Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The idea wasn't to rewrite PoP at all actually. The only thing you would have to do is place the important NPCs that are in PoK and PoT in to the old world zones.
Rewriting PoP will be required to make it enjoyable without Luclin or PoK/PoT (maybe if you allow 2 boxed druids/wizards specifically for the new multi-hour long travel requirements...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't have the moon you don't need teleporters to it.

If you don't have the creatures on the moon, you don't need bane weapons for them.

And you would still end up with cats on the moon.
Bad argument is bad argument. Skipping an expansion due to disliked elements means Project1999 wouldn't exist.

Quote:
Anyway, I still stand by the fact that by introducing Luclin you are introducing the Bazaar and cities that any race can roam around freely in by default which equals central hubs that everyone can congregate to with practically zero work or risk. This defeats the purpose of getting rid of the Plane of Knowledge. If you include places like Katta Castellum, Sanctus Seru, (and more importantly) Shadow Haven, The Bazaar and The Nexus then what's the point of leaving out PoK?
I don't understand this reason at all. Players create central hubs even if game designers don't. A central hub more convenient to all players makes all players happier. Less time wasted per day equates to days of /played time saved.

The debate over EC-NFP-GFay establishes the central hub that everyone congregates. EC wins because it is equidistant from good banks, evil banks, low level zones, mid level zones, original EQ high level zones, boats, and wizard/druid port locations. EC won because it has the least amount of time wasted and player hatred.

If you want a certain race/class/deity combo to have to work at faction, then make them work at faction in PoK/Shadowhaven/Bazaar/wherever. Place original EQ/Kunark NPCs and factions throughout the various sections of those cities (but expect a major backlash from players because arbitrary time sinks suck - hello bane weapons and travel time).

Quote:
The lower level Luclin zones only serve to detract from all the lower level zones already available in Norrath. I highly doubt the server population would ever get so big that it would warrant adding those tons and tons of locations.
How many say the same things about Kunark outdoor zones? Aside from loot and easing overcrowding issues, they are as useless. So are the Karanas and the Deserts of Ro.

Quote:
Basically the only reason Luclin worked was because The Nexus and those hub cities existed. Without them it's simply not convenient to adventure there.
If Luclin won't work without hub cities, how will PoP work without them? See above for the multi-hour travel time from zone to zone. Lavastorm to Plane of Growth for a pick up group... North Karana to Kaladim...

Quote:
The Nexus and those hub cities just so happen to be the cause of, what many agree, started the decline of Everquest.
I don't know of anyone who dislikes hub cities yet liked the contentious issues of Luclin and PoP (grueling expansion schedule, AA grind, keys/flags, mudflation, new lore, etc). Hub cities get included to make a list look bigger and more menacing but no one will bother creating a list where hub cities is the number one flaw. Such a game will literally be perfect.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just the thought of luclin, horses, char models, and the effing moon, make me want to eq all over again
fawk.

make me want to quit* eq all over again
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassracerx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
am i the only one who liked luclin? back when luclin came out it was so amazing!
I liked it aswell. It wasn't my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if the lore was weak.

Having to wait 15 minutes (or whatever it was) for a port up and then some more time to port down to another continent didn't hinge on the porting classes, IMO. It was done well. You still had to run a few zones to where you had to go. PoK clicky books were horrible. You were essentially 3 zones away from everything in game.

On the PoK NPC relocation, are you serious? do you know how much effort would be involved in relocating ALL of those NPC's? You're talking hundreds and hundreds of quests that need to be thought out to make sure they still have the original intent (can all classes get to those places now, etc).
Last edited by moklianne; 04-16-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

I significant note here: enabling ANY of the PoP zones AUTOMATICALLY enables Luclin Models [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Beware of screenshots [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Kobold

The only Luclin model I liked was Iksar and male Gnomes >.>

(10:59:44 PM) Haze1: your cat is cuter than naez's confirmed
Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassracerx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
am i the only one who liked luclin?
i liked luclin alot, especially AAexp. the real problem with luclin was the endless boring quest for emp key. and what i didn't like either was high-end buffs with 3+ hours duration.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

I going to make a personal list of Luclin Cons and Pros:

Pros:

-Significant upgrade to environment graphics - new amazing design zones like Ssra, TV, Seru, Kata, Deep
-New player models! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ok not all of them as great as they could be, but mostly better and more realistic that they were before. Exceptions probably the shorties - they never were very different to begin with, but now they totally indistinguishable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Most of the new npc models are very cool - Gorgons, Shissar, fungoid fiends
-Vah Shir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Ok given that players (myself included) were asking for Kerrans to be made playable, but oh well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Beastlords - just awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Horses!
-new weapon models

Cons:

-Nexus and Hubs (factionless Shadow Heaven) - could have been done better rather than all out access (thought PoK was way worse)
-Some silly looking mobs: netherian 'aliens', rockhoppers (cartoony looking dinos)
-unequal zone range progression - many redundant areas
-despite massive new high def textures, still poor outdoor zone design - barely any landmark features (just like the old world)
-pain in the arse Seru/VT key progression, which requires ton of individual farming which is totally pointless time-sink (same goes for bane weapon quest which has to be for just a single mob in netire expansion)

Uncertainty:
-AAs - interesting concept in theory but poor implementation in a form of endless grinding. I would design this better

overall i would give Luclin 8/10 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Kika Maslyaka; 04-17-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Beastlords - just awesome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Iksar Beastlords - Even more awesome
FYP.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Skeleton

My own list of Luclin pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Tradeskills - Misty Thicket Picnic , Earring of the Solstice, and more
  • Focus Effects - not all items get focus effects retroactively
  • Burrower event
  • Ring of Fire
  • Fungus Grove caller events
  • oodles of mini-raid targets - Rumblecrush, Zelnithak, etc
  • custom UIs - Moot point considering the Titanium client, but still a postitive
  • Bazaar - So much stuff is less valuable than the time lost trying to sell said stuff. The Bazaar gives value to those items, the sellers wanting to sell the items and the buyers looking to buy the items.

Cons:
  • The best parts of Luclin weren't designed for the NToV crowd.
  • The pinnacle of Luclin was a massive letdown compared to the mobs/events/raids/design leading up to the pinnacle. The climb was better than the view from the top. For a lot of players, the climb happened in Velious, not Luclin.
  • Bazaar had the bass ackwards design of staying logged into the game but unable to play your character.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goryani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My own list of Luclin pros and cons.
I would add:

Con: Paludal Caverns' huge +exp modifier trivialised all other leveling content from L4 to ~L23 (Or you can call it a pro if you are into powerleveling)

Pro: squishing Grimlings never got old for me
Closed Thread