Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Aviak

Default Want your opinion on ENC charm solo tactics

Long time lurker, first time questioner =) What is the general opinion for Enchanter charm soloing... is it "better" to:

1) Take 2 mobs, let them attack each other till ~15%, break charm and nuke each for full xp....

2) Charm a mob, buff, equip it.... pull mobs and slow the mobs. Giving the mob a torch. repeat till dead (breaking charm or memblur heal)

I'm curious on what people think about each strategy and which they like. I'm not defining "better" because im hoping to get what your opinion is on the topic.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:01 AM
Fire Giant

Everybody will tell you roughly the same. Number one is the most efficient, less risky, and overall easiest.
Reasons : if your hasted weaponized pet happens to break charm, you will most likely die fast. Some will argue you can still keep your beast of a pet rooted, and mem blur / mez it for heal, but in my opinion, sharing XP with your pet is a bad idea.
To keep things simple stick with number one, even if it doesent sound very fun / and or boring.
Option number 3 (Im gonna get flamed for this) 55 pet with good cheap weap, haste, and slow / dot on your target, rune pet for heal. But... it doesnt work so well... not very efficient... relaxing maybe...
Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 AM
Sarnak

sounds about right, u could put it into three rough categories

1 Slow mobs and keep your hasted pet alive with boon, lifetap weapons, and runes.

2 Have two equal mobs kill each other, then nuke both

3 Charm weak mob against harder mob. nuke pet when low, charm wounded harder mob. nuke when low. Rinse and repeat cycling or staggering the mobs hp, always hasting, never slowing so mobs die faster. always killing pet first for max xp. method requires more mana
Old 03-25-2017, 10:33 AM
Sarnak

Reverse charming is fun and efficient once you have the mana pool to do it.

Charm one mob. Send it at 2-4 other mobs. Long-duration root the other mobs while engaged with your pet (possibly with help of aoe mez). Break charm when pet is almost dead and nuke for full xp. Charm another in the pack and do the same thing. Repeat until they're all dead.

Way faster than the 2 at a time strategy.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Planar Protector

Find a duo partner. EXP will no longer be split with your pet.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Kobold

From 12 to 45 or so, option #1 works best. Lower level mobs just don't have the depth of HP to last very many fights.

After 45, due to the scaling of mob HP and damage, #2 becomes more competitive. However it remains risky because having a hasted, dual wielding beast break charm and come straight at you is bad news bears. The better strategy is to charm something, haste and weapon it, then intentionally break charm to keep it rooted/blurred and charm other targets to send against the "super mob." When they get low, break their charm and kill them, then blur the super mob and repeat. This strategy is what I learned to call "reverse charming."

After 51 (54?) when you have access to the best mana regen, #2 or the method described by Emmin above (using a charmed mob to gather several others, then the rooted pack kills itself one at a time) can become superior. This is, again, due to the nature of NPC dps/health scaling. When you're 55+ having 1 charmed mob fight 1 enemy mob down to 10% takes waaaaaay longer per fight than it did at level 30.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Aviak

I really appreciate the replies! I find duo-ing very rewarding too. Had the chance to duo with a cleric at lvl 40 (im 42 now) in CoM Stables and kept the side pretty steady... even having some downtime when all mobs were cleared. Very fun.

Im going to continue to build up my master this concept! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Fire Giant

Generally, for all pet users (charmed or not), duoing is the easiest way to make xp (what samoth said basically). Plus, it's usually much more fun.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

You don't even have to be contributing to the same mob. Just be in the same zone in the same general vicinity. Take two mages pet killing in Crushbone as an example. The pets won't eat the EXP if they are grouped, so it becomes just as fast to group together, even if they're halfway across the zone from each other.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by workbench [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Long time lurker, first time questioner =) What is the general opinion for Enchanter charm soloing... is it "better" to:

1) Take 2 mobs, let them attack each other till ~15%, break charm and nuke each for full xp....

2) Charm a mob, buff, equip it.... pull mobs and slow the mobs. Giving the mob a torch. repeat till dead (breaking charm or memblur heal)

I'm curious on what people think about each strategy and which they like. I'm not defining "better" because im hoping to get what your opinion is on the topic.

Thanks!
Option 1 is the simpler, safer way, especially at lower levels. Once you're maybe 40+ though and/or twinked, pulling more than 2 at a time can be faster XP because more mobs means more DPS, which means stuff gets knocked down to a 3% life faster so you can finish it off with a nuke. It's just riskier if you get bad luck with charm breaks or root breaks, or if you aggro any casters, or if you don't have the gear to handle a drawn-out fight and you end up oom or whatever.

If you watch my videos, you'll see me killing 2-3 at a time mostly at lower levels, but then able to handle 5+ mobs at once (not easily, but without dying!) at 50+.

Re: duos... yeah... for some people they are easier and more fun. Personally I almost always preferred to solo because of the convenience. No need to wait on someone else, no need to find someone you like to play with and vice versa, no need to feel bad when you afk or log out on a moment's notice leaving your partner to fend for himself, etc.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-31-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Closed Thread