Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

Arrow P99 Laptop for late 16/17

Hey guys, so I have a really good desktop at home which I play mostly p99 with but I travel on the weekends and take care of my family. I recently bought a Lenovo 710 YOGA which has the 7th gen core i5 and an Nvidia 940MX with a 256 SSD and Full HD display. That laptop is great because it is lightweight (around 4lbs and 0.7" thick) and runs p99 very well but seems to throttle around 40-50FPS when in Freeport and around 30 FPS when in EC tunnel... My thought is, if I want to raid on the weekends in ToV or HoT, if I am getting 30fps in EC tunnel, it would feel super slow when in tight proximity

Now I know before you TLDR this, my question is a little different;

Does p99 with the titanium client utilize more of the CPU or the GPU as we run it today? On my beast pc at home with a GTX 1080- and 4790k @ 4ghz, I still only get around 90FPS even with the in-game options adjusted to max FPS with the slider...For reference Doom 2016 gets 80+ FPS on ultra settings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What I am wondering is if I should return this Lenovo and get either the Core i7 version but keep the 940mx or just find another laptop that can run p99/phinny/new prog server coming out in summer to keep the fps above 60. Seems to be the late 2016 models are starting to come with the new 10 series GPU's.

Budget is not really a problem (Have 2.5k to spend on something that will last for other games as well) but I don't want a full gaming laptop that is heavy because for that I can just play at home on my desktop on the weekday's. I am talking about an on-the go laptop that would be feasible for 60 fps on titanium even when in EC tunnel that weighs around 4-5 lbs.

Any recommendations or thoughts on how I should shop around for my needs? What is everyone else using that works great for them on p99?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

My experiences have been that titanium was CPU bound. EQ likes 1 core that is fast. So unless there is a decent clock rate increase from the i5->i7 I'd be surprised if you saw much of a gain.

Fwiw I had an i5 mbp with integrated intel graphics and had similar numbers.

Look at the razer blade and xps 15. For eq on both of those machines you'll want the full hd screen to avoid fucky scaling bullshit.
Last edited by khanable; 03-20-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

My opinion is that Titanium seems to mostly process from your GPU and CPU isn't as important.

I noticed a pretty huge leap in performance with keeping my dated CPU intact and upgrading my GPU alone.

Could it be not enough vram on your GPU? I'm getting stable 144fps with an i7-2600 and 1060 6gb.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 03-20-2017 at 03:36 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Sarnak

Loramin posted this link in 2014 which still updates based on the current markets GPU's: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compari...rds.130.0.html The cards at the top of the page are the best GPU performance ranked in descending order and rated by different 'classes'.

The GTX 940MX is in the "Mid-Range Graphics Cards - With these GPUs you are able to play modern and demanding games fluently at medium detail settings and HD resolution." Albeit still in class 2, it is at the near bottom of the list - only a few cards above the entry level tier for Low-Midrange Graphics Cards.

The thing is, this chart rates graphics based on current modern games (I assume within the last 3 years..how can an optimized old game with the titanium still not get 60 fps when the GPU's of gaming laptops of maybe..2007-2010 would theoretically blow p99's titanium architecture out of the water?

To Sage: which laptop do you have at the moment? I found that a lot of the current 1060's are full-tilt gaming laptops around 6 lbs and a little unwieldy and hot for traditional 'lap-top' use, even with a 15.6"
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 03-20-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

That was for a desktop, sorry for confusion. For help picking your laptop maybe try checking out this link, The Wirecutter is a pretty legit/independent review site: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptop/
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

I think I should just call it a day and grab a Razer Blade 14" and just be done with it. I usually go through a game influx every few months where I get heavy into p99 for 3-4 months, then go back to ark, then wow, and back to p99 so I guess I should buy something that can handle Ark more so than just filtering for p99.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

I just bought a 14" gaming laptop ..but not a razerblade..

MSI GS43VR ...and its awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] with win 10 have to add a few regkeys to get optimus to skip driver signing and let P99 use the 1060..but its a beast..I play full shadows, full sky, full spell effects everything and was at 100FPS (capped) this morning at raid..
Old 03-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just bought a 14" gaming laptop ..but not a razerblade..

MSI GS43VR ...and its awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] with win 10 have to add a few regkeys to get optimus to skip driver signing and let P99 use the 1060..but its a beast..I play full shadows, full sky, full spell effects everything and was at 100FPS (capped) this morning at raid..
I was looking really closely at the GS63VR when I ruled the Asus ROG GL502VM out as it is wayyy too heavy. Curious, how are your temps on the one you have now? Can you reasonably play p99 for a long time on the lap or does the gtx 1060 get too hot for sustained use?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Planar Protector

Hey, if you're willing to throw money at the problem the razer blade is certainly going to solve your issues!

For shits & giggles I underclocked my CPU to take a look at the impact on framerate. 6700k desktop with a GTX 1070. Game was in 1920x1200 using the lowest resolution textures possible (ie, I'm not using the fancy higher-res official pack). 8x AA was forced and I didn't care enough to turn it off.

1ghz: 19FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
2.2ghz: 49FPS in EC with tons of people on screen
4.5ghz: over 100FPS in EC with tons of people on screen

YMMV, and I'm way too lazy to pull my 1070 to see how it compares to the intel integrated graphics [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

i also use the lenovo yoga dude!

it's a good work comp but bad 4 games