit up velks for the 19-24 weapon that probably rots alot.

Re shields:

Void of the Infinite Orb obv your best staright up ac shield you can buy (but its expensive).

Or

https://wiki.project1999.com/Atramentous_Shield

You really arent going to get better ubless you raid VP (pd's shield) or NToV. Simple as that.

As far as your 2handers are concerned:

A reaver is 40-40 ratio and outside of a tantors tusk is the best 2 hander you can buy. The Oggok cleaver is great aslong as you have minimum 31% haste....i personally would hunt for one of those 30-37 2handers till you're rich enough to get a reaver or raid/get epic.

A sk's epic is by far the best 2hander in the game..and you would ONLY EVER consider replacing it if you got vuulak axe or tunare 2hs.
Last edited by Beastagoog; 05-17-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Closed Thread